Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Civil War GFG samples-What do you think?

I LIKEE! You don't want you can send to me! I am saving civil war fabric for my second CW quilt. DH loved his first one so much.
    Born to Quilt, Forced to work. Retired and quilting!

I love what you have done with these fabrics. They should be beautiful when combined together!

I think the muslin background would work but I like the idea of using the cheddar color or maybe a light tan color. Pathways were traditionaly green so using a dark green in the CW fabrics would look great. The pathway can be diamond or hexagon shaped. There is a link to the QB Quilt Gallery in the QB, I think it's the 2nd or 3rd post. Look there at the GFG pictures. There are a few with the green pathway and you get to see several ways to arrange your GFG blocks. I think it will be beautiful when finished!
    Kathleen, a lass with a bit of the Irish in her blood and a whole lot of Irish in her heart

They look lovely and challenging to make.

I like them. I recall that you had some concerns but these are likely true to the genre.

Love it!! I'm a civil war fabric addict!!

I love your blocks. Civil war reproductions are my favorite fabrics. Takes a lot of patience to make this pattern. The only suggestion I would make is to use a softer color fabric for the outside rounds versus the muslin. I too would look at pictures on line to determine what shade to go with tho. Beautiful work.

These are lovely. Keep going just the way you started. froggyintexas
    Quote Originally Posted by rrhaigh View Post
    I recently posted that I had cut out 2000 squares (2.5") of Civil War fabric to make a Grandmother's Flower Garden quilt. However, after I cut them out they seemed too dull for that type of pattern. I basted some together and laid them out on top of muslin to see how they look. What do you think? Too dull?Attachment 345940

Lovely! Keep on making em and be sure to post pictures again later so we can see the top when done. I think it will be great!

I LOVE these! Please finish it...it's going to be gorgeous. Civil War fabrics are one of my favorites!!
    Karen in Kentucky

Quote Originally Posted by rrhaigh View Post
    I recently posted that I had cut out 2000 squares (2.5") of Civil War fabric to make a Grandmother's Flower Garden quilt. However, after I cut them out they seemed too dull for that type of pattern. I basted some together and laid them out on top of muslin to see how they look. What do you think? Too dull?
    Here's a mockup with different greens. Personally, I love the dark, dark green background, since it seem to make the flowers more vibrant.
    Name:  Background Variation.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  134.6 KB

I would not change a thing. these are so pretty.

Blog Entries
    I think they are beautiful. Remember, Civil War fabrics never were bright, these are gorgeous. Leave them like they are.

I think the quilt will be beautiful. Keep going and when you are finished please post pictures!!

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    I am a big fan of Civil War fabric. I recently took a king size quilt to my LQS to be LA and the gal tried politely to explain how she would LA it. She was trying to describe my fabric and she called it "muddy" and I told her it was Civil War fabric and then she got it. I have to order Civil War fabric online because I can't get it any place around me (2 hours drive even). Some people love it and some people just don't get it, I guess. But it's my all time favorite fabric. I hoard CW fabric!!
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

I think your hexagons are lovely, they have a lovely old-fashioned look.
    Liz Fairlie

The blocks have a warm, comforting look.
    http://www.oregonquilting.net
    I choose to give my life away for things that last forever

I love these, and I love civil war fabrics, they always seem homey to me, I guess they are a comfort fabric. Can't wait to see more.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat625 View Post
    Not in the least dul!! I love the civil war era fabrics..I want to use them for my daughters wedding quilt..Where did you get your fabrics from? I love the combinations and prints!!
    I have been collecting them for a couple of years now from LQS. I always check the sale room and when I find a Civil War I like I buy the yard bundle at a nice reduced cost. When I cut these fabrics I also cut a 2.5" strip to make some jelly rolls for another project someday!
    Robin
    robinsquiltingroom.blogspot.com
    Southern California

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
    I am a big fan of Civil War fabric. I recently took a king size quilt to my LQS to be LA and the gal tried politely to explain how she would LA it. She was trying to describe my fabric and she called it "muddy" and I told her it was Civil War fabric and then she got it. I have to order Civil War fabric online because I can't get it any place around me (2 hours drive even). Some people love it and some people just don't get it, I guess. But it's my all time favorite fabric. I hoard CW fabric!!
    I have been very spoiled - a LQS just 15 minutes from my house stocks lots of CW fabric. But, sadly they are closing in August unless someone purchases the store. There is another shop about 1/2 hour from me, but with a smaller collection.
    Robin
    Southern California

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by catmcclure View Post
    Here's a mockup with different greens. Personally, I love the dark, dark green background, since it seem to make the flowers more vibrant.
    Name:  Background Variation.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  134.6 KB
    Wow, how did you do that???? Thank you soooooo much. You are absolutely correct, the dark green makes them pop!! I have switched around the hexigons and put all medium or dark on outside, but on the light muslin it still looked washed out. Now, thanks to you, I KNOW I need a dark background! I can't thank you enough!
    Robin
    Southern California

Perfect - keep going!
    Linda

Quote Originally Posted by decky View Post
    I iike the soft colors that you have chosen, I would say go for it.

Pat in MN
    I think the colors are just right. Not washed out at all... soothing. I love Civil War fabrics anyway & this is going to be one spectacular quilt! Great job!!!
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dottiequilts View Post
    I just got "English Paper Piecing" by Vicki Bellino. There is a quilt in there done with similar colors. It has a black outer fabric that has hints of gold in it. The quilt in the book is gorgeous, and yours will be too. I just started one in red, white and blue fabrics for my nephew.
    Would love to see yours!!!!
    Robin
    Southern California

Power Poster
    The very dark green 'pathways' really brightens the other fabrics.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast