Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Cutting into a piece of fabric

pal
    I've been collecting (1) yard pieces of fabric to make pillowcases for my grandchildren. I haven't made them yet and now I want to make SewsewQuilter's D9P using that fabric. I can't bring myself to cut into the fabric! Is this a typical quilter's problem or have I become a Hoarder?

Power Poster
    both

Power Poster
    What is SewSewQuilter's D9P

Super Member mary quite contrary's Avatar
    I know what you mean.

The hard part: making that first cut into a perfectly good piece of fabric.

The fun part: sewing it back together.

My knitting sister doesn't understand the obsession of cutting fabric into tiny bits and sewing it back together. And I like tiny bits.

Make the first cut. It'll be worth it.

Banned
    Yeah, I know what you mean, pal! Sure wish I had the same trouble cutting into a new pie...or cake...or pizza...or... :roll: :D

pal
    Bearisgray, I was referring to I Spy- Disappearing 9 patch posted under Pictures by Sewsew quilter, page 3, Nov. 8.

Banned
    OK, I used to have this problem with particular pieces of fabric that I just fell in love with and couldn't bring myself to cut it..

As a result, I still had some fabric from when I was a teen.

Then, I lost it all, along with all my other possessions, in a house fire.

Moral of the story: go ahead and CUT IT UP....you will be happy once you have used it, you will have put it to good use, and you can go shopping for some more.

I have no problem cutting up fabric now...

Think of it this way, and i know you are making pillow cases right now, but when you are cutting to make a quilt, you are increasing it's value!

Spend $300 on fabric and quilting supplies, make a quilt worth over $800.

That's my view of it.

Quote Originally Posted by pal
    I've been collecting (1) yard pieces of fabric to make pillowcases for my grandchildren. I haven't made them yet and now I want to make SewsewQuilter's D9P using that fabric. I can't bring myself to cut into the fabric! Is this a typical quilter's problem or have I become a Hoarder?
    I have that problem ALL the time. That's why I have a pile of fabric that has a "sign" on it ... do not touch lol

Blog Entries
    Yeah, I know what you mean, pal! Sure wish I had the same trouble cutting into a new pie...or cake...or pizza...or...
    :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ha ha ha ha ha! I posted a similar thread not long ago about not being able to cut into fat quarters! It is hard isn't it? I hate to cut into fabric until I have a planned quilt for it to go in. :)

When it was time for me to cut the fabric for my wedding gown I actually broke out in a hot sweat and starting shaking all over. Needed a good stiff drink to get on with it. . . .

Now when I get fat quarters I say to my self, "Someday I'll really need that, so I'd better not mess it up now." Bad on me.

But jstitch is absolutely right! Cut it up!

Cut the fabric. You will have gained a great quilt and you can use the left over fabric to piece together your pillowcase.

Quote Originally Posted by nor'easter
    Yeah, I know what you mean, pal! Sure wish I had the same trouble cutting into a new pie...or cake...or pizza...or... :roll: :D
    That cracks me up. I know exactly what you mean about cutting into the pie, etc. A little hesitation would do me some good. As for the fabric, I have this beautiful piece of blue background fabric (given to me by a friend) that is adorned with the most beautiful red birds and foliage, etc. I know what I would like to do with it, but I can't bring myself to make that first cut. And to make matters worse, I will have to fussy cut to do what I want to do. YIKES !

I had to buy a book: Just Can't Cut It, by Pamela Moster. Got me over the hump, knowing there are ways to use "uncuttable" fabric.

Blog Entries
    OK . Understand, but you have to jump in there and cut away. Just think of that beautiful quilt you are going to make.

The hardest for me was cutting into the satin for my daughters wedding dress.

Just think about the fabric. Would you enjoy it more folded in a plastic tub sitting on a shelf or cutting it up and using it?

I love it!:0)I thought I was the only person in the fabric/quilting world that didn't want to cut into favorite fabrics:))LOL I don't seem to have a prob. if I buy a 'run' on that fabric like it's 'brother, sister and all the cousins'...then I can invision where and how it can go into a quilt. It is when I buy 1....Then I am in so much trouble:))I have one right now that is so awesome and antique looking...and it is paired off w/a pattern, etc to make a tote...there it sits...looking at me from the shelf...not cut:))LOL I do take some of my favorites and put out on tables for decorations...sometimes w/surged ends. I just used one on my table for Halloween that I just love;0)Packed it up to use next year...:))SKeat

I have the same issues!! Thats way when I do use a piece that I love,I always try to replace it with the same thing. What a collection I have.
    I do have an addiction problem.

Power Poster
    If the pieces are out as "objects of art" then they are being used!

I agree. If you are enjoying them in the form they are in great. No need to cut them up.