Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
DH bought a Brother today! >

DH bought a Brother today!

DH bought a Brother today!

Old 03-04-2010, 08:11 PM
Power Poster

but not for me!! LOL He says it is so he can hem his own pajamas which I keep putting off doing! LOL He also says as the grands are starting to get interested they might need to use it! LOL He did learn to sew in the army and can sew a straight seam but he is too unsteady to do any quilting.

He says it's a back up for when my antique 50's reproduction of an 1850's Singer decides to call it a day!! LOL My Singer is just a sewing machine no frills no extras. However I love my Singer and won't give it up til it gives up the ghost and then I will probably try to revive her!! But in the meantime when I get past some deadlines I look forward to trying out the new Brother!!
This one (I picked it out with him) the feeddogs will go down for free motion quilting! I have never really tried it before. It has alot of embroidery stitchs on it. It is a Brother 5000. It says it is a Project Runway edition. Don't know how good it is but we shall see!
Old 03-04-2010, 08:17 PM

Yea! I always like to read about someone "adopting" a new machine! :D
Old 03-04-2010, 08:24 PM
Power Poster

What a great addition to your household. Have fun playing with "his" new toy.
Old 03-05-2010, 04:36 AM

I have one of those Brothers Rhonda and it is good.
Old 03-05-2010, 05:35 AM
Power Poster

I am dying to try it out but I have to have as much stuff done as I can get done by next Thurs to take up to my local gift shop for her open house. So I can't take time to do anything else right now. After that I hope to try out a few things on it.
Old 03-05-2010, 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by littlehud
What a great addition to your household. Have fun playing with "his" new toy.
yes what a nice machine
Old 03-05-2010, 05:48 AM
Power Poster

I never thought I would want anything computerized but the deciding factor for me was it will thread it for Glen. He used to darn his own socks and anything else that came up and he recently sewn up but hand a seam that came undone on a pair of pants. So he isn't unfamiliar with sewing. I can see him using it when he feels like it. But he has no interest in quilting per se. He has made comments in the past that he wished he could help me by doing some of the prep work but if he concentrates more than a few minutes on something he has an epileptic type episode or he blacks out for awhile. His brain shuts him down. So I don't see him quilting. But he loves machines! so he will probably mess around with it some. I am all for anything that gives him an interest. He sits in the bedroom with the tv on or he plays solitaire. That is all he can do. He can't concentrate to do a whole lot or he forgets what he was doing. He has a memory disorder. Short term memory is not great. He was a mechanic and he loves tinkering on machines. He does all the laundry and does the dishes with his dishwasher. He has certain rules about how they are used!! Hope he doesn't come up with some dos and don'ts for the Brother!!!

BTW when I was thinking of how I was going to title this I thought that sounds so funny to say he bought a Brother. He has 7 biolical brothers!! He wouldn't need to buy another real brother!!!! LOL
Old 03-05-2010, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by Rhonda
but not for me!! LOL He says it is so he can hem his own pajamas which I keep putting off doing! LOL He also says as the grands are starting to get interested they might need to use it! LOL He did learn to sew in the army and can sew a straight seam but he is too unsteady to do any quilting.

He says it's a back up for when my antique 50's reproduction of an 1850's Singer decides to call it a day!! LOL My Singer is just a sewing machine no frills no extras. However I love my Singer and won't give it up til it gives up the ghost and then I will probably try to revive her!! But in the meantime when I get past some deadlines I look forward to trying out the new Brother!!
This one (I picked it out with him) the feeddogs will go down for free motion quilting! I have never really tried it before. It has alot of embroidery stitchs on it. It is a Brother 5000. It says it is a Project Runway edition. Don't know how good it is but we shall see!
I just got this machine too!! My singer was a $50 black friday special about 10 years ago, and I pushed it to death.

I bought it last weekend, but I just got to play with it tonight...

I finished up my Downy quilt in about an hour (the quilting part) and I finished a UFO in about an hour as well (needed quilted as well)

Make sure you thread the bobbin through that extra little piece outside of the bobbin cover - other than that little step, I have had NO problems so far. I even used one of the "fancy" stitches tonight and had great fun!

=)
Old 03-05-2010, 08:30 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by jetnica
Originally Posted by Rhonda

I just got this machine too!! My singer was a $50 black friday special about 10 years ago, and I pushed it to death.

I bought it last weekend, but I just got to play with it tonight...

I finished up my Downy quilt in about an hour (the quilting part) and I finished a UFO in about an hour as well (needed quilted as well)

Make sure you thread the bobbin through that extra little piece outside of the bobbin cover - other than that little step, I have had NO problems so far. I even used one of the "fancy" stitches tonight and had great fun!

=)
Great! Now I know who to ask questions of!! I won't use it for most stuff but I would like to play around with some fmq on it. I am so used to my Singer that I won't switch permanently til I have to.
Old 03-05-2010, 09:51 PM
Power Poster

Woo Hoo :D:D:D new toys are so much fun :D:D:D