Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Computer quilting....how many have a computer assisted Long Arm >

Computer quilting....how many have a computer assisted Long Arm

Computer quilting....how many have a computer assisted Long Arm

Old 09-29-2012, 03:54 AM

I have both. I use the computer-guided for customers who just want an allover or on quilts where the quilting just won't show up. If the quilting will enhance the piecing, I much prefer the freedom on using the hand-guided machine.
Old 09-29-2012, 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by Tashana View Post
Wow! There is still hope for me. I am not giving up on quilting on my DSM but I am saving for my Bailey. Never mind the computer, the quilters you mentioned are amazing. Something to strive for and practice, practice, PRACTICE!
I went to the International Quilt Festival last year and got to talk with the winner of The Founders Award ($7,500 prize). Her name is Kathy Wylie, she is from Canada and does all of her AMAZING quilting on her DSM. She said she has no interest in purchasing a longarm because she loves quilting on her DSM. This is a link to a photo of her quilt: http://www.quilts.org/winners.html. A Google search may result in some closeups of her quilting.
Old 09-29-2012, 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
I'm glad I don't have a computer on my LA! I take a lot of pride in my hand guided FMQ. To me it is art. When it is computer guided in my mind it ceases to be "art". The human element is removed and it becomes cookie cutter quilting like all the other digitized designs that look exactly like every other computer generated quilting done with the same design. There is no longer any uniqueness or individuality. Even a hand guided panto looks different because no one can perfectly stay on that line every time. But a computer can. That is JMHO. I know many feel differently and want the perfection and symmetry that can only be acheived by a computer guided set up.

Me, I would spend the 10 to 20K on other things and stick with guiding my machine myself. Every quilt makes me better at what I love to do. Why would I trade that for anything?

I could not agree more....what I have said for YEARS!