Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Design wall questions...I want one in my sewing room >

Design wall questions...I want one in my sewing room

Design wall questions...I want one in my sewing room

Old 09-15-2017, 03:46 AM

Originally Posted by kinminis View Post
I have read online several ideas about a design wall, but can't make up my mind what works best to keep the blocks on the wall without falling off. What do you use to cover the styrofoam insulation? I have read some people use anti-pill fleece, flannel or felt, other have said Warm and Natural batting works.

I would like your opinions and also photos of your design wall. I have wall space of 82" x 82" to mount the design wall.

What worked best for you to apply your covering to the styrofoam.....staples, duct tape, glue, etc.?

I have also read using Command mounting strips work to mount the styrofoam to the wall....I can't put nails in the wall.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! I am tired of running to the spare bedroom to lay out my blocks, then have to remove them if the kids come for the weekend. We have a small dog so laying blocks on the floor is not an option either.

Thanks in advance.
Can you PM me? I would like to share what I have that works, is "cleanable" and can be put up and taken down in less than a minute.............
Old 09-15-2017, 03:55 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Shorebird View Post
Can you PM me? I would like to share what I have that works, is "cleanable" and can be put up and taken down in less than a minute.............
It sure would be nice if you would share with everyone!
Always looking for more ideas ...............
Old 09-15-2017, 05:08 AM

I use the Styrofoam boards with headliner attached to it following Eleanor Burns tutorial. I don't know how in the world she uses it without pins because my projects fall off constantly if I don't pin. I have had it for years and when I moved I didn't attach it to the wall it just leans up against it. I may have to try the command hooks.
Old 09-15-2017, 05:37 AM

I also use Warm and Natural, stuck to the wall with giant push pins. I know you said you can't use pins, but I just wanted to say that the W & N works great for me as far as "fabric stickiness" goes. I can put a whole twin size quilt top (~ 65"x 80") on there and it stays stuck without pins. Anything bigger needs help.

My only problem is that that room's ceiling is very low, only 6.5', so the bottom of the quilts hang on the floor. First world problems. It is almost the entire width of the room though (8'+), so that's really nice. I have room to stick some small projects on there too, in addition to the current WIP.

At some point, I would like to have a portable and taller design wall, but for now, this works for me.

Rob, I LOVE both of those quilts on your design wall! Especially the one on the right.

Last edited by SherylM; 09-15-2017 at 05:47 AM.
Old 09-15-2017, 06:47 AM
Power Poster

Mine is Warm and Natural and I love it. I showed it to my sister and she was amazed. The pieces stay on very nicely.
Old 09-15-2017, 07:33 AM

Since I only need a portion of the wall most of the time, I have 2 insulation sheets covered in felt. On the backside I have attached several pieces of duct tape so that the sheets can be opened when I need the full size and stay together or I can only use one when they are 'folded together. This way they can be used in the workroom or moved to the big room when I want to work there.
Old 09-15-2017, 08:14 AM

My sewing room is small and crowded. Add to that two windows, two 24 inch closet doors, and one pocket door. Wall space is non-existant (almost). But I've been playing with the idea to use the pocket doors. I want to add cup hooks above the door frame, and add a flannel backed table cloth with buttonholes sewn where the cup hooks are. Maybe will sew a narrow pocket to the bottom and slide in a dowel rod for extra stability. Anyone thing this will work???
Old 09-15-2017, 08:19 AM

Love all the ideas. I'm thinking I am at the point that I would love a design wall-- I'm so tired of laying everything out on the living room floor!
Old 09-15-2017, 10:15 AM

I too use a flannel backed tablecloth ... I have binder clips at the top to hang it up on command hooks. If blocks don't stay put I use a few pins ... it is portable from my hallway to my travel trailer. Simple, cheap and portable!
Old 09-15-2017, 01:41 PM

My design "wall" is really over one of my windows. We cut solid insulation to fit the window (cut for 3" x 3" holes in it so that the window doesn't sweat). Then I hung white flannel on a curtain rod over the insulation (they are each separate from the other). This works well for me. It is about 48" x 48". The flannel runs down farther than the window and I just pine those blocks on if I need them there.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]580606[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails sewing-room2.jpg