Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Did Anyone Attend the MQX Show in Portland? >

Did Anyone Attend the MQX Show in Portland?

Did Anyone Attend the MQX Show in Portland?

Old 10-15-2011, 08:36 PM

Wondered if any of you folks on the board made it to the Machine Quilters Expo at the Oregon Convention Center in Portland this week? The quilts, though not that many of them were displayed, were lovely. Unfortunately, I did not take my camera so I have no pictures, but wonderful quilts on display. I came home inspired and fired up my machine as soon as the kids were in bed! :thumbup:
Old 10-15-2011, 09:28 PM

I tried but wasn't able to get any classes and didn't want to drive on down by myself just to go browse.
I will be better prepared next time!
K
Old 10-15-2011, 09:30 PM
Banned

I was going to go work at one of the vendors and backed out at the last minute. I love going and seeing the quilts ...but needed to be home with my family this weekend.
Old 10-16-2011, 06:22 AM

I was there. I've been posting pictures on my blog (link below). I've posted pictures the past two days, and I'll continue for a few days more.
Old 10-16-2011, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by ScubaK
I tried but wasn't able to get any classes and didn't want to drive on down by myself just to go browse.
I will be better prepared next time!
K
I am with you, didn't get any classes (altho I saw many in the brochure that interested me) and didn't want to go by myself to just look! I do plan to be prepared next year and get at least a couple of classes when they first become available.
Old 10-16-2011, 10:01 AM

The classes did look great, and I understand they filled up really fast. Maybe next year some of us will meet in classes there! Charisma I wondered if you would have any quilts on display - I looked for your name! The quilts were gorgeous and a wide range of skill levels - I was using the pebble filler as my guide and checking people's pebbles! (Try saying that fast 10 times). I loved seeing all the ideas for quilting motifs - such creativity!!
Old 10-16-2011, 10:06 AM

I was unable to attend, although I wanted to. A friend of mine went and said there wasn't much that she hadn't already seen at other shows (that I have been able to attend), so I don't feel that I missed much. She also said it was pretty small, not a lot of vendors. Hopefully it will grow bigger next year!
Old 10-16-2011, 02:11 PM

Great longarm show. Not much else but it was good for specifics. The quilt that won the grand prize totally deserved it and should win top prize anywhere. Piecing, applique, embroidery, inking, quilting, it had it all.

The classes were good but one complaint is that they tried to shoehorn too many bodies in the lecture classes. McTavish had 65 in her "How Do I Quilt This" class. Too many to talk long about any one quilt. The teachers had good visual tools though.

One teacher charged us $30 for three little sandwiches to use so they did try and nickel and dime us. But the time to practice on new machines was precious.

I did learn that it is very much a business and I should wait before purchasing anything. So I am going home to work on my Bernina much more.
Old 10-16-2011, 07:04 PM

Yes, it did seem nickel and dimey to me too. I had recognized some of the quilts, but not that many of them. Of course, I only make it to a few shows each year... Still, it was the first year and I am sure it will get bigger. I enjoyed it nonetheless, and actually liked not having too many vendors there (I had no extra money to spend so the lack of temptation was helpful, haha!)

That is interesting about the classes - I'll have to check them out thoroughly next year. I bet the Rhode Island show is something else!
Old 10-16-2011, 07:39 PM

I had someone say on facebook that they had already registered for 2012. I wouldn`t think all the information would be out yet, but maybe to get on their mailing list.