Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
It Didn't Wash Out Maybe?? >

It Didn't Wash Out Maybe??

It Didn't Wash Out Maybe??

Old 10-20-2017, 06:59 PM

Default It Didn't Wash Out Maybe??

I just finish a quilt that I marked with the Crayola Ultra Washable markers. After I washed it, with two color catchers, I was dismayed to see green spots on the back. I don't think it's the green fabric bleeding through, because the fabric was pre washed and the neighboring fabrics are just fine and clean. Do you think it is the markers? Or maybe my laundry soap? I'm kind of at a loss. Thanks for any help!
Old 10-20-2017, 07:01 PM
Power Poster

try dawn detergent for dishes on the spots, or Grandma's secret spot remover available at ACMore. good luck.
Old 10-20-2017, 07:35 PM

The crayola washable markers have always washed out for me.

I second lynnie's suggestion of dawn dish soap.

Good luck
Old 10-20-2017, 08:49 PM
Power Poster

Wow. Mine have always washed out. I also suggest Dawn
Old 10-21-2017, 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by lynnie View Post
try dawn detergent for dishes on the spots, or Grandma's secret spot remover available at ACMore. good luck.
Should she wash the whole quilt in Dawn, or just spot it with Dawn? I have so much to learn.
Old 10-21-2017, 05:23 AM

My Crayola markers have always washed out, so I'm guessing it may be something else on there. Also, IMHO, you don't have to use Dawn. Any dish soap will do.

~ C
Old 10-21-2017, 07:00 AM

I recently used a brown Crayola Ultra washable to mark a quilt. I am not ready to wash the quilt, but thought I could use a wet rag to spot clean it. It didn't work. Then I put the piece in the sink with running water and a dot of dawn. It still did no all come out.

My mistake was not testing. I just assumed since everyone else had great luck, so would I.
Old 10-21-2017, 07:26 AM
Power Poster

I've had great luck with the washable markers. Even though you prewashed the green fabric...that could be the culprit. I prewashed and dried a red Kim Diehl fabric as well as a Hoffman red fabric. The Hoffman bled when I applied steam. The other when I washed the quilt (with color catcher) the first time. I haven't rewashed the red quilt, but plan on using orvus and color catchers the second time around.
Old 10-21-2017, 08:57 AM
Power Poster

I have not had the Ultra markers fail me so far. I use them to mark all quilting lines and many have been on the quilt top for months before I finished and all the color has washed out. But you never know when one batch of one color got a little more pigment then before. But it is made to wash out so another wash with soak should take the color out. I wouldn't put any detergent in with only a few spots to get out. Put Dawn on the spots.
Old 10-21-2017, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by oksewglad View Post
I've had great luck with the washable markers. Even though you prewashed the green fabric...that could be the culprit.
Thanks for all your suggestions! I do now think it is the green fabric. It's at least 25 years old, so I'm guessing the dye wasn't as good (?). The first time I washed the quilt the color catchers came out a dirty color (from the markers I'm guessing) and then I've washed the quilt twice more since then using the dawn soap. Each time my color catchers came out a faint blue-green color.