Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Diagonal lines ? >

Diagonal lines ?

Diagonal lines ?

Old 02-19-2012, 04:41 AM

Best to use the bar that comes with your sewing machine.`Once you have sewn the first line, you set the bar to whatever width you want the lines to be apart and always make sure that the curved part runs along the previous line of stitching. It is also wise to alternate the direction of the stitching so that the quilt doesn't skew in one direction. Nancy Zieman gives a nice tutorial on one of her SWN programs.
Old 02-19-2012, 05:02 AM

I either draw the lines and stitch them or just use the longarm ruler to run down through the corners of the squares.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:29 AM

if you stitch in the ditch all the lenghtwise and crosswise seams first everything is stabilized to do crosswise but i know that is not the popular way anymore.
Old 02-19-2012, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by FoxxyQuilter View Post
You know, I recently did cross-hatch quilting lines on a wall hanging, and because I didn't have any painter's tape handy, I used disappearing ink to draw a line from one corner to the other (diagonally across my quilt, so that I ended up with a big X in the area where I wanted to do the cross-hatch quilting), sewed along those lines (very quickly, before the ink disappeared ), and then used the edge guide that came with my machine (a metal piece that extends out from the foot of my machine, and can be adjusted so that it follows the edge of the fabric when sewing a wide hem, etc.) to follow the lines I had already stitched, at 1 1/2" intervals (I also switched directions each time I sewed a line, so that my fabric didn't shift too much one direction or the other). It worked pretty slick, and saved me from having to run to the store for painter's tape
I just finished a cross-hatched baby quilt. Instructions I have seen (class instructors, books) say to sew all the diagonals in the same direction before starting in the other direction and "crossing" the first set of lines...Wonder which is right? I mark every line with water-soluable marking pen. It takes a little more time, but I find clearly discernable lines helpful. I am not so good with blue tape. The most important step, as far as I understand it, is to make sure you stitch your securing lines to minimize shifting, (in addition to basting). On my baby quilt I couldn't just sew a line from corner to corner or from top center to bottom center and side center to side center (because of the block pattern), so I had to do two Xs--side-to-side in the top half of the quilt and again in the lower half of the quilt to secure the sandwich before starting on my diagonal cross-hatching lines.
Old 02-19-2012, 01:04 PM

Tks for all your tips. My problem is that I can't sew a straight line to save my life. Been looking over the 'net some people suggest notebook paper to practice with. Marking isn't my problem, but sewing straight lines seem to be. Aaarrrrrgh!
Old 02-19-2012, 05:04 PM

One of the most freeing things I learned in a quilting class was to use wavy lines on purpose. I have started using the serpentine stitch (kind of a wavy big zig zag) and do diagonal lines. Since the lines aren't straight, when I go off course a little it doesn't show. Every time I do diagonal straight stitching I can't sew them straight.
Old 02-19-2012, 11:51 PM

I don't do a lot of cross hatching or diagonal lines, but do them on my bow tucks bags. I have a guide that fits into my walking foot that I use. Also heard the painters tape is great.
Old 02-20-2012, 03:33 AM

No one has mentioned this, so: I use a stencil with straight lines (mine's from Pam Clarke) with a pounce pad and white chalk. If the fabric is too light for white chalk, I use the white chalk with some blacklight chalk mixed in. The blacklight chalk shows up as fluorescent green under a black light. Both chalks come out with a wiping with a damp clean cloth, or by soaking the finished quilt in water. I used the blue chalk pounce once on a light background and had trouble getting all the blue out, so I'm not a fan of that, and prefer the blacklight powder instead.
Old 02-20-2012, 04:34 AM

I thought the powder chalk comes off with steam iron. Never heard of the blacklight powder only the white and blue.
Old 02-20-2012, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by lfw045 View Post
I've used blue painter's tape and hand quilted along the edge in order to keep it straight. I know others will give you even better tips. Good luck and don't forget to post a picture when you are done!

This is what I do. Use painter's tape. I have had other masking tape leave a sticky residue which my walking foot was getting hung up on.

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!