Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Color help >

Color help

Color help

Old 10-05-2012, 06:46 PM

Sometimes you can get the "feel" of batik, with other fabrics (think blenders). Shades of blue would also be nice, for the rest of the quilt.

As for the quilt shop lady's opinion - just remember she works at a quilt shop. She is not an artist! She is not an art teacher. Her opinion is just that - HER OPINION. Go with what looks right, to you.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:32 PM

Being a gamer (granted I am female) I really like the idea of going with the "Link" colors (blue, brown, white, gold, a nice deep red would also add some impact)--and I second the suggestion of maybe doing a black-on-black to give it a bit of "texture"....Also I adore that Scribble fabric...I dont need it, but I am sitting here trying to justify why I should by some....just in case....
Old 10-05-2012, 08:41 PM

I think you should follow the suggestions for going with the Link colors and no others. I would also not put a pattern in it unless it is the black on black - definitely no prints of any kind. No men in my family think prints of ANY kind are masculine looking in a quilt. LOL And I would back it with the black you use on the front. Please show us a picture when it is finished.
Old 10-06-2012, 07:10 AM

What do you guys mean by 'black on black'??
Old 10-06-2012, 07:15 AM
MTS
Banned

Originally Posted by LLWinston44 View Post
What do you guys mean by 'black on black'??
Tone-on-Tone.
Old 10-06-2012, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by LLWinston44 View Post
One of my biggest problems is color. I don't know why. Ok so I'm making my son, who's in Afghanistan, his requested quilt. I am going to do this pattern http://www.connectingthreads.com/cfT...ations&isKit=1 minus the middle colors and corners. They'll be black and then I'm going to applique a shield http://technabob.com/blog/wp-content...me-shields.jpg (the one on the right just fyi) in the middle and the corners will have the yellow triangle thing. lol. Okay so I'm just not sure what to do for the rest of the quilt colors. This HAS to look like a 'guys' quilt, and I just think the bright colors look kind of 'girly'..... Someone suggested to do different variation of greys but that just seems to drab. I had thought to do the colors of the shield, but someone told me that would be to plain. I just don't know what to do. And I'm such a perfectionist...... I want to make a quilt he'll use and LOVE using, not one he'll just 'have'.... I made one for someone once that they just 'liked' and they never used it and I NEVER want to do that again, but it's made me way to OCD..... lol I went in the LQS and the lady there, whom I've never seen, was SO appalling, telling me I was just being too difficult and that there's no such thing as the perfect quilt... totally poo pooed my putting the shield in the entire center, but to only put a small one in the small center square portion. I'm NOT going to do that..... the shield is the ENTIRE purpose for the quilt! Made me sad. I'm already uncertain enough and all that did was to make it worse. lol Ugh!

Suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks in advance! <3

Go drag a plaid shirt out of his (or your hubby's closet). Use the colors in one you like. I'd problaby go with a brick red, bright navy, forest green, maybe a couple of the grays, a purple that is dark and ..................
Old 10-06-2012, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by TanyaL View Post
I think you should follow the suggestions for going with the Link colors and no others. I would also not put a pattern in it unless it is the black on black - definitely no prints of any kind. No men in my family think prints of ANY kind are masculine looking in a quilt. LOL And I would back it with the black you use on the front. Please show us a picture when it is finished.

Mercy, your guys must be dull dressers!
Old 10-06-2012, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie View Post
Go drag a plaid shirt out of his (or your hubby's closet). Use the colors in one you like. I'd problaby go with a brick red, bright navy, forest green, maybe a couple of the grays, a purple that is dark and ..................
Someone up the line suggested a gold---------a really deep dark gold would make a great addition---------maybe just on the ends of the star points----------or the most inner part of the point.
Old 10-06-2012, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie View Post
Someone up the line suggested a gold---------a really deep dark gold would make a great addition---------maybe just on the ends of the star points----------or the most inner part of the point.
And please do use some print design-------------best choice would be a nondescript batik.
Old 10-06-2012, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by irishrose View Post
You are on the right track with the red, black, gold or dark yellow and blue, but think beyond solids and look for prints in those colors. Even the black could be black on black. The Jewel Box quilt I made with Moda Marble Swirls and a BOB does not look girly, though mine had too much pink, purple and orange for your purposes.
http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...x-t187015.html
Batiks are another possibility. Scribbles from Marshall Dry Goods is another coordinating line. I don't care for the black, but the rest have possibilities.
http://www.marshalldrygoods.com/?gcl...FehDMgodzlkA1w
Whatever you do choose he will love it. It's time to start. Give him our best wishes and thank yous from another Marine Corps (prior) mother.
I love those scribbles. Great for a guy without looking a bit girly!