Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
deposit to service a machine?? >

deposit to service a machine??

deposit to service a machine??

Old 08-17-2011, 04:33 AM

I find it relatively amusing as well. Although here I have not been asked to leave a deposit. I have a regular store I take my machines to, to have them serviced, have used and purchased from them for years. Same with my jewelry, used them forever and they ask no deposits either. Although I would have no issues with giving them one either.
Old 08-17-2011, 04:45 AM

I can see both sides of the problem. My parents ran a small florist business out of our home and my father also had a full time job. Their worst customers were those who came and ordered lots of flowers for a funeral and even had the nerve to ask for rare flowers or extra expensive arrangements and then were late or forever coming up with the money. Under the circumstances my mother hated to hound them for payment but she had four children to feed. The shops I deal with don't require a deposit but I wouldn't mind if they had a sign that said unclamined machines would be sold after a certain period of time. Small business people often walk a thin line between success and failure.
Old 08-17-2011, 04:49 AM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

Why would anyone be offended to leave a deposit? , do you not ask for a deposit for a commissioned quilt.. ?!?!?!?! OF COURSE YOU DO .. why? so if the other person changes their mind you still cover your cost..

No different in this case, sure they have YOUR machine, but anything could happen, and the owner of the machine does not return, lost your job- no money to pay for the servicing, God calls.. Cash pays the bills, not your machine sitting in the back collecting dust..

the shop already forked out the pay for the servicing..
Old 08-17-2011, 05:10 AM

I used to do the books for a small engine repair shop(chain saws, weed eaters, etc...), and people would always come in and drop their equipment off, then never come and get it, Sad fact is...with most machines it costs more for parts and labor than to just go get a new machine....I know that is not applicable with the higher end sewing machines, but a shop owner can't charge one person a deposit and not the next...they have to keep their practices even for all.
And....there are laws that are so prohibitive for a shop owner to get their money...in this state you have to store the item for a full year, and send out at least 3 certified letters asking for payment...and even then you have to go to court to get what is called a "contractor's lein"...to have permission to sell it...that means the shop owner has to take a half day off from the business, to go to court for what would eventually get him very little money anyway...
I don't blame any small business owner for charging a deposit...if you intend to retrieve your machine, you get it back anyway...
Old 08-17-2011, 05:19 AM

My Pfaff has now been in the shop for over 6 weeks. Thank heavens I got a "back up" machine. The thought of not being able to sew would drive me a little more crazy. The cost to repair the Pfaff came out to be the cost of the "back up". Oh well.
Old 08-17-2011, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by LucyInTheSky
Our Bernina shop doesn't ask for a deposit. But, yeah, they have the machine so there's not a risk of me not paying, since I want my baby back!
Our local repairmen have been around for many years and in several cases have passed the business down from father to sons. Have never ask for deposits. They know where to find us if we don't show up again
Old 08-17-2011, 05:24 AM

My shop doesn't ask either but, as someone else posted, in this economy, if it's small shop, maybe the deposit would help toward the parts.

I wouldn't mind either but, like you said, they have your machine.
Old 08-17-2011, 05:29 AM

I would find a different place,but again,less you have to pay when you pick them up.Connie in CO
Old 08-17-2011, 06:09 AM

It's normal for them to ask $50 here but I'm with you, the machine is worth $7,000.00, which I would hardly leave behind as I'm on a pension now...lol
Old 08-17-2011, 06:13 AM

Location: Once an Iowan, always an Iowan, but now suburban Chicagoland

Originally Posted by donna13350
I used to do the books for a small engine repair shop(chain saws, weed eaters, etc...), and people would always come in and drop their equipment off, then never come and get it, Sad fact is...with most machines it costs more for parts and labor than to just go get a new machine....I know that is not applicable with the higher end sewing machines, but a shop owner can't charge one person a deposit and not the next...they have to keep their practices even for all.
And....there are laws that are so prohibitive for a shop owner to get their money...in this state you have to store the item for a full year, and send out at least 3 certified letters asking for payment...and even then you have to go to court to get what is called a "contractor's lein"...to have permission to sell it...that means the shop owner has to take a half day off from the business, to go to court for what would eventually get him very little money anyway...
I don't blame any small business owner for charging a deposit...if you intend to retrieve your machine, you get it back anyway...
This post should end the discussion...it makes sense...!!! Why should anyone get upset at leaving a deposit..it comes off the charge anyway. Get upset over something that matters!