Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Colors in a Quilt, What colors you like and dislike and Why?

I lean heavy on the pinks, blues, greens, purples, and tans.... I need more yellow;every time I go shopping for yellow, I bring more green home....hmmmmm. as far as deciding what color to use in a quilt , the idea always starts with " I think I'll made a purple( green , blue, pink ) quilt'. then I throw in every scrap, and colora I have. I may have to start thinking about ' making a purple & green' quilt; maybe that'll define it a little more for my brain.

I do NOT like green. I don't use much orange (except in fall items).

I really never cared for pink but I am finding ALOT of pinks that I like now when it comes to quilting. I don't think I really look for certain colors i just look around and I seem to like it ALL now

I don't like real bright colors, otherwise I use about any color, I love cranberry,mauves,greens, I have used a lot of colors in my log cabins and such. I love flowers, usually medium to small. I have lots I want to use, if I live to be 200 yr.s old I may be surprised at the combination I come up with. If not, my Daughter will inheirit my fab.s and we don't like all the same colors. Oh well.

I bought a whole stack of five inch squares at the flea market in Hawaii on our fiftieth anniversary vacation. Did my second quilt with them. I didn't like maroon at all but when I got my squares together, the only color that fit for sashing was maroon. And I made two of them for our two double beds. You just never know.

I love bright colors, so I am turned off by mutted, dusty, muddy shades of any color.

My critical mind does the same thing and overthinks all my projects which results in UFOs. I love all colors, shades and prints.....so I try to stick with the colorwheel and a mix of the 3 not exceeding 5 colors.
    I watch the choices my quilting friends make of matching colors to their fabric and it always works but I don't have that kind of thinking, not eye, thinking. A true Aquarius.

I like bright true colors the best. While I like some of the designs of say Thimbleberries I don't like the muted muddy colors. The same goes for Civil war fabrics. If I make something from the more muted colors I have to add a small border of either black or something intense like true red. Brown is my least favorite color. I only use it when it is important for the design like a tree or wood etc. I love floral prints and stripes. The main reason I use solid colors of anything is because my handquilting shows up best on a plain surface. The mottled or tone on tone fabrics also work well for showcasing the quilting.

This is my first reply as I am new to this site. I enjoy many but especialy like batiks. Just picked out eight different ones for a friend's quilt. I also enjoy high contrasting colors, just depends on the pattern. I wish I was quilting right now!

I enjoy all colors...Okay, especially purple-not so much orange. However, I did a friendship braid top with lots of orange and green and yellow, and was delighted with the results. Funny thing, it started out as a scrap buster, and turned into a favorite!

Blog Entries
    I love earth and jewel tones with a bit of splash. No pastels, they drain my aura and weaken me. I am energized by the colors of the sunrise, sunset and earth.

I like blue and green together. Also orange and yellow together. But no one else does so I don't get to use them often enough.

I now look at colours in a different way since I started quilting, and also enjoy seeing how other people use them. I don't dismiss anything but seem to have more blues than anything else!

chris_quilts Your kitty is almost a twin to my Misty. Very beautiful.

Laura Li Welcome to the quilting forum.

I would have to say my favorite colors for quilts is red, black, white and gray. I was in a swap with some of the ladies from the forum and that was the colors I chose for my blocks.

I love all the colors of the rainbow except yellow. Yellow was my mother's color and she carried it to the extreme so I grew to dislike it.

I use mostly prints and few solids in my quilt projects.

Blog Entries
    I'm a scrap Quilt lover so I like lots of different prints of all colors. I would never make a bright quilt. I tend to love pastel colors. My favorite colors are blues and purples. as far a orange, I love the autumn rusts and pale oranges but bright orange turns me off.

Welcome Laura Li

I love limegreen shades and pruple, pink, all shades,blues light to med some shades of yellow,and some of reds,30's prints, I do not care for oranges, I do not like large prints, I like small prints, tone on tone, and I am a cool color quilter, it keeps me from haveing to many hot flashes, Ha,Ha.

