Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Copying Parts or All of Catalog Quilts >

Copying Parts or All of Catalog Quilts

Copying Parts or All of Catalog Quilts

Old 08-02-2009, 09:36 PM

I have a bazillion quilt magazines (several years' worth of subscriptions and free issues) but there are not many quilt patterns that I like in that whole huge collection of mags. Most of the quilts that really catch my eye are shown in tiny little catalog pictures ... advertising for sale either a kit or a fabric line or both. I cut those pictures out before I toss the catalog away. When I'm looking for inspiration, I look through those pictures and "borrow" ideas. Anybody know if this is not quite legal (copywrite speaking) and if I should have my wrists slapped?
Old 08-02-2009, 09:40 PM

I copy the patterns I want and put them in my binder. Then, I'll send the book/magazine on to someone else.
I've done it for recipes too. I used to cut the recipes out, then paste them in my book. Took too much time and sometimes, I would cut into one on the back of the page that I wanted.

I think if you were making the pattern as your own, then yes, you are infriging on the copywrite, but all you are doing is saving. What's the difference in saving just a small part and not the entire book/magazine? Space saver!! But, what you are doing in my opinion is nothing wrong.
Old 08-02-2009, 09:46 PM

I too like to tear out photos of quilts that I liked. Sometimes it's the design, sometimes it's the border, or the color combination, etc. I have even drawn up a few patterns and used it. Can't see any difference than making a quilt from one you see at a fair, show, etc. I agree that it would be wrong to say you designed it yourself. There are lots of times on this board that we see someone elses quilt and "copy" the idea. I think it's fair game.
Old 08-02-2009, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by tlrnhi
I copy the patterns I want and put them in my binder. Then, I'll send the book/magazine on to someone else.
I've done it for recipes too. I used to cut the recipes out, then paste them in my book. Took too much time and sometimes, I would cut into one on the back of the page that I wanted.

I think if you were making the pattern as your own, then yes, you are infriging on the copywrite, but all you are doing is saving. What's the difference in saving just a small part and not the entire book/magazine? Space saver!! But, what you are doing in my opinion is nothing wrong.
Thanks. I know there's nothing wrong with cutting out and keeping stuff (photos, recipes and general good info.) but I'm talking about incorporating the ideas/pattern into my own quilt(s). I do not sell quilts nor do I take credit for designs that are not my own, so I think I'm safe and do not need a "Get out of jail" card.
Old 08-02-2009, 10:12 PM

Nope, I don't see anything wrong with taking parts of a quilt and incorporating it into another quilt. That's how beauties are born!
Old 08-02-2009, 10:25 PM

Hmmm...I wonder if what I did was okay--I saw a really cute baby quilt in a picture in a magazine, I don't remember what the ad was for (I do know it wasn't for the quilt pattern...) and I made a quilt for my new baby grandson based on that picture, just figuring the measurements out myself. I figured it must be okay, because I didn't sell the quilt or try to pass it off as my own design. I let my daughter know how I got the pattern. So, what's the verdict? :?:
Old 08-03-2009, 02:36 AM
Administrator

the verdict is a definite "maybe". :lol:

there are so many factors to consider it makes ya dizzy. :shock:

if we copy or adapt truly original designs without paying for the patterns, we are clearly on the wrong side of copyright law.

when we copy or adapt something that is obviously composed or derived from blocks in the public domain it gets more "iffy" and confusing. :?
Old 08-03-2009, 06:09 AM

I own the magazine or catalog. I can cut it up if I want to.

Until last year, I had a whole 4' shelf of old quilt catalogs and magazines, each containing at least one picture that I wanted to keep for inspiration. Some of them were from the 1970's. I seldom use other people's instructions - I prefer to re-draft things for myself. It's probably a sick control issue. :wink: So all I really wanted was the picture.

I spent one entire day cutting out the pictures I wanted to keep and glued them (sorted by category - tablerunner, baby quilt, sampler quilt, bed quilt, crafty items) to sturdy copy paper and then put those in a three-ring binder. It worked really well for me, and no copying!
Old 08-03-2009, 09:21 AM

The things you can't do are:

1. Make copies of the magazine pages for someone else.
2. Sell the pages/patterns as your own.

Otherwise, you are fine.