Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do any of you quilters also machine embroider? >

Do any of you quilters also machine embroider?

Do any of you quilters also machine embroider?

Old 02-14-2009, 01:31 PM
Power Poster

Oh dojo36, your magnolia quilt is lovely! And I love that peacock!!
Old 02-14-2009, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by sewnsewer2
Oh dojo36, your magnolia quilt is lovely! And I love that peacock!!
well thank you very much, that was just the top but it's finished now.
Old 02-15-2009, 04:30 AM

Here's my machine embroidery designs quilt that I've just finished.
I'm alway looking for ways to incorporate ME designs into my quilt blocks.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-46243.jpe  
Old 02-15-2009, 05:47 AM

I have been machine embroidering for about 5 years now and just now am beginning to feel comfortable with digitizing. I just completed a quilt for a friend's baby boy with original "critter" designs on it. My friend drew the designs for me.

I love using embroidery in quilts to make them more unique. Right now I am digitizing some spring flowers I plan to put into a quilt for my guest bed.
Old 02-15-2009, 07:10 AM

I an starting quiltembroidery but not for decorative purposes at the moment but I am getting braver. The most I ever do is the smallest zigzag stitch arpund the outsice of the pattern or a small running stitch aroun d the design for a baby quilt. I anm starting to read abound machine embroidery combined with hand embroidery and beading. Don't know if I have the courage to start. if and when I do it will be a tiny project.
carol gross(ceegee)
Old 02-15-2009, 08:23 AM

I bought the Janome 11000 when they first came on the market specifically to enhance my quilt making efforts. However, I make only large quilts and found that the weight of the quilt causes design distortion if I hoop and embroider all 3 quilt layers, so now I embroider the blocks first and then assemble the quilts. I have had a FEW designs sew out successfully on all three layers, especially along the border area, but it's pretty "iffey" so I don't make a habit of it. Once I've gone to all the expense in time, money and effort, I do not want to mess up a quilt by having an embroidery design not do right ... removing the stitches of a flawed embroidery design is a nightmare and leaves some permanent damage to the fabric.

Although I have downloaded a lot of free designs, the ones I buy are almost always very dense and elaborate, so they definitely require embroidery first and quilt assembly later. Whether my designs are bought or freely given, I think only of how I can use them on quilts.

I have successfully covered up some quilt boo-boos with machine embroidery, such as a large dragonfly sewn over a fabric flaw. I've also added free-standing lace butterflies tacked down to a quilt, leaving their wings free.
Old 02-15-2009, 08:42 AM
Banned

I use my embroidery machine mostly to do quilt labels. They're fun to do, and are always different.
Old 02-15-2009, 09:02 AM

Sew Lulu, I am major impressed with your alphabet quilt....wow! That is just fantastic. How long did that take you to make? Some lucky child is sure going to be happy!

I want to do an embroidered quilt.....you have inspired me to do so!

Bev
Old 02-15-2009, 09:09 AM

Hi,

I do lots of labels on my embroidery machine too. I have even sold a few to other quilters.
Made quite a few table runners with embroidery in them this year, but gave them all away as gifts.
Just finished an appliqued embroidered block yesterday with an apple basket on it, making a runner for myself. Need to do the other blocks, will take a photo when I am done.

I enjoyed reading all these posts about machine embroidery.....inspired me to do more with my machine. I need to do so since I just upgraded, again!

Happy stitching all..........

Bev
Old 02-15-2009, 10:14 AM
Maw

man do I love that peacock. It is beautiful. I bought my daughter a embroider machine (a cheep brother) from wal-mart but I have never tryed one yet.