Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Discouraged

Don't bog yourself down with details! Don't start with anything that has a name! LOL. I can't tell you how many beautiful quilts I've seen with the quilter just using left over pieces .... buy a pack of charm squares, or cut simple squares from whatever fabric you have...set them in rows using light/dark alternating colors. No matter what you put together, it will look great. Make a doll quilt first, and experiment with adding borders. Three inch squares make a great doll quilt, and the doll doesn't care what colors you use.
    Keep it simple and you will graduate to more intricate stuff later. Good luck. Don't buy a quilt...take a good look at the messy, large stitching, cheap fabrics, non colorfast materials. Save that money to buy a good beginner book that will explain terms, techniques, etc. in basic language and with good pictures. Some "beginner" books assume you know the lingo! The first one I bought 11 years ago is "Quick and Easy Scrap Quilts" published by Leisure Arts. I wore it out and had it spiral bound about 2 years ago. I still refer to it more than any other book.
    Didn't mean to ramble on so...sorry. And again good luck.

please do not be discouraged, I have so many ideas from this board I will have to live to be a thousand years old hehe. there are tons of simple blocks out there that are very easy and fun. hang in there

If you just want squares, you could start out with just cutting the size squares of different matching fabrics you want to use and sew them together with maybe a border around each square to set each square apart. That is probably the simplest way, or just sew them all together in rows and then together row by row and put a solid border around the finished quilt squares. That would be a start.

Please do not be discouraged. Quilting is REALLY FUN AND EASY. Look for an easy pattern and don't think you can't, THINK I CAN.

Blog Entries
    Turning twenty is an easy quilt and turns out very nice. I have made several. Fast and furious is another that I really like for something quick. You can sent me a pm and I can tell you how to make the fast and furious. Uses only 3 fabrics.

try a 4 patch or a 9 patch pattern

I generally do things because I want the challenge of it. AND I know that if I get stuck I can come here to ask how to fix it.

Just pick one pattern & go for it. Nine-patch is an easy start.

My first quilt was 5in blocks cut from different fabric. I did 8 squares by 10 and I tyed it. Fast and easy

Hey Sis, just cut out some squares...any color...all the same size and piece them together. You'll have a quilt in no time. I've never used a pattern when making my quilts. Just whatever comes to my mind. It's all beautiful and an expression of who I am. Find your inner creativity. You can do it!

Don't get too discouraged my advice would be quit watching all the videos and get a simple rag quilt pattern they are the easiest and most forgiving if you make a mistake. That is my opinion anyway.
    Good luck let us know how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by dungeonquilter
    Have a look at the D9P Disappearing 9 Patch quilts.
    You sew a block 3 squares x 3 squares and then cut it vertically and horizontally in the center. Switch two diagonal corners, and come up with a more complicated block, without any complicated sewing.

I agree, DO NOT be discouraged!!! There are a lot of just square ideas out there for free!! An easy one is to sew strips of fabrics (all the same width) together. then cut them going across the strips so that you not have strips of blocks. then sew these strips together (moving 1 or 2 blocks down so that you do not have the same color next to each other) Viola!! You have a quilt with simple blocks!!

Hi. I understand the feeling of being overwhelmed. I have a ton of books and patterns and just want to be able to sit down and do them! However it's daunting. It's seems a violation somehow to cut the material and not be sure I know exactly what I'm doing. I took several free classes through our senior's college on different aspects of quilting. We covered using the rotary cutter, cutting techniques for different shapes etc. It was what I had read but made more sense in the context of a class. One session we tried out different quilting methods and I learned I need a lot more practice in free motion quilting before I try that on something I've worked so hard on.
    I also joined the Quilter's Guild in our town. There are many talented people who are wonderful in giving help to us newbies. Right now I have my first quilt on the sewing machine and am doing stitch in a ditch outline quilting. I know what I need to do in order to put the binding on and if I get into trouble I can always call one of my new friends.
    Good luck.
    Katherine

Blog Entries
    Here's one I made using only squares. It was relatively easy to do, and it was tied.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by scowlkat
    Just saw this quilt on here and it is a simple pattern:

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-104337-1.htm
    this is a simple top, nothing but squares so you only need to piece.
    For someone who is really new to sewing, though, this could be quite intimidating. Maybe a beginner class is a better suggestion, or find someone who sews and has made a quilt for some 1 on 1 support.

