Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Did you get the CRAFTY gene in your family?

I am the only one left of my family, mother,father, brother and sister all gone. Of my children, my oldest daughter started me quilting. I had always sewn, sewed oldest three childrens clothes. I mean all their clothes except underwear, but never quilted. My son does engraving as a hobby. My youngest daughter will probably never quilt, although she would love to, but she has 7 children from 15 down to 3mos. and hasn't time to breathe much less quilt. Oh, PS, she home schools all of them too. Need I say more.

I'm an only child. My mom was not a quilter, sewer or crafty person. However, my gradmother was a quilter and crafter and I remember as a young child lying under her quilting frame watching the needles go up and down. My only daughter has no interest in quilting or any type of crafts. I'm making sure my granddaughters are exposed with a joyful experience with quilting. Hoping someone will want all my stash, machines, and gadgets.

Oh heck no. Mom used to crochet (she's 80 now) but now she says it makes her nervous (???). Alas, she does not get the idea of quilting....loves the product but why go to all the trouble of cutting up fabric and re-sewing it. Sound familiar? Have one sister - and she doesn't do craft one. Sigh.

QM
    I am the youngest of 4. The next sister up sewed magnificently until shortly after her marriage, then nothing. The eldest did some crafts in HS and college, then went on the med school and became a neurosurgeon, so had no more time for crafts. My mother knew how to hem and do French knots, period. Both my grandmothers, and my great grands were very creative needlewomen, amoung other skills. My Dad did everything from making shoes and various musical instruments, to weaving, spinning and tailoring. I am the only one to continue to be 'crafty' in adulthood. My maternal grandmother designed and built her own house. I think I got my crafty genes from both sides. Like my grandmother and my Dad, I have done some of a huge number of crafts.

Blog Entries
    I'm the only one. My Mom was never into any sort of craft, neither was my Dad. I did have an Aunt who loved to knit, but she lived in Scotland and died many years ago so I never had the opportunity to share our love of crafts. I don't even have any close friends who craft. Lonely sometimes. That's why I love this board!

Blog Entries
    In my family, my dad was very handy, could do anything, he played violin when younger, also painted great murals on the living room windows at Christmastime of the Nativity Scene (freehand). My mother sewed, my one brother was quite artistic, drew great cartoons when we were kids. As an adult he carved wood birds, and made bird houses. My other brother is more the mechanical type, restores Mustangs, but is handy around the house too.

My sister makes the most beautiful sewn items. My brother sews. Mom sewed and made most my dresses when I was a kid and made both my wedding gown and my sisters. So, sewing is in my genes. Quilting is another story - mom never quilted - she loved to knit and crochet though. I have many of her hand crocheted doilies. My sister and I have ventured into quilting and we are both enjoying it. I love the geometry of planning a quilt.

My Mom gave me the crafty gene , but my Dad liked to work with tools. My sister was much handier with tools and I am so grateful that I like to work with my hands - Mom said that "if God would leave her with her hands and her eyes, she would be okay/"

Banned
    Blog Entries
    My Mother was a seamstress who made all our clothes and clothes for others. She made only one quilt in her life. She also crocheted sweaters and vests.
    My Dad was an artist and became a wood carver.
    My sister does tole painting and other crafts (or did when she was younger). She also used to be a cake decorator and photographer.
    My daughter sews and quilts, and although we live just 5 miles apart we rarely quilt together.
    My son does glass etching (Like I used to do).

And I - quilt, sew some, and have done:
    Photography, glass etching (non chemical), wood burning, floral arranging, scrapbookking, and a variety of other things.

Can't imagine not having a craft hobby/business.

Yes, I think I got the crafty gene...my mother though not a quilter always did a lot of crafting, and sewed a lot of our clothes when we were little. My aunt Dotty was the one who was a quilter(macular degeneration now) and I got started in quilting due to her. I am fortunate to have had both of their influences, and to have inherited the "crafty gene."

I am the only one of four kids who does any type of sewing, but my Dad and Brothers are wood crafters. I grew up in a construction family, my Dad and Brothers make beautiful furiture, ect/
    Sister and Mom do no sewing. But My Grandma on my Dad side, the one who I look like was a quilter. And I am teaching my other Grandma!

My family was semi crafty. My mother did knitting and crochet, but not sewing. Her cousin by marriage was a wonderful sewer. Even if we aren't blood related, she is the one who inspired me. My sister on the other hand sniffs on handmade stuff. Handmade things are only valuable if you bought them in a special botique.

My grandmother was a great quilter. She and here sisters all sewed for a living at one time or another. I am pretty sure I get the quilting bug from them since I watched and always admired their skill.

I must be the mailman's daughter. I'm the only crafter, baker, for 2 or 3 generations

My sister tries but just is not a sewer. I'm always making things she asks for. She does cross stitch and her work is beautiful.

Yes I do! My mom isn't a sewer but she does beautiful tole painting (i.e Donna Dewberry) and used to make absolutely gorgeous door wreaths she sold to wealthy women for ridiculous money...LOL it's how she paid for all of my and my brother's extracurricular activities growing up.

And my aunt (mom's sister) is a master seamstress. She sewed almost all of the wedding gowns in our family, and can literally just look at any outfit and make it herself (even knitted garments). I so wish I'd inherited THAT sewing ability, but cannot make clothing that doesn't look homemade which is why she taught me first how to sew then how to make home dec items which segwayed into quilts.

I am one of five with three sisters. My mother and grandmother sewed. I am the only sibling who took up this craft, albeit later in life!

There are 4 of us. My aunt who I am very close to is an avid knitter so she taught me to knit. My 1 sister has mechanical abilities, give her a broken car & she can fix it where I have no interest or desire to get my hands greasy. She takes after our father who was a diesel mechanic his whole life. My youngest sister does alot of tile work & I can't think of what it's called right now, where you break up tiles & then arrange them in a picture. I am the only quilter (very new at it) but I also cross stitch & have crocheted. My brother doesn't have any of the above skills. My mother has never done any kind of crafts.

Blog Entries
    My Mom & Gramma did ceramics, Gramma tried talking me into alterations & making wedding dresses (should have listened!) but NO one quilted. My Dad's mom went to bingos & won quilts, she did it the easy way! everyone had sewing machines but didn't ever see but one of them use it. I am the only quilter out of my whole family (17 cousins one side & too many to count on the other side) Everyone crocheted I think (but my sister)

I am one of 11. Even my 2 least crafty sisters do scrapbooking. One does ceramics, she always gets awards for her work. One brother is a woodworker, 3 brothers are very machanical. 2 sisters sew - one does her own fashion designing she has even designed bridal dresses. One does some of the most beautiful counted cross stitch. I do quilting, clothing, knitting, crocheting, and have done weaving.
    I have been asked by 3 nieces and a sister to teach them quilting. My mom taught me to embroider.
    I guess being crafty runs in the family.

While others occasionally dally with crafts I am the craft fanatic! One minute crocheting a coffee cozy, then thread lace, then quilting, or making a jacket for myself.

Just me. I have friends that quilt and are crafty. That will have to do.

My girls all learned early to sew for themselves. In my family, we were introduced to needlework at an early age and we all love it. From crochet, knit, sew, quilt. Lots of other crafts come and go as well.

My mother sewed everything. She crocheted and embroidered. I do both of those. I found some quilt squares that she made in the 30s, but never made the quilt. Soooo I'm trying to complete that quilt. That is what brings me to this wonderful website. So many beautiful quilts and so much talent around the world. When my quilt is finished, I hope it is half as nice as all those that are posted.

I guess I got the bug from my Mom-she is always knitting, crocheting, sewing, painting, cross-stitch, hook rugs-you name it-she and I have tried it all. She taught me to sew when I was 5 and I have had some kind of needle in my hand ever since!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast