Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Do any of you quilters also machine embroider?

Quote Originally Posted by LindaR
    these are the scissor holders I did for Christmas....I put the whooping crane scissors in them....they loved them
    Wow... they're beautiful. Thank you for sharing.

Those are so cute!!

I bought my latest machine, because it does the embroidery...so now I am learning all of that...and it has some amazing patterns you can upload right from the computer, onto my sewing machine, and the possibilities are now endless...I'm currently working embroidered blocks into my quilts. I was taught years ago to do it by hand...but I just love the machine embroidering now.

I LOVE that peacock...I need to spend the money and time getting all the patterns for my machine...It certainly seems like it would be worth it.

I too enjoy both quilting and machine embroidery--I am currently embroidering on old jeans to make jean quilts--what fun--good for grandkids as they stand up to the rough handling. Would like to exchange ideas on how to incorporate both hobbies.

I want to learn to make labels - where does one find alphabets small enugh to write a few lines of text? I have pFAFF 2170 and like to describe the quilt inspiration on the label ...

Blog Entries
    I want to learn to make labels - where does one find alphabets small enugh to write a few lines of text? I have pFAFF 2170 and like to describe the quilt inspiration on the label ...

can you adjust your built in letters?

All the embroidery machines that I have looked at you can change the size of the lettering, usually on the screen. If you have a digitizing program the possibilities are endless. When stitching in small lettering you have to be careful that you can still read it. Though I have all brothers, even the older one I can adjust sizes.

J9
    I am now thinking I should have taken the Brother rough! My singer stinks!! It keep beeping, wont let me sew no matter what I do to fix the problem! I don't have anyone around within 2 hours that works on them!
    :oops:

I spent all day learning how and now have a presentable label for this quilt, but it took lots of fiddling and clipping between words too get it to what I considered a presentable standard ...; I am still interested in learning of other options...

do you know of digitizing software that is good and reasonably priced? I found two, Embird Plus and WinDaisy and am not yet satisfied....

I am using PE Design 7, it is expensive though. I think I paid about 800 for it and it depends on how much you will use it to whether it is worth it or not. For that you need to use it a fair bit. I started a long time ago with the original PE Design. I just recently did something for my kids biathlon team. Lettering is the easiest thing. Type a few things in and hit save. Both my machines have their own lettering as well and can stitch them out at almost any size.

The one I am using is Creative Drawings. I have used Pallet and Master Works both from Baby Lock. Creative costs about $700 but is by far the most robust. It will create designs for any machine.

All of them have a huge learning curve. But once you get the hang of it, you don't want to stop. Right now I am working on 12 spring flowers for a quilt. These motifs were all taken from photographs. I am so excited to finally understand this software enough to feel confident that I can do almost anything I want to do.

Which ever software you choose, find a yahoo group that supports it. Just like this group supports all things quilting and you can really learn from it, the same is true of a digitizing group.

I wish you the joy I have found in digitizing and being able to combine three of my favorite things, embroidery, quilting and gardening.

The way I digitize so I don't have to clip between words, is to change the color in the design for each word. Then I don't change the color of thread, but the machine stops as if I needed to. I just restart as if I had changed the thread.

Mary

that is a great tip! Thx!

hmmmm, guess I have to decide how serious I am about digitizing - in my book these are all "investments." You and I have the same life interests (tho I add genealogy to the mix). I am a hand quilter/embroiderer who uses machine piecing and am "willing" to do machine generated labels, but the design process is what I love the most...

I just finished a set of twelve original designs for blocks of the month and for all used a light table and tracing successfully to create applique patterns from photographs....

I need to think about how much I personally would need to digitize in order to reach my project goals.... thx!

Hi..I am new to the forum and I also like to use machine embroidery while making quilts...I am working on some Bunnycup applique block right now for a baby quilt...I have a Janome 300e and it will make a design up to 5 x 7in...It really is great to combine both quilting and embroidery...a different look.

yes i love to machine embroidery, i have the 350E - so much fun

Banned
    i do and i also embroider by hand.

Margie,
    Did you ever post any of the ME? I am at the beginner+ quilt level and I just bought the Quatro. I would like to be able to combine both.
    Thank you.
    Gee, originally from Western PA and a Steeler fan

Blog Entries
    I have a Baby lock Ellisimo, love it, also have a Baby Lock Quilter's Quest, and Baby Lock Decorator's Choice., I love them all. I like my Quest for most of my sewing at home, and my Ellisimo I use mainily for my embroidery, nice having two at home. Then for classes I use my Decorator's choice, that works for me. I was lost went my Quest went into the shop for her maintences. I had to use my embroidery machine for geneal sewing, it works very well, but I just had to change it to a regular sewing machine. I have lots of embroidery patterns, but there is always something else that you want or think you need. I have found a lot of them on Embroidery Library as well as other places.
    Nancy. . . Alameda, Ca.

Blog Entries
    I have a Brother Inovis1500D I use it all the time bor sewing and Imb so much fun...........

yes I do a lot of squares for baby quilts, I have a brother SE270D and will have a $4000.00 one before I retire

Quote Originally Posted by Rose Marie View Post
    Im curious about how you quilt a large quilt with embroidery.
    I see demos with small pieces but never a large quilt.
    They now have very large hoops that you could do a nice size square with. But is it too much for it to move with a large quilt.
    I was wondering about this subject too. I use my Janome 1100 SE and 1001 for all my sewing. There are some lovely "quilt block" designs around, but surely it would involve using the QAYG method, which I am a bit apprehensive about. It seems better to embroider the block first then assemble as normal, but of course the quilt would not be quilted would it? I have thought of doing an embroidered corner flower spray, or something flowing like vines and leafs instead of applique to see how that would work. But QAYG no way that's going to happen for me.

How did you ME on a roll of toilet paper????? I love it.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast