Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Cost of having someone quilt your quilt

Blog Entries
    This quilt shop I was at today, had a quilting machine and there was a quilt on it. I asked her how much she charges to quilt for people and she said that for a queen size it is 40 dollars and then it is $14 per square YARD after that. Is that cheap? She said she only does meander and a couple really simple ones.

I think that's high. 40 bucks plus 0.388 cents per square inch.... I think most everybody else charges between 0.01 and 0.020 per square inch.

How about you gals that are doing this, am I correct?

MTS
    Banned
    Yes, very cheap. So if you have some tops you just want DONE, with no fanfare (or bling ;) ), that's not a bad way to go.

Sheesh, at that price, I'd even send out some of the charity quilts.

How big was her meander?

MTS
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteQuilts
    I think that's high. 40 bucks plus 0.388 cents per square inch.... I think most everybody else charges between 0.01 and 0.020 per square inch.

That's not how I'm reading what the op wrote:

A queen size quilt is 80x100 - that's 8000 square inches.
    $40/ 8000 = $.005/sqin, which comes out to around $6.48/sq yard.
    Anything over that would be $14/sqyd.

Perhaps Deanna can clarify exactly how it was being calculated.

Check out this lady on the board here, she does a fabulous job, check out her pictures too, I think for custom, she charges $1.99 a square foot.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-75416-1.htm

that is way cheap.I would not think of doing a queen sized quilt for that price.even a medium stipple on a queen takes hrs plus loading and unloading.

40 for a queen....go for it if the stitches dont look like they are falling out.

thats crazy cheap

That's amazingly cheap. Around me you can't get basting done for that.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MTS
    Yes, very cheap. So if you have some tops you just want DONE, with no fanfare (or bling ;) ), that's not a bad way to go.

Sheesh, at that price, I'd even send out some of the charity quilts.

How big was her meander?
    I really couldnt tell you how big I personally thought it was like maybe medium in size.
    There was one on the machine that she was working on and she let me look at the stitching and I didn't see any puckering or any of the batting coming through. Hopefully we will be able to stop in there again when my husband has his next VA appointment and I will try to get a close up picture and I WILL MAKE sure my camera is empty lol.

Blog Entries

Automatically it will cost $40 for a queen size. If its bigger then the queen size, she charges $14.00 per SQUARE YARD OVER the queen size measurements.

I at first had thought she had meant $14.00 a square foot and I asked her and she said NO SQUARE YARD. I thought it was cheap myself.

No, I believe you miscalculated converting a sq/yard price to a square inch price... OP said $14 per square YARD on anything over queen size. There are 1,296 square inches in a sq yard. So $14 / 1296 = .01 per sq inch. My understanding of the OP is that a queen which standard measure on queen is approximately 93" x 120" is $40. I am taking this measure from standard size of queen batting. Her interpretation of a queen may be different because the top rarely measures as large as the batting exactly.

I understood the OP that anything OVER this size is an additional .01 per sq/inch or $14 per s/yard. Maybe she rounds up to the nearest whole sq/yard but that price is still ridiculously cheap even for a simple end to end meander or panto. It is unheard of for a custom job unless you are getting a "beginners" discount. Kind of like going to a cosmetology school for a discounted haircut. I consider myself a beginner so I am currently charging very little for quilting I do for others. As I gain more confidence, skill and experience I will charge accordingly based on the degree of quilting the client would want such as all over, panto or custom.

This is crazy cheap, she won't be in business long at that price. It doesn't even cover overhead and depreciation, much less thread, labor and taxes.

If you aren't expecting much, you won't be disappointed.

She said per square YARD.........not inches.

I had a king size done with her supplying the batting and it was $170.

The LQS here charges $90 for a Queen size up to 95 x 105 for just a meander nothing more than that. She doesn't do custom quilting at all. You get to choose from 4 all over meandering patterns that she has and that it what you get.

The ones, we have 4, that do custom quilting all charge between 2.5 cents per square inch and 3.5 cents per square inch, and they all have a 2-4 month waiting list! Recently I have been asked to start doing some custom work for people because they like my work. Now to figure out a price! thats the hardest part.

SO $40 is not to bad depending on what she is really offering to do for that cost.

That is CHEAP! About $100 for a queen around here!

That is way cheap. I would start making tops left and right for people because i know i can finish them...lol...the cost of quilting is what slows me down and that's why i want to buy a computerized long arm (on my to do list).
    Quote Originally Posted by Airwick156

Automatically it will cost $40 for a queen size. If its bigger then the queen size, she charges $14.00 per SQUARE YARD OVER the queen size measurements.

I at first had thought she had meant $14.00 a square foot and I asked her and she said NO SQUARE YARD. I thought it was cheap myself.

My understanding of OP is the woman is charging $40.00 PLUS $.01 per square inch. I've seen quilters charge $.01 with a MINIMUM of $40.00. HOWEVER, if she meant the quilter charges $40.00 PLUS $.01 then that is expensive.

On edit --- after reading others posts, maybe I'm not charging enough!!!!!!! However, that price is good for around here.

Blog Entries
    I have a lady in Arkansas who does quilts for many of us and she charges 65.00 for a queen. She does a beautiful job that includes batting. This woman is even less expensive. I'd say, give her a try on a smaller quilt.

Blog Entries
    This lady does it for fun.

thats very very reasonable, not sure how she can afford to do it for that...........I get .0125 per sq inch and it covers my expenses with just a bit left

Here is the price list I pay:
    Baby - $15.00
    Twin - $25.00
    Queen - $35.00
    King - $45.00
    I have paid this price for at least 10 years and the quilting job is great!, Plus, for a few extra dollars she binds them too!

Quote Originally Posted by feline fanatic

No, I believe you miscalculated converting a sq/yard price to a square inch price... OP said $14 per square YARD on anything over queen size. There are 1,296 square inches in a sq yard. So $14 / 1296 = .01 per sq inch. My understanding of the OP is that a queen which standard measure on queen is approximately 93" x 120" is $40. I am taking this measure from standard size of queen batting. Her interpretation of a queen may be different because the top rarely measures as large as the batting exactly.

I understood the OP that anything OVER this size is an additional .01 per sq/inch or $14 per s/yard. Maybe she rounds up to the nearest whole sq/yard but that price is still ridiculously cheap even for a simple end to end meander or panto. It is unheard of for a custom job unless you are getting a "beginners" discount. Kind of like going to a cosmetology school for a discounted haircut. I consider myself a beginner so I am currently charging very little for quilting I do for others. As I gain more confidence, skill and experience I will charge accordingly based on the degree of quilting the client would want such as all over, panto or custom.

Thanks! I thought I wasn't doing the math right!