Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Could the fabric cause this?

Blog Entries

Could the fabric cause this?

When I was quilting this my machine would occaisionally throw a "knot" on the back of the quilt. Then when I was sewing the binding I experienced the same thing. I used two different machines. My Janome 6500 does the quilting on a frame and my Baby Lock was used for sewing the binding. Now I'm wondering if the fabric is the cause of this. The fabric is kind of stiff and definitely top quality.
    Any thoughts?
    Name:  103_5227.JPG
Views: 2812
Size:  276.6 KBName:  103_5228.JPG
Views: 2806
Size:  283.1 KB
    Sunnie
    a dog show & quilt addict
    www.buckhollow.net

Blog Entries
    Tried to edit to say the fabric is NOT top quality.
    Sunnie
    www.buckhollow.net

It could be bumps in the fabric that is putting off the stitching but mostly nests like that are a needle/tension/thread/threading issue.

Blog Entries
    mgmsrk - I agree, but it happened on two different machines. That is puzzling me.
    Sunnie
    www.buckhollow.net

Could be the thread. What are you using? Are you using the same in the bobbin?

Blog Entries
    Some thoughts would be clean the bobbin area and make a practice sandwich with the same fabrics and batting, and practice fiddling with tension and etc.. see if that helps...

Blog Entries
    I get this with my Pfaff when there is a build-up of lint in the bobbin case.
    Joyce

Four things you can't recover: The stone.....after the throw. The word......after its said. The occasion.....after its missed. The time......after its gone

NE California - no where near the Bay Area!
    When this happens to me, I take my machine apart and clean it. Like Joyce said, it is usually lint build up in the bobbin compartment.

Same here....it's amazing how much lint and stuff builds up. I have a stiff little paintbrush and a sate stick handy to keep everything ticking along.

Blog Entries
    could be time for a new needle- along with that recommended cleaning...imperfect stitches are often caused by a dull/old needle- and lint build up in the bobbin area.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

I was thinking new needle and cleaning, also. But so strange that it would suddenly happen with two machines.

Gay
    Blog Entries
    I agree with cleaning the bobbin case, you'd be surprised how much lint can be found inside a machine. Also make sure your bobbin thread is feeding through the tension properly. I have known several ladies who have had this problem, and their bobbin wasn't threaded correctly [too loose]

I agree, but it happened on two different machines. That is puzzling me.

I know, it does seem odd but it could be a fluke that both machines are having the same problem at the same time. Maybe one Machine is having sympathy thread puke.
    Did you use the same bobbin in both?
    I spent an hour on test strips on my 6600 yesterday, it was skipping stitches on ZZ. I went through many needles(different sizes and types) and threads, along with rewinding bobbins and re threading 10,001 times. I could not get it correct and then it started to miss stitches on SS so I was done. It was for a pair of quick elbow length mittens for my 3yo so I just went ahead and did them. NOT ONE MISSED STITCH!! After I tried on the test fabric, the SAME poly fleece as the mittens, mess and missed stitches everywhere. How can that be explained?

A friend gave me a tip that I hadn't thought of before. Using canned air (like for a computer or keyboard) to clean out the bobbin area. I am fairly particular about the bobbin and keep it brushed out, but was having trouble with lint build-up. A puff or two of that canned air just made so much difference and far better than a brush has ever done. Now I keep it by my machine and hit it with a puff or two about every time I change the bobbin. Isn't it aggravating when the thread does that? Makes me stutter and stammer.....

I have read several places that canned air is bad for your sewing machine. It pushes the lint further into the machine and also contains moisture which is not good for your machine. You might ask your sewing machine tech about this.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by joyce888 View Post
    I get this with my Pfaff when there is a build-up of lint in the bobbin case.
    Ditto.. Same goes for me.

I am wondering if this isn't an example of thread backlash. I just bought the Magic Genie Bobbin washers because sometimes I run into that w/frame quilting. Have had significantly less problems w/that since I adjusted my tension per this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1mRhcquZTM

Blog Entries
    The backing looks to me similar to one I tried. The build up of fluff bunnies in the bobbin area was terrible and I ended up cleaning the area out every time I changed the bobbin . It was much better.
    Finished is better than a UFO

I was reading different things and some advice cleaning the bobbin area after each project, others were saying after X hours sewing, or even every time they replace the bobbin. I know I am always surprised at how much has built up in the bobbin case when I am sewing.

Mgmsrk....."sympathy thread puke"??? I was reading the link thinking how much I learn from this site as I read your post of sympathy thread puke and burst into laughter....too funny but what do I know, that may be a quilting phrase pasted down for centuries!

My Janome dealer told me to never use canned air on a machine that has a computer in it. You'll only blow
    dust and moisture into the computer area. Not good for computers. I use a small brush to clean out the
    dust in the bobbin area.

When I have a problem like this, I usually change my needle and the problem is solved. If changing the needle doesn't solve it I clean out the bobbin case.

I have that happen when I need a new needle.
    Maire

Blog Entries
    The only thing I use to clean my machine is a long pipe cleaner. It picks up the tiniest amount of lint. I've been complimented by my mechanic several time for how clean my machines are. Last time he was here he said my machines were the cleanest he's ever seen. Hence I only need to have them serviced every two years. I do clean them regularly but not at every bobbin change. He also said to give canned air a big miss.
    This guy was head mechanic for Janome for 15 years here in Brisbane.

The teflon washers in the bobbin case sometimes helps. When I worked in a sewing factory, we always wound the thread twice around the guide when we were winding the bobbins to use. After the bobbins are wound, test the tread with your fingernail. If your nail sinks in easily or the wound thread seems a little spongy, it is wound too loosely. (spelling) The tread needs to feel a little firm. This can cause backlashing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast