Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Dealer servicing...ever have them do things you didn't request?? >

Dealer servicing...ever have them do things you didn't request??

Dealer servicing...ever have them do things you didn't request??

Old 06-23-2011, 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by Just-Lee
I took my machine for it's free servicing, where it is supposed to be completely checked out and "cleaned"-HA, what a joke that is! Anyway, it just needed minor adjustments for the overwinding bobbin and reverse associated loops, as well as "cleaning". Well, when I unpacked it, I notice a ton of holes in the plate (whatever you call it) around the feed dogs! Well, before I took it in, the plastic bobbin window/ access did not open very easily, but I managed ok. Apparently, they didn't like it, so they installed some thingamajig and now the window flies completely off of the machine and onto the floor...and there are 6, yes 6 holes, in the plate now. It's awful! I did not even mention any problems that I was having with it, so why would they mutilate my plate?? ARGGGGGGGG :evil:

Cleaning...I cleaned it before I took it in and it looks worse now. What is involved when dealers clean machines? How do you really know if they cleaned inside? I had lint all down around the bobbin case and everything, which had been cleaned before I took it in! Makes me mad and I really don't think you get what you pay for. I have big trust issues when I feel I have been mislead, so maybe I should just stick with the oldies that I can learn to fix/ service myself??
Always ask for the price before hand and make sure they call before they do anything else
obviously you need to find someone else to do your repairs. DH uses the compressor to blowo ut my mchines after each quilt or project but I take them in for an 'oil and lube' once a year - but I would rather travel further than deal with peoplep like that
Old 06-23-2011, 05:03 AM

OMG!! I never thought about it!! These folks are always on the defense, on their best day! I dread it. I have been considering selling this machine, just to not have to deal with them. I was new to sewing machines when I purchased, so I didn't do my homework. I always wondered why I would see people put their names on the machines with stickers and what not. I have no clue if it is mine or not, but it did have the same thread in it. Maybe I will just go trade it in today...ugh. Guess I will go remove the throat plate and take it with me...gulp! These mean old women scare me..lol.

Will post this afternoon when I get back, unless they lock me in their closet or something! Oh my! LOL
Old 06-23-2011, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by dunster
Wow, is it possible they gave you the wrong machine back? I'm fortunate that my local sewing machine repair shop (where I bought my machine) does great work.
My thoughts exactly.
Old 06-23-2011, 06:26 AM

What a horror story. Mine is in the shop now and I have to pick it up today. Hope it is just cleaned.
Old 06-23-2011, 06:48 AM

The lint could be from blowing the lint out of the machine, but you think they'd check the bobbin area after it was done. Defacing your machine is inexcusable and the plate should be replaced. Good luck.
Old 06-23-2011, 06:50 AM

If you have a warranty card or anything like that, it should show your serial number. I'd check it and make sure they match--if not, you really didn't get your machine back!
Old 06-23-2011, 07:22 AM

I'm having problems mentally picturing all these new holes. Could you post a photo??
Old 06-23-2011, 07:23 AM

normally, a dealer will record the serial # on the repair ticket in order to make sure that the right machine goes home with the right person.
Old 06-23-2011, 07:31 AM
Power Poster

So sorry, just be more assertive, don't let mean women scare you off. I don't trust the repair people I have to deal with either. Both close to me are shady.
Old 06-23-2011, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
call them and ask some questions- why they changed your plate- where the old one is (there is a law in this country---that applies to pretty much everything- if ANY repair person replaces a part or any kind- for any reason- they are REQUIRED to keep it AND OFFER IT to the owner- they are SUPPOSED TO tell you what they changed-why they changed it- and show you the old part- which you are entitled to taking with you if you want it...
make a call
Returning original parts only applies to services you the customer are paying for. It does not apply to free warranty services. For warranty work, the original parts are returned to the manufacturer for inspection.