Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Coats threads

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by RUSewing
    I've used Coats & Clark Dual Duty thread for YEARS with no complaints or problems (both piecing and quilting charity baaby quilts).
    I've also used the "old" (cotton covered polyester thread) Coats & Clark thread for years with no problems.

I have not used the "new" polyester covered polyester thread, so have no opinion about it.

I used it for many years but then started having trouble with it. I bought a new Janome in February and the dealer told me not to use C&C. Said it is not smooth enough and has actually been known to ruin the tension thingy (my scientific term) on the machine.

Blog Entries
    Will use for piecing-- to FMQ it tends to shred not only on top but also on the bobbins, now use connecting threads. I do miss the shine of the C&C on top. Botton line it works for some-- a not others. Mine was 50% off so will get it used up.

When I started using better thread (Aurifil and Masterpiece), a lot of my piecing and sewing problems disappeared. I used to think C&C was just fine, until I used something better. Less lint, no breaks, no tangles, flat seam, rare tension issues. It's worth it to me. Just TRY a spool of higher quality thread in neutral for piecing and something fabulous for quilting and see if you might not also enjoy it.

I have heard good and bad. Really it is up to your machine. Mine is finicky. So no coats and clark for me. I suggest a test run.

Quote Originally Posted by quilt queen 2
    This was all I used for years until I had trouble with it getting slubs and breaking even for hand sewing I tried to use some for binding last week and the same thing happened. This started to happen to me about 3 1/2 years ago.
    I too used it for many years. I think it is great for a regular machine. My new 7700 doesn't like it very well.

I was getting low on my all cotton thread, so I picked up a spool of Coats all cotton at JoAnn's. I was sewing some patches last night and it was so frustrating that it would constantly break. I was trying to figure out why all of a sudden I had threads breaking. I was thinking I should get on here to ask why it would all of a sudden start. I've been piecing for YBR for a couple of weeks and hadn't had tread breaking until last night. I think I found my answer here.

I don't care for Coats thread. Too much breakage and lots of lint.

Quote Originally Posted by Candace
    IMO, one of the lowest quality threads on the market. With so many better options, I buy other thread.
    ditto

Works great for me. I also piece with serger thread.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sewnsewer2
    Works great for me. I also piece with serger thread.
    I have also.

I'm not fussy I guess, because Coats is fine (AND prefered!) by me! Ditto, surger thread is fine too. I've never had any breakage or faulty seams.

Thanks for all these replies. Lots of different opinions! I'll have to give the threads a try and see if my machine and I like them.

I do not like this thread at all to much lint too much breakage since it moved out of country years ago the quality has deteriorated alot

I have always used Coats & Clarks.

I've used coats and clark too. And well I ended up switching thread because I think my machine is a thread snob too. I now buy my thread at my LQS.

Blog Entries
    My Husky 875 doesn't like it. It seems to have more lint than the better quality thread. Just my two bits!

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by annesthreads
    Thanks for all these replies. Lots of different opinions! I'll have to give the threads a try and see if my machine and I like them.
    If I remember correctly, you have a Janome 4400? My 6600 works a treat with YLI soft touch for piecing (I'm in the UK too!). I used to buy it online from Jaycotts but they seem to have stopped stocking it, however two of my LQS stock it. I also use Aurifil for piecing and quilting and Masterpiece and King Tut for quilting, Bottom Line in the bobbin. Superior Threads (ie the last 3 I mentioned) I get online from http://www.craftyquilter.co.uk/ . Joanna there is brilliant, excellent fast service and will get you any colour you like if she doesn't have it in stock. She got me the shadecards which are made up with real thread so you can order the colour you want with confidence.

I have no experience of Coats though, sorry. I have a friend with the same machine as I and in addition to YLI and Superior, she also uses Mettler with great success I believe, for quilting. :-D

I use Coats & Clark for most all my sewing. The only problem I have is sometimes when I'm hand sewing it will get weak at the needle. I have to remember to move it every so often so it moves down the thread. I know one prize winning quilter who uses C & C exclusively because of the little wisps on the thread. It makes the quilting look better for her. I've taken a class from her and she says it is the best thread for her to use.

My machines do not like C&C.....I use for handsewing.
    My love of the moment is Aurafil.

I would not use this thread for quilting. A low quality thread.

I use Coats & Clarks machine quilting thread and have had no problem but have had problems in the past with the dual duty.

Quote Originally Posted by k3nIf I remember correctly, you have a Janome 4400? My 6600 works a treat with YLI soft touch for piecing (I'm in the UK too!). I used to buy it online from Jaycotts but they seem to have stopped stocking it, however two of my LQS stock it. I also use Aurifil for piecing and quilting and Masterpiece and King Tut for quilting, Bottom Line in the bobbin. Superior Threads (ie the last 3 I mentioned) I get online from [url=http://www.craftyquilter.co.uk/
    http://www.craftyquilter.co.uk/[/url] . Joanna there is brilliant, excellent fast service and will get you any colour you like if she doesn't have it in stock. She got me the shadecards which are made up with real thread so you can order the colour you want with confidence.
    Thanks for this. My machine is a Janome 4800 and at the moment NO thread works for quilting! Am waiting for the Janome bobbin case for FMQ to arrive. I like Superior threads too. When I started quilting I tried YLI, but my machine hates it: the top thread always jams. Love Superior's invisible thread: it's so soft, and even my temperamental beast will do good in-the-ditch quilting with that and Bottom Line. I was just curious about the Coats thread because I've never seen it here before, and it would be useful when I need some thread quickly because John Lewis are stocking it -replacing the late-lamented Sylko, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by k3n
    I have no experience of Coats though, sorry. I have a friend with the same machine as I and in addition to YLI and Superior, she also uses Mettler with great success I believe, for quilting. :-D
    I think you mean me K? :D

Just to be specific, it's Mettler "Silk Finish" I like for quilting, in case anyone thinks its Mettler Quilting.
    Silk Finish is a 50/3 and therefore finer than the 40/3 quilting thread.

I use Coats & Clark with no problems. I have Janome 6600P and it has no problems with the thread. I also use it for appiques for years without any problems.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast