Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
CutterPillar Glow Light Board >

CutterPillar Glow Light Board

CutterPillar Glow Light Board

Old 02-17-2019, 11:28 AM

I hadn't thought about retreats. It would help while cutting. Do you/can you set it up for vertical lighting (e.g. on an easel) behind your machine?

Originally Posted by teddy300 View Post
I have one and really like it. I take it to retreats which usually don't have great lighting and enjoy it. Everyone who has used it at the retreats likes it also.
Old 02-18-2019, 05:37 AM

In the video I saw it said something about plugging it into a USB port. Is that necessary to use it or does it plug into a regular outlet?
Old 02-18-2019, 07:56 AM

Ka9sdn, I didn't check the video but if it is required you can buy inexpensive adapters that plug into a regular outlet.
Old 02-18-2019, 08:55 AM

I haven't tried that but it might help. Incidentally there are 3 or 4 light levels at the touch of a button.
Originally Posted by thrums View Post
I hadn't thought about retreats. It would help while cutting. Do you/can you set it up for vertical lighting (e.g. on an easel) behind your machine?
Old 02-18-2019, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
Looks interesting ...
.... but I would sure want to try it before I bought.
Looking into the bright light is not something that I think my eyes could cope with.

Too, they look very expensive .... not that they are not worth it,
but I sure would want the proven experience before I even considered in investing.
I agree about looking into the bright light. I worry enough about time spent looking at my LED monitor. I have an old fashioned artist or photographer's light box which is wonderful for seeing some things, but I think I'll struggle alone with plain cutting mats, at least for now.
Old 02-18-2019, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by thrums View Post
Now that CutterPillar Glow Light Boards have been out a while I'm wondering what you think of them in terms of rotary cutting mats. My eyes requiring more light for accurate cuts and am wondering if this method of lighting would significantly help or not.

What light board size do you have?

I also see at https://sparrowquiltco.com/collectio...d-cutting-mats replacement mats are available. Do you like them?

Comments please.

Thank you!
Thrums, I was looking at the website you listed and noticed it's in Canadian dollars, so if you are in MI you may want to check out some different options for ordering. I googled it and it shows you can buy at MSQC, Amazon and even a Walmart listing. It does look like the prices are fairly consistent in price.

https://www.google.com/search?q=cutt...hrome&ie=UTF-8

here is the link to the company site: https://www.cutterpillar.com/
Old 02-19-2019, 12:54 AM

My reading glasses have a filter to help reduce some of the computer glare.
Old 02-19-2019, 04:54 AM

I had never heard of these before. I looked at the website. They look just like the Daylights which has a cutting board that fits on top. Their light boards are non breakable, you can stand on them and they won't break. I love all of Daylights products. The lights are easy on your eyes and they have them for all types of things to make your life easier.
Old 03-15-2019, 11:33 PM

Update:

I purchased a Cutter Pillar Ultra Glow Light Board mid-February from Missouri Star Quilt Company. With a collection of MSC gift cards (20% savings) bought at the 2018, a MSQC coupon, and Quilters Cash I was able to save $60 on my purchase of the Ultra light board with grid cutting mat, the smaller clear (tracing) mat and a tote bag for the board.

The light is diffused from the light board itself and from the cutting mat so there is no glare. It is much easier for me to see the grid lines for fabric placement, ruler placement and cutting. Yes, it was a pricey purchase, but with the discounts I had collected from MSQC I am pleased with my purchase.
Note: The delivery took an extra week, but it was worth the wait.

Thanks to all of you for your input. It helped me in making my decision.

==================================

P.S. I kept the foam corners that came in the shipping box. I'll put them on the corners of the glass light board before I put it into the tote bag. I cut the cardboard box sides to help reinforce the bag's interior.

Last edited by thrums; 03-15-2019 at 11:36 PM.
Old 03-16-2019, 12:23 AM

Out of curiosity, is this the same type of product as the Martelli light box?

https://shop.martellinotions.com/mar...tting-mat.html