Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Craftsy Classes, Part II

Craftsy Classes, Part II

Thanks for all the responses on Craftsy Classes. I signed up for the two mentioned on feathers. Now one more question. I didn't realize these classes were downloads. Do you just keep them on your computer or put them on CD's and label them.

Thanks again.

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    I belong to many Craftsy classes and just watch them when I want to. I just go to the Craftsy website when I want to watch one of them. They are yours for life once you buy them. That's the nice thing about buying them. You don't have to put them on DVD. They'll always be there for you. Don't waste your money on DVDs. I've been on Craftsy two years and still have all my classes!
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I'm with Jcrow. No downloading required. No CD's needed. Just go to Craftsy and watch the class whenever the mood strikes. They never go away.

What you download is class materials - the classes themselves are on-line only (I think)

Blog Entries
    I have never seen a class there that was downloadable. That would spoil the whole convenience of the classes being online.
    Got fabric?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
    I have never seen a class there that was downloadable. That would spoil the whole convenience of the classes being online.
    I agree. Look again. is it the class that's a download or the class notes & other materials?
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

I watch my classes on my desktop computer and my IPad. I love the 30 second rewind (YouTube doesn't have theis), also the bookmark function.

Some of the classes have quite a few pages to print. So I am keeping them in a 3 ring binder. Make sure you sign up for the 2012 and 2013 BOM classes. They are free and even if you don't make the blocks, you will learn a ton of good stuff.

I have both of the BOM classes with a few other free ones and my purchased ones Now I'm not a sampler quilt type person, love to look at others' work, but making one doesn't appeal to me. However, there are so many other ways to benefit. Using just a couple of the blocks in a quilt or my favorite way is learning the techniques that appeal to me for pillows. I love to switch out pillow covers- I always make mine with the ability to take off and wash. I like to have holiday covers, seasonal and color variety. I keep my walls and furniture neutral so I can completely change the look of a room by changing pillows, throws, accent pieces and artwork. It's very affordable redecorating . Love my Craftsy classes! One of my smartest quilting purchases I think.

Quote Originally Posted by nancysp View Post
    I watch my classes on my desktop computer and my IPad. I love the 30 second rewind (YouTube doesn't have theis), also the bookmark function.

Some of the classes have quite a few pages to print. So I am keeping them in a 3 ring binder. Make sure you sign up for the 2012 and 2013 BOM classes. They are free and even if you don't make the blocks, you will learn a ton of good stuff.
    I watched the June free BOM. It's a very informative tutorial on the Lemoine Star. She gives great cutting advice along with marking and stitching hints.
    One step at a time, always forward.

My question (and the reason I haven't bought any classes) is can the class be put on a DVD? My computer and sewing room are a long way apart. I can't see myself running up and down the hall.

ArlaJo what type of computer do you have...is it a lap top or desk top? If it's a lap top can you carry it into your sewing room? Do you by any chance have a smart phone such as an iPhone or android? If you do, Craftsy has apps for those phones.

I tried that, it wouldn't work.

maybe get a small tablet or kindle for that
    Brother (XL-3500i, CV3550, SQ-9050, Dreamweaver XE6200D), Juki MO-2000QVP, Handiquilter Avante

Thanks, everyone.

I have a desktop computer. I do have an I phone and a Kindle but not the Kindle Fire.
    Darn I may have to invest in a laptop. I have been thinking about one anyway. Thanks
    for the help.

I think the question of downloading a class to a DVD has been asked on the Craftsy website and the response was that wasn't a possibility.

I actually do download them onto my computer. I find it's easier to located the instructions this way rather than to log onto the site.

How do you download them to the computer? Each lesson per class takes a lot of time. Do you have an extral large memory on your computer to be able to do this? I have quite a few of the Craftsy classes and have wondered what would happen to the classes if, for some reason, Craftsy should go out of business. Thanks in advance for any info.

Do you download the instructions only or the entire class? I download the materials/instructions and print hard copies as well as keep them on my computer but have no idea how to download the actually classes.

Quote Originally Posted by tlpa View Post
    I actually do download them onto my computer. I find it's easier to located the instructions this way rather than to log onto the site.

I've the classes--google chrome has a program to do that. I did this when I was having an issue with watching the classes. Google chrome did make watching them a lot easier. It did take a while to get them downloaded.