Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Did you get the CRAFTY gene in your family? >

Did you get the CRAFTY gene in your family?

Did you get the CRAFTY gene in your family?

Old 02-24-2011, 12:47 PM

I have three brothers and two sisters, and I am the only one with the craft gene. My mother made our clothes, she could knit, crochet and did some embroidery. She taught me to sew--thank goodness--but I do not have anyone in my family to share my love of quilting or any craft with. Personally, I don't even think they have a clue as to how much work I put into quilting. They look at one of my quilts and say "that's nice." But I do have friends and QB members to keep me inspired.
Old 02-24-2011, 12:47 PM

I am the only of seven children that does quilting, embroidery and some garment/odd ends sewing. The only person I know and can talk to about my work is my Mama. That is until I met all of you on the QB. I have gotten enough courage to drive to the nearest LQS and sign up for classes too. (I hate driving.). It looks like my MIL is discovering the quilting world too.
Old 02-24-2011, 12:57 PM

Of the three girls, yup!

One sister sews meticulously (she's a perfectionist) but doesn't keep up with it.

I enjoy sewing, cross-stitch, crochet and knitting. Sadly, my family doesn't appreciate gifts of this type.
Old 02-24-2011, 01:19 PM

I am the only one in my family who enjoy sewing / crafts. I seem to enjoy most everything. When living in TX I made Jewlery, cut my own turquoise, made silver rings and such to sell. My grandma USE to quilt because she had to, recycled clothing to stay warm, Then in later years for the love of quilting. I learned from her some basic's of quilting. Made my first real quilts last summer. Still paying for material on them. hmmm, will never go in debt for that again (smile) also like Cross stitch, Crochet, knitting, just about any thing crafty intrigues me. With quilting I still feel so out of place. This is the ONLY place I can come to to actually learn. With all everyone posts and sharing tutorials has helped me lots. So I'd like to say thank you to everyone on QB.... (((hugs)))
Old 02-24-2011, 02:02 PM

I definately have the gene. My DD#3 does too. Right now she focuses that on her scrapbooking and taking pictures. She also just got married in October so she's using her talents to turn the home from a Bachleor Pad into a beautiful home obviously occupied by a female.
Still waiting if any of the gene passed onto DD#1 or 2.

My mother is very artistic. Though she used to sew, never quilt, she does oil painting. I have her paintings all over the house along with my many Cross Stitch pictures.

My middle brother (I have 3) likes to play with a scroll saw sometimes.
Old 02-24-2011, 02:05 PM

My maternal grandmother was a home ec teacher and sewed all her clothes and mine. My father was a very talented wood-worker. My mother barely will do any type of craft. My brother used to build custom homes. My son doesn't do crafts or woodworking. My daughter, at 35 finally started making crafty things. My mother and son do not understand what I do...............
Old 02-24-2011, 02:05 PM

My mom always made me and my sister clothing growing up. This is not something I have ventured into yet but I have done almost every craft there is out. My sister does not get into so many crafts but still her share.

My Grandmother says she is alergic to needles as she is not a sewer in any means.
Old 02-24-2011, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
I posted earlier about our kids sewing/quilting, but was wondering, are the only one in your family that got the crafty gene?
Do you have anyone to share your quilting passion with in your family?

in My family we have 3 girls...all of us sew, we have crafty genes on both sides..my dad sews, does leather work, lapidary, silversmithing, etc...and my mom does just about everything, but quilt!
One of us girls does not quilt, but she sews garments that are amazing! My baby sister is learning to quilt and I can share that with her now..my daughter also quilts, so I share things with her.

WE all do many arts and crafts...I mean many!
I have an aunt that does crafts but I am the only one that sew's, craft's and learning to quilt. My daughter and stepdaughter are not into it yet.
Old 02-24-2011, 02:23 PM

I am neither crafty or creative. Just highly capable. its more of a neccesity thing. It needs to be done I do it. I do stuff to keep busy.
Old 02-24-2011, 02:26 PM

All four of us kids got the crafty/artsy gene.

More important .... I got the Chicken Vesuvio gene. Skipped a generation too. I'm the only one in the family that can make it as good as my grandmother. In my family, this is a very sought after gene :)