Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Cutting Scrap Stash With Accuquilt Go Cutter

Super Member pumpkinpatchquilter's Avatar

Cutting Scrap Stash With Accuquilt Go Cutter

Does anyone do this? Any suggestions/recommendations/photos to share? I always really liked how Bonnie Hunter stores her scrap stash in usable shapes so she can just pull them out and sew. I just received an Accuquilt Go cutter along with a 2.5" strip cutting die and mats for Christmas and I was thinking this might be a great opportunity to cut up some of my several large overflowing bins of scraps into shapes so that I might actually use them!
    Valerie Smith - pumpkinpatchquilter
    Obsessed Quilter and APQS Long Arm Machine Quilter
    www.pumpkinpatchquilter.com

I'm interested to hear what others do as well. I have the small 3 inch tumbler die, and have been collecting the scraps for a while, sorting them into dark and lights. I am in the process of making a queen size quilt out of those, and in my opinion, it looks really nice. It's a nice way to use up scraps.
    I also have the 2 1/2 inch strip die, and have made numerous strips of those, but have not yet found the perfect pattern for them. Maybe someone else will have an idea.
    phranny ~ I cannot call my day complete. 'til needle, thread, and fabric meet.

Quote Originally Posted by pumpkinpatchquilter View Post
    Does anyone do this? Any suggestions/recommendations/photos to share? I always really liked how Bonnie Hunter stores her scrap stash in usable shapes so she can just pull them out and sew. I just received an Accuquilt Go cutter along with a 2.5" strip cutting die and mats for Christmas and I was thinking this might be a great opportunity to cut up some of my several large overflowing bins of scraps into shapes so that I might actually use them!
    I think it is a great idea! I don't have a machine but would love one to cute up fabric for donation quilts, NICU baby, military and hospice. A board member send me donation fabric for NICU baby quilts and they were all 6 in. squares. It was so easy to put together as the squares were perfect.

I think 2 1/2 in. strips and 6 or 6 1/2 in. squares would be wonderful to have on hand.
    Anna Quilts

I cut nearly everything into 2 1/2" strips. Just because there are tons of jelly roll patterns out there. I have done 4 1/2" and 2 1/2" squares. That was when i had only the basic die and strip cutter. Now i do mostly strips.

Blog Entries
    Yes, I use it for cutting scraps. I cut a bit more than Bonnie Hunter: 6.5, 5, 4.5, 3.5, 2.5, 2 and 1.5.
    I have strip cutters for the 2.5, 2 and 1.5 inch strips. So I grab a stack of scraps work thru the sizes, starting with the largest. If I can get at least a 6.5" square, I'll cut a 6.5" strip. I go thru the whole stack of scraps to see if I can get a 6.5 and cut those. Then I go to the 5" size & again go thru the whole stack, cutting 5" strips, then 4.5's I use a ruler to cut these 3 largest sizes, then use the die cutters for the rest, again, cutting the widest strip possible from the scrap. If the strip will only yield one square, then I cut the square and see if I can recut the remaining scrap. If the strip will yield at least 2 squares, I leave it whatever length it is, so I wind up with squares and strips in the sizes above.
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

Banned
    Yes, I do. I cut almost everything into 2.5 inch squares, matching 1/2 square triangles, and 3.5 inch squares and matching 1/2 square triangles. That covers 90% of any scrap quilt I might wish to make.

...what is your definition of scraps? Less than fat quarters? I do cut some scraps into 2 1/2" squares for L&Es but only do massive cutting of any size,shape of any other fab when I have decided to do a project. Cuttings I keep in a bin for crumb squares or strips on adding machine tape (5 rolls 3" from GW) larger scraps are in another bin ----now using those for hexie project. GFG/EPP, small trimmings are put in "pillowcase" type bags..made from whatever fabric...those go to animal shelter thru guild....

Did cut a boatload of odd fabrics into large apple core die shape....got tired of doing that...a new UFO created!

Super Member pumpkinpatchquilter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
    ...what is your definition of scraps? Less than fat quarters?

Did cut a boatload of odd fabrics into large apple core die shape....got tired of doing that...a new UFO created!
    Haha I'm afraid to cut them into anything too specific for this reason!

Yes my definition of scraps is anything from 2" odd shaped hunks to around a fat quarter or maybe leftover strips from cutting a border or working on another quilt. Anything that won't fold up neatly and be put on a shelf. I have three GIANT tubs full of them from about 11 years of avid quilting. LOL I never in the past wanted to cut them up "just in case" but I'm at the point where I think if I don't make them something quick and easy to use they will just sit in those bins forever!
    Valerie Smith - pumpkinpatchquilter
    Obsessed Quilter and APQS Long Arm Machine Quilter
    www.pumpkinpatchquilter.com

I cut into strips, squares, half square triangles, 60 degree triangles, even narrow strips. I like scrappy quilts and buy a lot a remnants.

Blog Entries
    The Gourmet Quilter recommends cutting scraps into strips only and store by width, especially when you don't have a chosen pattern. Then you can cut into rectangles, etc.

I just recently bought a set of dies for this purpose but I haven't had a chance to do it yet!

I bought a set of blocks and rectangles that will fit together. The ones I got finish at 1.5x3, 3x3, 3x6 and 6x6. With those, I think I'll be able to get maximum usage out of my scraps, and all those pieces can be assembled fairly easily into randomly pieced 12x12 blocks. I also have a die from another project that cuts blocks that finish at 4", those could get mixed in too. (I love scrappy/random quilts)

All the little strips and bits between the cuts will either go into crazy quilts or the dog bed bag.

Quote Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
    I just recently bought a set of dies for this purpose but I haven't had a chance to do it yet!

I bought a set of blocks and rectangles that will fit together. The ones I got finish at 1.5x3, 3x3, 3x6 and 6x6. With those, I think I'll be able to get maximum usage out of my scraps, and all those pieces can be assembled fairly easily into randomly pieced 12x12 blocks. I also have a die from another project that cuts blocks that finish at 4", those could get mixed in too. (I love scrappy/random quilts)
    All the little strips and bits between the cuts will either go into crazy quilts or the dog bed bag.
    Good plan.......I may follow with some of mine...maybe make a utility quilt from that.....I have to check and make sure I have all the sizes needed...either GO or Sizzix.......