Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Craft Fair Etiquette >

Craft Fair Etiquette

Craft Fair Etiquette

Old 11-04-2008, 09:35 AM

I thought it might be fun to start a topic about Craft Fairs and what people do to try and sell their items. We are all doing some around now and it might help those that are going out for the first time. Any suggestions.... do you talk to people?, do you leave them alone? do you find that working on a project works? You get the idea.....
Old 11-04-2008, 10:37 AM
Banned

Also, what kind of stuff for craft fairs? what's the best "Eye Candy"?
What is simple but awesome?
I am considering talking to the FOL where I live and seeing if we can work something out.... Book covers anyone? :lol:
Old 11-04-2008, 11:55 AM

I have done many shows. Some with quilts and others with smaller items like embroider/monogramed items, totes, pot holders, crocheted dish cloths, rag rugs. you name it.
I like to keep standing and smiling and answering questions.
I cannot say I have ever really made a killing at any of them. Maybe sold a couple of totes, and long time ago couple of quilts
I really think it depends on LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION.
Often suprised at how everyone comments on your items but do not buy.
The only crafts shows I work at now are for the Church Bazaars. And this last one. lol :( No one bought anything over $10.00 Even if had a tote for $12...... So I have resolved to make smaller items and fewer of each.
I would love to hear the success stories. Maybe I will learn from them :wink:
Old 11-04-2008, 12:40 PM

I buy a lot from craft sales. I advoid the, and excuse the expression, "old lady things" which are usually anything crocheted in a weird color combination, or painted "cutesy" ceramics. Just not my cup of tea, but these items are usually not well made. Make sure you have something for everone, I.e. Everything isn't pink for example. I have noticed that if your items, especially the sewen items, are well made in colors that are popular at the moment, right now primitives seem to be very popular, people will snatch them up no matter the price. Baby items also sell like hot cakes. This is just my humble opinion, of course. I go to lots of craft sales!
Old 11-04-2008, 05:07 PM

What sold big at mine was the soft books and the mice. A couple pillowcases went...NO TOTES, which I thought would fly off the table and I only sold one set of towels.
I really think it has to do with where you are. People seem to be fickle and also too...yes, the prices have to be right.
Old 11-04-2008, 06:24 PM

I think pricing is a key factor too. BUT, sometimes I think vendors underprice their items and it drives people away. If something is too inexpensive then people think it is cheap--as in cheaply made and not worth even the money they are asking for it. My daughter was selling totes and purses and when she raised her prices she sold MORE, not less!! Go figure!! But it all depends on your clientele.
Old 11-04-2008, 07:02 PM

When I do craft fairs I usually have a hands on for the kids at my booth, like painting their own spinning whizzer top (thin plywood disk that I drilled four holes and put a strong string through the holes and taught the kids how to make it spin. While the kids paint the disks the parents purchase they look at the other things in my booth. I usually try to have a project that doesn't cost more than $2.00 for the kids, have smocks to cover their clothes if they are painting (My old shirts I put on them so I button them up their backs) One year I had the kids paint walnut shells. I pryied the walnuts open and removed the meats, then put the shells into a clorox solution, rinsed them and dried them and then glued the shells back together and sanded the flat end so they sat up right. I had cut out paper feet from felt and cardboard and the kids painted the nuts to look like characters and then we glued the feet on them when the paint was dry. Also made nuts to be Christmas tree decorations with a loop of ribbom glued in halves. I had glitter and sequins and paint and glue for the kids. They loved it. The years I had the walnut crafts I also sold walnut meats and candied walnuts along with my other crafts. We had a walnut orchard at the time. I try to figure out a different craft each show. The kid's crafts section of my booth usually pays for the booth rent and what I sell at the other section is my profit.
Old 11-04-2008, 08:07 PM

Great ideas for the kids :D They could put Izzy's mice together too. :roll:
Old 11-05-2008, 04:04 AM

I like stands where I am greeted with a smile and/or ‘Hello’, but then left alone to look at the things. In any good shop I like it when the staff leave me alone to browse, but also recognise when my body language indicates that I am curious, have a question, or am looking for something I can’t find. Then they can jump in and ask if I need help.
Old 11-05-2008, 05:09 AM

Location: My favorite place in the world is Lake Erie Region USA

OH this is a fun topic ! Maybe you can gather enough info for a book! Serious about this ! Sold in craft stores all around. !

I did the craft sale at a local woman's club in south east Ohio. It is a money maker for the woman's club twice a year and held in there gym.

Oh yes I talked to my neighbor. I talk in the mirror at home ! I talk a lot. Can not help that. I try to hold it down. And can proudly say that is when I find the best stories to write. So, yes talk to your neighbor, if they do not want to talk then your get the message.

I liked the idea: do not bring a book. I read that earlier in another Craft Fair tip thread on this board. Reading a book does turn off sales for people do like to talk to the sellers and that stops them cold. Be open to any thing. Listen around you and be pleasant.

Craft Fair Etiquette answer... Be pleasant and open to talking. You never know what you will learn or enjoy hearing!

Ellen