Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Crazy quilt >

Crazy quilt

Crazy quilt

Old 06-10-2021, 09:43 PM

Default Crazy quilt

What is crazy quilt? A quilt with or without embellishments?
Old 06-11-2021, 07:04 PM

I've made several, but am hesitant to tell you how I did it lest a bunch of people say I did it wrong! Google crazy quilt instructions and you will get a lot of help from professionals. Peace and grace!
Old 06-11-2021, 08:44 PM

Just go on YouTube and type in Crazy Quilt in the search bar, and a number of videos will come up showing you. Its always better to see it in a video anyway. As an example, here is just one. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByFaqCMBBcM

By the way, I wondered the same thing when I just started.
Old 06-12-2021, 03:34 AM

I don't think you need embellishments for crazy quilts, but they are fun!

A bunch of years ago I made a quilt from ugly ties... I bought bags of ties from the goodwill and other places and gutted them and washed them and turned them into fabric. I was especially looking for big wide polyester 1970s ties and I certainly found quite a bit of them! When I had all the ties washed and ready I put them in a black plastic garbage bag and pulled out 10?? at a time by feel and put those in brown paper bags. When I was ready to sew, I had a foundation piece and had to use whatever ties I had.

LOL, it was a particular/peculiar project but my son loved it and it was on his bed for years. Sadly, the original pictures were on actual film, but the tattered remnants remain here, the well named Ugly Tie quilt.
Attached Thumbnails ugly-tie.jpg  

Last edited by Iceblossom; 06-12-2021 at 03:36 AM. Reason: oops! forgot the upload (again)
Old 06-12-2021, 06:46 AM
Power Poster

Smile

Originally Posted by Iceblossom View Post
I don't think you need embellishments for crazy quilts, but they are fun!

A bunch of years ago I made a quilt from ugly ties... I bought bags of ties from the goodwill and other places and gutted them and washed them and turned them into fabric. I was especially looking for big wide polyester 1970s ties and I certainly found quite a bit of them! When I had all the ties washed and ready I put them in a black plastic garbage bag and pulled out 10?? at a time by feel and put those in brown paper bags. When I was ready to sew, I had a foundation piece and had to use whatever ties I had.

LOL, it was a particular/peculiar project but my son loved it and it was on his bed for years. Sadly, the original pictures were on actual film, but the tattered remnants remain here, the well named Ugly Tie quilt.
nothing ( Ugly) about your Tie Quilt! It is Wonderful. It inspires me to get that old bag of tie back out and be adventurous.
pits no wonder your son loved it.
Old 06-12-2021, 03:16 PM

Well, when you say crazy quilt, traditionally the seams all the different embroidery stitches. The fabric pieces tended to be scraps and are odd shaped. The seam treatments were sometimes many different type of stitches and lots of different colors. I love all of that plus I add silk ribbons, pieces of lace, buttons, little bits of anything odd that looks right to you. One of my favorite sites is www.pintangle.com. She has patterns you can copy and a stitch dictionary. Check it out.
Old 06-12-2021, 03:45 PM

My crazy quilt, the only one I made, is on a foundations block and has many different fabrics from small scraps to larger pieces. It also has many different embroidery stitches and many different embellishments. I put on laces, rick rack buttons and then tied it together with a light batting and backing. It came out just the way I envisioned it should look. I see it every day as it hangs in my living room.