Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
design wall tutorial >

design wall tutorial

design wall tutorial

Old 04-13-2015, 09:51 AM

Default design wall tutorial

I recently saw a tutorial for a design wall made out of home dec fabric, batting and some sort of roll_PVC or a carpet roll,etc. I SWORE I bookmarked the site, but now that I need it, it has disappeared. Did anyone see that lately? I am sure I could do it without a tutorial, but hints are always appreciated! Could have been here or on a blog. (I keep getting 'your IP address has been banned' when I try to search. I must have been a BAD girl! Wonder what I did??? lol) Thanks in advance....
Old 04-13-2015, 10:35 AM
Power Poster

as to the IP address, are you using a home or business computer? on the QB, if your IP address was banned, your member name would say banned and you wouldn't be able to sign on. there's nothing on your QB history to show that you have been 'naughty' here... can't speak for elsewhere LOL
Old 04-13-2015, 10:41 AM
Power Poster

this is not recent, but this is a tut on the QB http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...y-t233947.html
and here's a great idea by Jan in VA http://www.quiltingboard.com/general...ml#post6509162
Old 04-13-2015, 10:59 AM

I made one out of PVC pipes and headliner cloth found the idea here on the QB
http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...08;t26348.html
I have limited room. I had made one using styofoam, but it was a problem storing when not in use. Using the PVC pipe frame I can take it down and store the pipes in a wastebasket that will fit in the closet. The headliner I roll up and it fits in the closet also. Works great
Old 04-13-2015, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by Peaso View Post
I made one out of PVC pipes and headliner cloth found the idea here on the QB
http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...08;t26348.html
I have limited room. I had made one using styofoam, but it was a problem storing when not in use. Using the PVC pipe frame I can take it down and store the pipes in a wastebasket that will fit in the closet. The headliner I roll up and it fits in the closet also. Works great
Thanks so much for posting this...could you give me the folder and thread name where you found the picture? It is says picture not found. I appreciate your search for me!

Nan, I have only had this message one a few pages! and I try SO hard to be a good girl! (hehehehehe!) A few times I was looking at a thread...only to get that message on the 2nd or 3rd page of that thread. I have logged out and logged back on to see if that works. I am using my own home computer that only I use...thanks for the help...
Old 04-13-2015, 03:45 PM

What a rabbit hole! I needed to be looking for something for my husband for our taxes...and WHAT was I looking for?? this tutorial! it was on Quiltville.blogspot.com but did not come up when I did a search...Scroll down for the design mat idea...

http://quiltville.blogspot.com/2015/...lsa-style.html
Old 04-14-2015, 05:06 AM
Power Poster

I prefer using flannel on a design wall because your blocks will stay in place. Batting can get a bit of dust over time. I just run the lint rollers over my design walls. Home Dec fabric would not have the ability to keep you block in place without using pins. I just covered 1" styrofoam insulation with flannel.
Old 04-14-2015, 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
I prefer using flannel on a design wall because your blocks will stay in place. Batting can get a bit of dust over time. I just run the lint rollers over my design walls. Home Dec fabric would not have the ability to keep you block in place without using pins. I just covered 1" styrofoam insulation with flannel.
I use flannel also on Styrofoam.When pieces get larger even on flannel you may need to pin.I do not think home dec will hold pieces at all without pinning.
Old 04-14-2015, 06:12 AM

this is to lay on the floor when I go to sew someplace else. I go to two groups each month and have room to lay this out, but not a wall to hang it on. I have three design walls at home! One is made of a building material (so old I cannot remember what its called)- that is a whole wall. The two in my sewing room are made of white fleece. They work great.