Quote Originally Posted by Dmacc502
    For weeks I have watched videos, read articles, searched forums, and I am more discouraged than ever. All you quilters make everything sound so easy. I can't find just a simple patch pattern. I don't want stars, diamonds, triangles, just squares. I am getting burned out on all the info and still not knowing anymore than I did when I started. I think I'll just buy a quilt.
    Don' be discouraged. Many of us have been quilting all our lives and we all had to learn, just like you. Here is a site where you can learn everything you need to know, all the techniques step by step, and find free patterns too: http://www.quilting.about.com. I use it all the time for a refresher course when I forget how to do something. Have fun!

Blog Entries
    Don't give up! Another easy quilt with "just squares" is a single or double irish chain, and it goes together fairly quickly. Even a 4-patch or 9-patch came be beautiful.
    And don't worry about anyone else's work. They were once beginners, too.

Try www.overallquilter.com

I made the Squares on Point quilt, only using 8 1/2 squares and wider borders using the same directions but ended up with a bigger quilt. The pattern is very easy and quick. This site is an online store only.

Good luck! Char
    Attached Images Attached Images

I am rather a newbie to quilting. I have been doing them for about 2 years. I just see what I would think is an easy pattern, I tell DH what I would like to do. He drafts my pattern and off I go. I only do squares and once I did a half square. Don't feel discouraged, there are days I feel that way too. I may have liked the fabric or pattern one day and not the next. I stick with it and glad I do. I enjoy what I do, that's all that matters to me. Others in this group have far more experience then I do, I love their quits, but, they too started somewhere

For weeks I have watched videos, read articles, searched forums, and I am more discouraged than ever. All you quilters make everything sound so easy. I can't find just a simple patch pattern. I don't want stars, diamonds, triangles, just squares. I am getting burned out on all the info and still not knowing anymore than I did when I started. I think I'll just buy a quilt.
    When I first started quilting I loved Eleanor Burns - Quilt in a Day, check it out the log cabin pattern is really easy. I also got really discouraged in the beginning, I tried a pattern out of a quilting magazine and it was a misprint. I didn't know it until I took the pattern and all my pieces to my mom and begged for help. She took them to her quilting guild and they all tried to help. That's when we found out the pattern was misprinted. I was ready to never quilt again, three years now and I love it. So look up quiltinaday.com and good luck.

The Sunny Side of Florida - Sarasota County
    Blog Entries
    You know, a nine patch quilt is easy to put together and it comes in a variety of designs.
    SandyG

Your Avatar doesn't say where you live, but I thought it might be Alabama. If we live anywhere near each other I'd be glad to help you get started. If by chance you live in the Dothan area, PM me (send a private message via email). Our quilt group meets Tuesday the 8th and the 22nd of this month. The private message area is at the top of the page.

Blog Entries
    do a strip quilt. My daughter is making her first quilt out of 2 inch strips (jelly roll) and it is just beautiful. Easy and fun. I still love doing them :)

Blog Entries
    do a strip quilt. My daughter is making her first quilt out of 2 inch strips (jelly roll) and it is just beautiful. Easy and fun. I still love doing them :) I'm in Miami if you are here

My first quilt was not designed nor did I use any pattern. I asked friends who sewed if they had any old fabric they would give me. One woman gave me lots of scraps. I was very careful and cut 6 1/2 Inch squares out of her different fabrics and the rest from plain white cotton fabric I bought at walmart. I did'nt know any one who made quilts and knew nothing about them except I wanted to make one. I took each square and using a pencil and a ruler, I made 1/4" lines around each square.(all of them) and there were quite a few. I then started hand sewing them together, one colored or print and one white. the next row I alternated so there were never 2 whites together. It took me almost a yr with 2 small boys and a parttime job and being a wife too. That quilt is on my bed and I love it to death. It is now almost 20 yrs old. I look at it now and think I did a wonderful job. every corner matches perfectly. I bought a little flower stencil and a heart stencil. On the white ones, I stitched the flower and there was still room so I put little hearts in each corner. On the colored ones, I used a school ruler and made diagonal lines. I love my quilt. It was a full size for several yrs and then we bought a queen size bed and I took the binding(white) off and added about 10 more inches of white on the front and back with batting between and sewed it to the edges of my quilt and added to the binding and finished it with a stencil I bought. Please do not be intimated by these wonderful women here. Everyone of us started somewhere and I am as much in awe of them and their artistic ability as you are. I only hand stitch and that way I can control my sewing better. I make baby quilts for every new baby in the family. I started a dresdon plate yrs ago and it is waiting for me to put together but I have to get on here everyday and read every single post. I will get my quilt out soon and finish it and then you will get to see my quilt on here. They are all here to teach us newbies and to show us what is possible. I will be looking for a quilt from you in the near future. Suzette

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast