Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Christmas Tree Skirt - tips for cutting centre hole and opening? >

Christmas Tree Skirt - tips for cutting centre hole and opening?

Christmas Tree Skirt - tips for cutting centre hole and opening?

Old 08-05-2020, 01:14 PM

Default Christmas Tree Skirt - tips for cutting centre hole and opening?

Hi all,

I'm in the process of making my first ever Christmas tree skirt, and have got to the point where I have to cut the centre hole and also the opening through the skirt itself so that it can be placed around the tree.

The pattern I have essentially says 'stay stitch either side of where you intend to cut the centre hole and opening, and then cut the centre hole and opening' with no further guidance/tips as to how to reduce the likelihood of messing up.

I've spent a lot of time and effort on this tree skirt, and would really like any tips anyone has as to how to perform the surgery with the best likelihood of a decent outcome.

It's a carpenters star pattern, if that makes any difference.

Specifically I'm wondering if it is best to cut the opening up a seam, or up the middle of a section to avoid the seam? Does this even matter? But any advice would be most welcome!!

Thank you in advance
Old 08-05-2020, 02:17 PM

You don’t want to open a seam if you are binding the edge. That puts an extra 1/2 inch on your skirt. I cut where I felt appropriate and then do the center. You want to know if it is for a fake tree or real. The center can be smaller for a fake tree. Use whatever you have to draw the center ( a small glass, I used a small candle). Here is the one I did for a niece in her colors
Attached Thumbnails f7058106-4e71-4551-8501-1ac1ce7478c8.jpeg  
Old 08-05-2020, 02:21 PM

I should add that I quilted it before cutting the circle. I trimmed the 1/4 “ seams where I left it open and butted the edges together before basting
Old 08-05-2020, 04:00 PM
Power Poster

Measure the trunk of the tree so you get a nice fit. Find a circle that looks good with a little extra room for the binding to go around. Take a piece of construction paper and cut the circle out and and place the paper around the trunk to see how you like it. If it looks good, trace the circle on your skirt with a frixion or chalk pen and stitch 1/8 in from the line on the quilted skirt before cutting out the circle. You can always cut the circle bigger if needed but you can’t put the fabric back if you cut it to big to start.
Old 08-06-2020, 06:19 AM

In my personal experience, don’t cut too big of a hole. I always mess up that part. It still works, but is nicer if it’s not too big. After I cut the back slit and the hole, I bind the open part and hole with regular quilt binding cut on the bias.
Old 08-06-2020, 06:48 AM

I used a coffee cup to mark the hole in my skirt. I only made the one for my own tree about 20 years ago. I was not to concerned as the pattern I used at the time directed me on where I was putting the opening,. I only wish I still had that pattern. I was able to SITD around the pattern of the quilt. It was much larger than I expected when it was finished. That was a delight. I stay stitched initially around the opening and the circle then did a holiday decorative stitch to finish it off and cover the stay stitching.
Old 08-06-2020, 08:00 AM

I would use a 1/2 inch fusible tape along the cut line. You can add stay-stitching along each side of the tape to hold everything together when cut.

Then cut the opening down the center of the fusible tape. Add the binding on the skirt.

You have reminded me that I need to get busy and make one too.
Old 08-08-2020, 06:23 AM

Thank you everyone for your advice.

I've taken the plunge and did the necessary cutting this morning. And it all appears to be going well.

I have machine-stitched one side of the binding, and just need to hand stitch it to the front and add the closure tabs (not integrated to the binding, but separate 'feature').

And then it will be finished, and I will be very pleased. I've only been meaning to make a tree skirt for about the past 20 years or so...

Last edited by Panchita; 08-08-2020 at 06:23 AM. Reason: spelling