Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Custom Quilt Question: Please Advise >

Custom Quilt Question: Please Advise

Custom Quilt Question: Please Advise

Old 09-09-2014, 07:49 AM

Default Custom Quilt Question: Please Advise

A friend of mine would like me to make 2 crib quilts for her to give to a friend. She will provide the fabric and I'll make the quilts. What should I charge? The quilts will be simple, but there's still the labor, batting, backing, and thread. I've never done a commission before so any advice wild be appreciated.
Old 09-09-2014, 08:42 AM

There are several previous threads on this issue, so you might look back and find some helpful information. I would suggest you charge her by the hour at a rate that you are comfortable with, and then add on the actual cost of the additional materials you purchase, you can give her the receipt as backup. Maybe give her a range based on the time you expect, but not locking yourself in to a flat rate just incase you encounter problems for some reason. I would think $10-$15 per hour minimum, unless you just want to donate some of your time for a good friend. The last baby quilts I made took about 5-6 hours start to finish with simple straight line and wavy line quilting, including the binding. I wouldn't touch it for less than $50 per quilt plus cost of materials.
Old 09-09-2014, 08:58 AM
Power Poster

I agree with Jeanne. $50 minimum for labor plus the FULL retail cost of all materials. (for instance, if you get the batting on sale, you still charge the full retail price). You also might want to charge a bit extra for your time shopping for the backing, batting etc. unless you are using your stash.
And please, please, please put everything in writing. Doesn't have to be a big formal thing, just both your names, quilt size, estimated price, make 2 copies and both of you sign each one.

Last edited by PaperPrincess; 09-09-2014 at 09:01 AM.
Old 09-09-2014, 09:03 AM
Power Poster

Please discuss tentative costs with your friend BEFORE starting.

She may be expecting a "less than discount store" price for the finished quilts.
Old 09-09-2014, 09:03 AM

I just can't make quilts for other people that they want me to make for them.... for money. It just makes me feel uneasy. I figure they think I've charged too much but they don't have a clue about the time and $$$ you spend putting one together. I did a baby quilt once after a friend saw one I made. I told him I'd make one just like it for $100 hoping he'd say he'd find something in a store. But, he had to have me make the quilt. He said he loved it, paid me the money but I still felt uneasy. Now, I just tell people I'll help them make the quilt. They usually don't want to do that.
Old 09-09-2014, 09:07 AM
Power Poster

Some people determine an hourly sewing rate ( what is your time worth to you? (I charge $20 an hour for basic sewing) some people charge by the project, baby quilts often go for between $30-$45, right on up depending on complexity. Some people charge friends & family one thing and strangers a lot more. You will need to discuss it with your friend and determine what seems fair to both of you
Old 09-09-2014, 10:31 AM
Power Poster

I don't think it is fair to friends and customers to charge full retail price and to pocket the difference because it was bought on sale. I think $50 is a fair price.
Old 09-09-2014, 10:39 AM

I would either let her purchase the fabric and other supplies or at least take her with me to purchase them so that she would know the true price. As a hand quilter I charge 6 cents a square inch for me to hand quilt the item. If I were to machine quilt it I would probably start at 2 cents a square inch. I would also charge her at least minimum wage to do the basic construction of the top. Unless you have access to wholesale prices you are bound to be more expensive than a commercially made, probably in China, quilt. As quilters we need to stand up for the value of our work.
Old 09-09-2014, 10:40 AM

Thank you so much for all of your help ladies! I appreciate the input. I'm hoping to do more work on commission in the future so I'm hoping this project can give me a little insight into what the future might bring.
Old 09-09-2014, 11:11 AM

I would definitely have the friend purchase everything before you start. Backing, batting, thread, everything. Then figure an hourly rate, and make sure she knows that includes ALL the time you spend on it.