Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Didn't make quilt top big enough. Need advice on enlarging! >

Didn't make quilt top big enough. Need advice on enlarging!

Didn't make quilt top big enough. Need advice on enlarging!

Old 11-13-2013, 04:47 PM

Default Didn't make quilt top big enough. Need advice on enlarging!

Here is the quilt top I started. It is 33.5 inches by 40 inches. It is my first attempt using the twister tool and I really had no idea how many squares to use to get one large top. I really want something about 55 x 70. Attached is additional fabric I have purchased. I thought about framing it with the twister squares and white on all 4 sides then sashing and binding with the yardage. I thought about cutting the additional squares in half, sewing together in narrow strips and framing around the existing middle, or just simply sewing the squares into strips and framing the middle...help me figure something out! Majority rules!!
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 11-13-2013, 04:53 PM
RST

Consider making a bunch more twister blocks? You could add scrappy twister bits even with the white deal you've got going there-- it would end up feeling like an internal frame effect and could look kind of cool.

It's very much a matter of taste, but I personally don't like wide borders or multiple borders on a smaller quilt -- to me they look out of proportion and detract from the design. If you're not inclined to make it bigger with more twisters, I'd seriously consider just accepting that this is a wall or table topper size and embracing it as is.
Old 11-13-2013, 08:07 PM

I really like your quilt top! I am, however, no good at visualizing anything. I just have to try out ideas and see what happens. I just wanted to say I like what you have done so far. Just too cute!!

Dina
Old 11-13-2013, 08:15 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by RST View Post
Consider making a bunch more twister blocks? You could add scrappy twister bits even with the white deal you've got going there-- it would end up feeling like an internal frame effect and could look kind of cool.
I would make a border from twisters using the same white fabric at the edges. Then, if it still isn't big enough, repeat the twister border but a little wider that time. Like RST said, it will be self-framing.
Old 11-13-2013, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by pyffer3 View Post
Here is the quilt top I started. It is 33.5 inches by 40 inches. It is my first attempt using the twister tool and I really had no idea how many squares to use to get one large top. I really want something about 55 x 70. Attached is additional fabric I have purchased. I thought about framing it with the twister squares and white on all 4 sides then sashing and binding with the yardage. I thought about cutting the additional squares in half, sewing together in narrow strips and framing around the existing middle, or just simply sewing the squares into strips and framing the middle...help me figure something out! Majority rules!!
I think what I'd do is frame the twisters in with a a dark print. Then make large borders that would be made up of some fairly simple block, maybe rail fence to add more length and width. There are hundreds of simple blocks you could use to make the outer borders. As long as you used the same prints as the center panel, it ought to look fine.
Old 11-14-2013, 02:21 PM
Power Poster

I would use the fabric you wanted to use for the border to make more twister blocks. Or try using that fabric and scraps to make a piano key border all around and then do more borders that match the colors in the center. Strips for piano key border could be up to 8" or so.
Old 11-14-2013, 02:32 PM
Power Poster

Ditto what RST stated. You could also throw some pinwheels in since they're kind of a take on twisters.
Originally Posted by RST View Post

It's very much a matter of taste, but I personally don't like wide borders or multiple borders on a smaller quilt -- to me they look out of proportion and detract from the design. If you're not inclined to make it bigger with more twisters, I'd seriously consider just accepting that this is a wall or table topper size and embracing it as is.
Old 11-14-2013, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter View Post
I would make a border from twisters using the same white fabric at the edges. Then, if it still isn't big enough, repeat the twister border but a little wider that time. Like RST said, it will be self-framing.

I second MadQuilters idea!
Old 11-14-2013, 02:45 PM

I agree with madquilters, also. I would add a 3-4" white strip. And then 2 row's around the white with the twister block's(sq's). And then a 3-4" white around the 2 rows of the twisters.
Old 11-15-2013, 11:08 AM

Since the Twister tools have become so popular and so many projects have been photographed and shown on QB, many of us are making up our own designs from looking at what others have done.

Made up a design (or perhaps copied someone else's idea from years ago) with my new twister tool -- to make place mats using the midi-twister (6 1/2" blocks). The mats come in at 18 1/2 x 13 3/4" (before quilting/binding) -- BUT -- the sewn squares create a sheet of fabric ready to be cut by the tool which is 30 x 24" (4 x 5 blocks).

Getting ready to teach this as a class at my LQS -- did manage to cut down on the fabric requirements a bit by using border strips all the way around which are 6 1/2 x 4 1/2" -- this could be cut down a bit more by experienced folks, wanted the students to have some leeway.

When I plan now to use my twister tool, after making up the design or working with one already pictured like yours (which is STUNNING by the way), I count the number of blocks in the photograph and instead of multiplying that by my 6" (after seams) block, I use 3 3/4" which is about the size of the finished block after using the tool. This is not an exact amount -- rounded up a little, as if you do the math, my seams are like so many others, not quite all perfect!

You can figure the numbers for the big twister and the mini also! And use those as your guide.

This might help others as they get ready to use their twister tools for Xmas projects. Some tools use more fabric than expected but the time you save in using the tool justifies this, and the pattern is one which you like.