Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Did you get the CRAFTY gene in your family? >

Did you get the CRAFTY gene in your family?

Did you get the CRAFTY gene in your family?

Old 02-27-2011, 12:56 PM

Being the oldest of 7 kids, the crafting gene bit only 3 of us. I loved hand-embroidery,sewing and then quilting. One of my sisters loved flower arranging and general crafts but hated sewing as always told us she would need a blood transfusion. My youngest sister doesn't sew either but can craft some weird things like a bottle cap snake and taking an armadillo shell ( possum on a half shell) and using it as a flowerpot after she dried it out. She takes rocks, driftwood, etc and can craft some really pretty items. I hate to see the art of quilting end with me but maybe their is hope for a grandchild yet.
Old 03-01-2011, 01:53 AM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
I posted earlier about our kids sewing/quilting, but was wondering, are the only one in your family that got the crafty gene?
Do you have anyone to share your quilting passion with in your family?

in My family we have 3 girls...all of us sew, we have crafty genes on bo silver smithing, etc...and my mom does just about everything, but quilt!
One of us girls does not quilt, but she sews garments that are amazing! My baby sister is learning to quilt and I can share that with her now..my daughter also quilts, so I share things with her.

WE all do many arts and crafts...I mean many!
In my family of 3 girls the two eldest makes quilts and sews, My eldest daughter sews and is starting to make her first quilt. Both my younger sister and daughter said the creative gene was not passed onto them. Even my aunt (the middle one) says she also missed out on the gene. She did make dolls, dolls clothes and other baby things when she was younger but Grandma and mum were there also so you would think some thing would have gone to her.
Old 03-01-2011, 01:54 AM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
I posted earlier about our kids sewing/quilting, but was wondering, are the only one in your family that got the crafty gene?
Do you have anyone to share your quilting passion with in your family?

in My family we have 3 girls...all of us sew, we have crafty genes on bo silver smithing, etc...and my mom does just about everything, but quilt!
One of us girls does not quilt, but she sews garments that are amazing! My baby sister is learning to quilt and I can share that with her now..my daughter also quilts, so I share things with her.

WE all do many arts and crafts...I mean many!
In my family of 3 girls the two eldest makes quilts and sews, My eldest daughter sews and is starting to make her first quilt. Both my younger sister and daughter said the creative gene was not passed onto them. Even my aunt (the middle one) says she also missed out on the gene. She did make dolls, dolls clothes and other baby things when she was younger but Grandma and mum were there also so you would think some thing would have gone to her.
Old 03-02-2011, 05:05 AM

I must have inherited the gene. My Mom did some really nice work before my arrival on the scene. I found evidence of it after she passed away. My Dad's mother owned 3 hat shops while she was young. Unfortunately I never knew her, she passed away during the swine flu epidemic in 1918. My Aunt Alice liked to sew for herself and now my cousin JoAnne has taken up quilting too. I can't remember not wanting to create something.
Old 03-02-2011, 05:18 AM

I am one of 5 daughters. Our mother quilted and sewed all the time as well as our grandmother. Four out of five of us inherited the crafty gene. I'm not sure what happened to the other sister but we love her just the same. I feel very fortunate as the crafty gene has passed to my only daughter who is now 26 and just starting to sew, quilt, crochet, craft.
Old 03-13-2011, 04:19 PM

My mother and aunt were great at sewing and my mum could have upholstered leather chairs, done oil paintings and just about anything. Have to say I can hardly draw a straight line...love sewing but have to work at it ..son has an arts degree from the Royal College..so I think the artist genes skipped a generation and went straight to him... :D