Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Which class should I pick?!!! >

Which class should I pick?!!!

Which class should I pick?!!!

Old 06-27-2016, 11:01 PM

Default Which class should I pick?!!!

Help! I was gifted a free Craftsy class (up to $70 value) and don't know which one to pick (what a problem to have, right?).

I know I want a class either about FMQ on my DSM (Bernina 350 -- very basic machine) or maybe about hand quilting. I'm more interested in learning more techniques than having a specific project & I fit into the "Intermediate" category for FMQ, and "Beginner" for hand quilting.

Here are the ones I'm considering -- though I'm open to almost anything:

Creative Quilting with Your Walking Foot (Jacquie Gering)
Next Steps with Your Walking Foot (Jacquie Gering)
Quilting with Rulers on a Home Machine (Amy Johnson)
Free Motion & More Machine Quilting (Wendy Butler Berns)
Free Motion Fillers, vol 1 (Leah Day)
Machine Quilting Wholecloth Quilts (Cindy Needham)
Creative Free Motion Techniques (Lori Kennedy)
Design It, Quilt It: Free Form Techniques (Cindy Needham)
Hand Quilting (Andi Peredja)
Ultimate Free Motion Quilting (Patsy Thompson)
Ultimate Free Motion Feathers (Patsy Thompson)
Exploring Natural Machine Quilting Motifs (Linda Bratten)

Any "reviews" of classes you've taken, recommendations or wild-guess votes that you picked out of a hat are welcome.
Old 06-28-2016, 01:35 AM
Power Poster

I got an offer for a free Craftsy class from JAF. Not sure if I will sign up or not.
Old 06-28-2016, 01:37 AM

I really enjoyed the Walking Foot classes with Jacquie. She's fun to listen to and I love using my walking foot for quilting.

Craftsy is such a great way to learn.
Old 06-28-2016, 02:04 AM

From the classes on your list these three would be the ones I would choose as an intermediate quilter-
Design It, Quilt It: Free Form Techniques (Cindy Needham), really good use of stencils and marking to create planned free motion designs
Creative Free Motion Techniques (Lori Kennedy), love the way she builds motifs that i would have thought that i needed to draw or stencil before i took her class
Ultimate Free Motion Quilting (Patsy Thompson), could just quilt the fabric and never piece anything with her ideas, lots of colour
machine quilting with templates with kimmy brunner- not on your list but this class was very helpful to create designs with rulers (she calls them stencils) - she works on a long arm so it is about the designs you would need to know how to use the rulers with your machine already
Old 06-28-2016, 02:09 AM

I think I've taken most of those except the walking foot and the Wendy Bulter Berns one. Leah Day is great but you can find most of that course elsewhere for free. Cindy Needham is very good but my suggestion would be Patsy Thompson. You should do the ultimate free motion quilting course first as the other follows up on it. My second recommendation would be either the Amy Johnson or the Lori Kennedy course.
Old 06-28-2016, 04:20 AM
Power Poster

I love Craftsy classes. Check out a free class to see if your internet will stream it without problems.
Old 06-28-2016, 04:27 AM

Of the ones you are the most interested in, chose the most expensive one. The good thing is that once you have a class its yours for life so you can keep on revisiting it as long as you need too.
Old 06-28-2016, 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
I got an offer for a free Craftsy class from JAF. Not sure if I will sign up or not.

why not, its free and they have lots to offer, along with lots of free classes for everything from cake decorating, quilting, garment making and alterations, etc. Love Angela Wolfe, shes great, even in person
Old 06-28-2016, 04:46 AM

I have taken most of those. Just picking from the ones you mentioned these are the ones I'd go with in no particular order:

For Intermediate Fmq instruction:

Design it Quilt it with Cindy Needham, Ultimate free motion with Patsy Thompson or Amy Johnson's quilting with rulers.

Cindy's class focuses on how to design your Fmq so that it works with your quilt. Her tips for planning a design and pulling elements from different sources are very good.

Patsy's courses focus on adding extra wow factor by incorporating what she calls "hyperquilting"
Which includes adding in extra details with contrasting thread colors in your Fmq designs and doing things like selectively quilting some areas more densely than others to achieve textural and dimensional differences. In one of her courses she does some work with trapunto effect--I can't remember which one but either course is quite good.

Amy Johnson is also a fantastic teacher and quilting with rulers on a home machine is her introduction to using rulers. If you have not done ruler work then this would be a great introduction.

I use techniques that I learned from all three of these instructors in my quilts.

Rob

Last edited by rryder; 06-28-2016 at 04:49 AM.
Old 06-28-2016, 04:50 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
It's free and it's quilting.