I love polka dots and retro like fabric. The only color I never use is tan. Just have not found a place for it. I use jewel tones and I love black and white fabric as well as red and white. I have found that over time my taste have changed so my stash changes.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by scrappylouisa
    chris_quilts Your kitty is almost a twin to my Misty. Very beautiful.
    My kitty is Romeo and he's my quilt inspector and blanket anchor. He's a real love and so pretty.

Blog Entries
    I love EVERYTHING.... actually, looking at my stash, I must have something of every color know to woman...I just buy whatever I find, on sale, and then later, it always goes with something else. I like to pick the first piece, something with a print and good colors, and then just see what all matches up with it.I am doing one right now, for LINUS PROJECT, that has basketballs (orange, with black and white) and actually, its looking very cheerful. I used the balls, plus orange, plus black, plus white (the orange and black have tiny prints in them) and it works.I guess any color is a good one, if it matches what it is with in the pattern. I love PINK but that doesnt always go with other things, esp if its a boy quilt...... :)

I tend to make quilts in shades of a particular color. All, blues or all greens, etc. If I go mixing other colors in, they never look right. I like small prints, or tonals,
    marbles or things like that. I don't like the 30's fabrics, and I prefer white, white instead of cream.

Blog Entries
    I like all colors, but favorites are jewel tones. I don't go for pastels, really, as I like punches of color. I like trying unusual colors together....aubergine with bright citrus green, or brick red with teal. I also like prints...florals are great, but favorites are paisleys of all sizes and colors. I like to put small inner borders of unexpected colors with large print borders. I think they frame a quilt so well. So, all colors are for me, but they need to be strong, not pastel. Even my latest baby quilt was melon/peachy and green.

Blog Entries
    It's funny how your tastes change over the years. Red is, and always has been, my favorite color. That has never changed, but I used to not like purple or lavender much. Now I am planning a quilt for our bedroom and it is purple, lavender and sage fabrics. Hopefully, I will have time to make it this summer!

Viva la difference!! Isn't it great that everyone has such different taste? It would be a dull world if we all liked the same things.

If you ask me my favorite color I would say BLUE, without hesitation. But----I think that gold must really be my favorite color. My stash is full of gold and every room in my house is painted a shade of gold. I think it is a great neutral and a very warm color. I am drawn towards dark greens, blues, reds, etc. But I have some of almost everything in my stash. No fabric is off limits.

Quote Originally Posted by Marjpf
    I have yet to find a color that doesn't work somewhere for something, but I pretty much stay away for orange, just because it's not my taste. Don't use much purple either unless it's for my mother-in-law. I lean heavy on greens, tans, and blues.
    Not into orange or purple either. The few oranges that are in my stash tend to be more of a rust and are only used in Fall quilts. And my purples are more of a plum and are not used very often.

Quote Originally Posted by justwannaquilt
    I like any and all colors for the most part EXCEPT RED! LOL I don't know why I just don't like it.
    That is funny that you would say that because just yesterday we were just about the fact that every line of fabric we get into the shop-the reds disappear first. A lot of people must like red!!!

I like... rainbow! LOL! I love all colors! And I usually stick to fabrics that "read" as one color. I would say about 80% of my stash is that way. I have one shelf with mixed color fabrics, but I rarely use them.

I tend toward smaller scale prints, any polka dots, and do have some retro-looking large-scale florals.

I don't care all that much for Thimbleberries or Civil War repros, but I wouldn't go so far as to say I DISlike them.

dsj

Hey Karen, interesting question. I am not fond of purples or black,red, and white quilts. Although, someone completed a black,red, and white and posted a picture and I loved it. I love the black background in Amish quilts and the solid colors with the black. I never seem to purchase purples, but I will buy a few lavenders every once in a while to fill in. When I see others works in those colors they always fascinate me and I like them.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast