Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Color wheel >

Color wheel

Color wheel

Old 04-17-2022, 04:44 PM
Power Poster

The color wheel helps when tying to make a quilt with random fabrics. The pre cut fabric all work together because the colors are the same hue, tint, and colors aren't fighting each other. I have put together some amazing fabric choices. If you take a charm pack of Kaffe Fassett fabric and put each fabric on the color wheel, they all go together even if they seem to contrast and be random.
Old 04-17-2022, 05:39 PM

I recently purchased the 3 in 1 color tool to help me on a quilt. It was Tula Pink's Buttertfly 2 quilt that uses 46 different fabric. The color tool helped me to match up several fabrics that I just couldn't work out. It's not something that I'll use everyday, but it helped when I needed it.
Old 04-18-2022, 07:36 AM

Kaffe has an intuitive way with color and probably never uses a color wheel. Neither do I (not that I'm like him) but I'll bet it would speed things up a bit on the color auditioning. That part is pretty fun, though, especially the aha moment.

hugs,
charlotte

Old 04-18-2022, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by berrynice View Post
I could never figure out how to use one. I pretty much thought that if I used one, most of my quilts would end up being the same color schemes, because this color goes with that color that goes with that color. --- see, I really don't know how to use one!
That times 100!

For now, I’m still beginner enough to buy precut sets. They’re expensive, but someone else has done the work to ensure it all works.
Old 04-19-2022, 03:30 AM
Power Poster

I've been to several Kaffe Fassett quilt lectures. He does have a plan when he designs fabric lines.
Old 04-19-2022, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I've been to several Kaffe Fassett quilt lectures. He does have a plan when he designs fabric lines.
I'm sure he does.

hugs,
charlotte
Old 04-19-2022, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by LI_diva View Post
That times 100!

For now, I’m still beginner enough to buy precut sets. They’re expensive, but someone else has done the work to ensure it all works.
I use a lot of pre-cuts as well. Just started this year with them, even though I've been quilting for a long time. I had always shied away from them before as I would get a mixture of designs in them that I really didn't like, so I thought it was wasteful. But now, I've found that a lot of the sellers show you what is in the pre-cut package and that helps with what I buy. Since then, I got bit by the pre-cut bug! I still use yardage with them as well. I'm also finding with some pre-cuts, that I really like the fabric line and this way, I get a piece or two from the entire line with the pre-cuts. And that really helps with the 'color wheel' idea too, as all the fabric in the pre-cuts already go together!
Old 04-20-2022, 02:03 PM

I don't have one. If I like the colors together, I use them together.
Old 04-21-2022, 07:40 AM

I have one, and a few other color tools. I've found I rarely use them for picking fabric, but do use them for decorating.

The only time I find them really useful is if someone is picking out the colors and I need to match them up to the fabric, but I rarely make quilts for specific people so don't have to match their color scheme.

I've gotten a lot of good ideas for color combinations by looking at other quilts online, and if I find a color combo I like, I'll keep it in mind until I find a pattern that I think would work with it.