Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Color of Thread you use

Red face Color of Thread you use

I was just wondering what color of thread you us when piecing. I only have 2 colors tan and gray. I find that these work with everything. Makes ordering new thread easy. I also only use Aurifil. I have used others in the past but they seemed to have a lot more lint in my machine. Aurifil doesn't seem to have as much lint. Thanks for letting me know what you use.
    DonnaR
    Grammy to Isaiah and Ruth

I do the same......beige and grey......works for all. Now, for quilting................another story....:')..............

I tend to use beige and gray too because they are neutral. Although if it isn't an 'important' quilt, I just use whatever color is closest in the type of thread I want. (I piece with cotton, but I quilt 50/50 with cotton or poly depending on what I'm doing.)

i also use aurifil . cream, tan ,gray. nothing better than aurifil thread
    ​debra

Tan & grey it is! My first quilting teacher said she only ever used grey but I use tan depending on the color & shade of the fabric. I am interested I Aurifil. Somehow I have only just fou d out about this thread. I thought Mettler was good thread because my LQS started carrying it a year or so ago. Is Aurifil worth the money? Where do you buy it?
    Thanks!
    'You Must Do The Thing That You Think You Cannot Do'
    ~Eleanor Roosevelt

I have white, gray and black for piecing. And only Aurifil - love that stuff.
    I'd rather be at the lake

Do one thing every day that scares you... Eleanor Roosevelt

aurifil is terrific. A spool seems expensive, but seems to last forever!

I usually use tan for piecing. I have multiple spools of various shades of tan Aurifil handy so I keep one on my machine ready to make bobbins, another in my machine(s), a few in my "to go" caddy, and a few in my thread drawer. I have Mettler and Presencia brands as well, both sold by my LQS as high quality, but I prefer Aurifil.

I do the same mostly beige and gray.. but when I work on white I use white.

I used to use ecru but I found that it stood out against several fabrics. I was out once and used a light, sagey green and it blends better than any other color I've used so far.

I like to match the color of the thread to the lightest color I'm using but that's mostly just because I love colors! I do stock up on beige and use that as my "go-to" if I don't have another color or just don't feel like winding up fresh bobbins.

I order my Aurifil online and it is about 10-12 per spool. I know that sounds expensive but it last for a really long time.
    DonnaR
    Grammy to Isaiah and Ruth

Blog Entries
    I had a khaki colored thread that seemed to go with everything. Then the dog got hold of the spool and chewed it up. Haven't replaced it yet but I intend to. I use cream, tan, black or white. I've also matched to the dominant color I'm piecing. Just depends on what I'm sewing and which threads I have on hand.

Yup, I use Aurifil thread, white thread with white fabric, other times grey, taupe or light green.

Power Poster
    I also use a light sagey green. The other color that I like for medium to dark colors is a grayish green.

Same, here, beige or grey. sometimes a lighter ecru for really light stuff I mostly use Aurifil. Love it in my bobbin, I don't have to fill it as often!

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!

I'm another Aurifil girl - cream, beige (tan), grey and black. Over here there's very little difference in price between Aurifil (8.00 for 1300 metres) and Gutermann (6.60 for 800 metres).

In fact, now that I see it, Aurifil works out cheaper!

I'm also about to switch to the variegated for quilting too.
    Lang may yer lum reek. (I'm a knitter - hence - 'Knit-ette'. Confuses a lot of people!)

Blog Entries
    Auriful, light grey, off-white and cream. Love Auriful and my machines do too.

My commercial dealer had a sale and I bought this 6,000 m of a gray/green. Really hides in lots of colors and I love this no name thread. Use lots of different stuff on the long arm.
    Judi in Ohio

Blog Entries
    I guess I am the rebel here. Right now I use whatever color I have - whatever brand - whatever type (cotton or blend) when I am piecing that my Husky will work with. I have a ton of thread (another stash), and I am slowly going through it. Now I only buy Aurifil and use Aurifil for quilting, and I have just discovered Madeira 60wt. monopoly for SID, I love it. Looks beautiful, and no problems using it on my Husky 875Q. I also upscaled to Klasse topstitch needles for quilting. Love them.
    If life gives you lemons, make a margarita.

When piecing anything with white in it, white thread it is. For any other color fabrics, I use whatever shade I have handy....usually trying to use up the older, not so fashionable colors. Bobbins are the same.....I will fill 5-6 at a time for FMQ and the leftovers get used first in the next project. I know that my methods aren't to standard, but I refuse to waste thread and this is a good way to use it up and empty bobbins.

Tan and gray for me also.

I use white when piecing with white (which I don't do very often. I'm not a huge fan of white) and I use offwhite or black depending on if it's a light or dark color.

I use Aurifil in beige, gray, black or white for piecing. So much easier than trying to match colors and they all blend in so well. My machine runs best on Aurifil, so I try not to irritate it by using other thread it might not like.
    Wendy in FL

If I had a dollar for every time I got distracted I wish I had some ice cream.

Blog Entries

I use Essential Egyptian Cotton Thread in the natural colorl. Have used it for years. Love it, reasonably priced, 1,200 yards. I usually buy 12 at a time. The colors are beautiful, but I do use the natural for piecing. Cannot complain one little bit. My Singer is happy with it also. I get mine from Connecting Threads. Edie
    Last edited by Edie; 08-13-2013 at 04:27 AM.
    Home is where the rags of your life are turned into quilts, lemons become lemonade and a few extra pounds are simply welcomed as "more of you to love."
    I am so confused. I don't know if I found a rope or lost my horse."

BELIEVE

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast