Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Different 1/4" seams with 2 Brothers' presser foot

Blog Entries

Different 1/4" seams with 2 Brothers' presser foot

I am making a Hidden Wells quilt. I put it away for way too long.

When I returned to finish it and sewed the last 4 strip panels, I, apparently, used a different 1/4" foot (both made for my Brothers' machine). The second foot made a larger seam. Didn't realize it until I sewed all 4 pieces (9 strips each). I had to rip all of the seams in order to start over. I pressed the strips to get them back to a straight strip (they had stretched when ripped). I went over all seams with an eraser, which I purchased at Dollar General for $1.00 and it was amazing. It easily removed all of the bits of thread. The strips are now pressed and ready to resew. Lesson learned. Yolanda Wood River

Blog Entries
    Boy I hear you on this one...What I do now, is take one of the previous blocks made and measure the sewn seam on my machine and set it to match the seam from the blocks made before....

Blog Entries
    thanks for the eraser tip!
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Quote Originally Posted by littlebitoheaven View Post
    I am making a Hidden Wells quilt. I put it away for way too long.

When I returned to finish it and sewed the last 4 strip panels, I, apparently, used a different 1/4" foot (both made for my Brothers' machine). The second foot made a larger seam. Didn't realize it until I sewed all 4 pieces (9 strips each). I had to rip all of the seams in order to start over. I pressed the strips to get them back to a straight strip (they had stretched when ripped). I went over all seams with an eraser, which I purchased at Dollar General for $1.00 and it was amazing. It easily removed all of the bits of thread. The strips are now pressed and ready to resew. Lesson learned. Yolanda Wood River

Do not pull the seam open when you rip out and you won't have stretched edges. Just clip every 4 to 5 stitches on one side and pull the thread out on the other side.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by btiny36 View Post
    Boy I hear you on this one...What I do now, is take one of the previous blocks made and measure the sewn seam on my machine and set it to match the seam from the blocks made before....
    Perfect solution. I am a "seasoned" seamtress and can't believe that I made this mistake. Hopefully, never again. Thanks for your insight and input. Yolanda

I purchased a ruler from e-Bay that shows an accurate 1/4 inch,a scant 1/4 inch. I don't remember who I purchased it from, but, I would think you could go to e-Bay and find it. It's a small acrylic tool to measure accurately. It cost me a few bucks,it was worth it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quilter2090 View Post
    I purchased a ruler from e-Bay that shows an accurate 1/4 inch,a scant 1/4 inch. I don't remember who I purchased it from, but, I would think you could go to e-Bay and find it. It's a small acrylic tool to measure accurately. It cost me a few bucks,it was worth it.
    Thank you. I am going to look for it. I obviously need it. LOL Yolanda

Power Poster
    ​Man, don't you hate that! Well at least you fixed it and it didn't end up a UFO.

I have had this happen way too often when switching machines -- I use a lined note card to figure out where the 1/4" seam is on each of the different machines I own. It is annoying for sure.
    QuiltnLady1

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I feel your pain. I have 2 Brother machines. The 1/4" foot on one is not even really close to being 1/4". It is quite a bit over. The other one is just perfect. Of course, the feet are not interchangeable. That would be too easy.

Quote Originally Posted by littlebitoheaven View Post
    Thank you. I am going to look for it. I obviously need it. LOL Yolanda
    If you find it, I love to see the link please. I don't have enough experience to even know what to search for.

Thank you.
    ~: Ron :~

"You cut up fabric then sew it back together again? Really?"

My mother taught me to use the same measuring tool to measure everything. ruler yardstick,tape measure, etc. they can all be off enough from one to another to make a difference in what ever you are doing. Guess it makes a difference with feet too glad you wee able to fix it.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I use a lint roller to get the small bits of thread. But whatever works is all that matters.

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    http://quiltvil.startlogic.com/store/page5.html

This guide shows several different sizes and works pretty well. I'm sure there are other places to order it, but I knew Bonnie Hunter had it on her site.

Brother only makes 2 feet one with guide and one without. I have used both interchangeably. Not sure why you are getting various results. I also have used both on all of my machines
    Brother (XL-3500i, CV3550, SQ-9050, Dreamweaver XE6200D), Juki MO-2000QVP, Handiquilter Avante

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl View Post
    Brother only makes 2 feet one with guide and one without. I have used both interchangeably. Not sure why you are getting various results. I also have used both on all of my machines
    Hmmmm! I thought this was my problem but maybe not. I am not at my house with my sewing machine so I haven't double checked the foot issue. Thanks for giving me a "heads up" on this.

You can download and print a guide here to keep by your machine
    http://www.quiltdesignnw.com/QtrInchSeam.htm

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hevemi View Post
    You can download and print a guide here to keep by your machine
    http://www.quiltdesignnw.com/QtrInchSeam.htm
    Thank you, hevemi! I have downloaded it. You are so helpful. Yolanda Wood River