Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Critical of own  work? >

Critical of own work?

Critical of own work?

Old 07-26-2010, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by KathyAire
I'm not so much critical of my own work, it's just that I know my limitations. I know what I can do and what I can't. I know there are many quilts that are much better than mine and some that are worse. I'm okay with that because quilting is strictly for my own pleasure and enjoyment. If it becomes a chore than I will move on to something else.

Amen Sister!!! I have several old quilts my granny made, and believe me, they aren't perfect, but oh, so treasured. If I make a minor mistake, points not lining up, etc. I don't worry about it. I hate ripping anything out so, if it's not a total disaster, I let it go. Life's too short! :thumbup:
Old 07-26-2010, 09:04 AM

I learned from performing in public that if you make a mistake, just keep on going. Many times, the only one who heard the mistake was me, because I knew what the song was supposed to sound like. When I was complimented on my performance, I said "Thank you.", not "But didn't you hear the flat note?"

With quilting, it is the same. I don't point out my mistakes. I say "Thank you" to every compliment I'm given. And if someone point out a mistake, I just tell them it's my humility block -- as the Amish say, only God creates perfection.
Old 07-26-2010, 09:50 AM

As a young architect, I learned over time that self-criticism sometimes tends to bring out the best in what we do. And, it also tends to bring out the worst in what we do. Finding that balance between the two brings out an imperfect product that tends to reveal the very heart of who we are and what we are capable of. Thanks for the post, and I will be sure to do that, especially being a very young quilter. Best wishes, always.
Old 07-26-2010, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by kwiltkrazy

I have one friend that always finds a flaw in my work, I know she is trying to help, but I wish she would look as close at her own work.
This person is no friend.

I gave the first applique quilt I made to my best friend. It was absolutely awful. Full of mistakes and just plain poor technique. I was learning, after all. She loves it and hung it in the hallway across from her bedroom so that she sees it first when she comes out of her bedroom in the morning. I told her once that someday I'd make her a better quilt. She said she wouldn't take it because she loves the one she has.

Now that is a good friend.
Old 07-26-2010, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by pittsburgpam
Just accept that the compliments are sincere and don't second guess them. Easier said than done, I know.
If you think about it, it's sort of insulting to answer someone's compliment about your quilt by showing them the flaws. It's like telling them they have poor taste or that they don't know what they're talking about.
Old 07-26-2010, 10:08 AM

[quote=catrancherIf you think about it, it's sort of insulting to answer someone's compliment about your quilt by showing them the flaws. It's like telling them they have poor taste or that they don't know what they're talking about.[/quote]

Very insightful.
Old 07-26-2010, 10:17 AM

You guys are so good for one's ego.
Old 07-26-2010, 12:01 PM

No matter how you look at it we can do ourselves more harm than good. We'll all get together to form the Quilter's Oath and all swear by it.

No on the other side of the coin, I teach classes and quilt for Atlantic Fabrics, so I sometimes need to point out flaws. I remember on one occasion finding two variable stars in a quilt that had one side reversed during a quilt check in. The customer said well "no one's perfect so leave them" I so wanted to flip them around, but my hands were tied. nuff said. Another time in class I carefully pointed out that have of the student's background pieces were underside down. Her reply was 'well I don't like the person I'm giving the quilt to anyways" I know these are the exceptions, but it is funny how everyone looks at things. I usually get the "oh my gosh i didn't see that and I have been working on this quilt forever"
Old 07-26-2010, 03:00 PM

I am repairing a quilt for a friend that her grandmother made , it was the last quilt she made. I find quite a few mistakes in it. Seams crooked tucks sewn it etc. My friend sees none of that. All she sees is the love her grandmother put into piecing it and her mother put into tying it.The only thing I am "fixing" is the binding which is the back folded to the front and only because the sewing machine her mother used wasn't stitching properly and it was coming apart. I am hand sewing where the seams are coming apart.
Old 07-26-2010, 03:22 PM

I have finally learned to say to myself "IT IS WHAT IT IS''........my mistakes are my "signatures"!!!!