Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Do You "Name" Your Quilt?

Hey leatheflea - I too am way too emotional and sometimes get carried away in my love of fabrics. One time I made an extremely dark strip quilt (during my cancer radiation treatments). I really hated it and hated to even give it away because of how I felt during the quilting process. But someone surely will enjoy it not knowing what I was going through at the time. Generally my charity quilts are of bright primary colors. I am trying to work out of my comfort zone and do some light yellows and pinks however.

Quote Originally Posted by All Thumbs
    Occasionally I do but mainly the ones that have given me a chuckle or a fit get named. My most recent one was Maroon Christmas Tree With Bear! I was trying to make my own pattern but ran out of fabric at the top. LOL Check it out.
    Very,very cute!!!!

Every quilt is named and labeled. Most also have a quilty "saying" on them too.

Quote Originally Posted by catrancher
    Every quilt is named and labeled. Most also have a quilty "saying" on them too.
    A quilty saying.....can you share one or two?

It's funny....I don't plan on naming them...in fact, I don't think I do. Seems like my family comes up with a name for whatever it is I'm working on. My daughter's quilt is being made for her and fiance.....she jokingly refers to it as "The Baby Maker".....thinks I'm pushing for a grandchild :) My first quilt I made my husband constantly referred to it as "momma's going back to school" quilt. My mom's table runner is "The Favorite One" because her's was the very 2nd project I ever worked on and everyone said "course you did her's first, she's your favorite!" Seems like if you listen....there's a name for every quilt ever made......some printable and some not! :) This weekend I worked on a project to hopefully put into the next International Round Robin and I named it before anyone in my family could jump in........I give it a week or two and they'll have come up with a different name!

The Spirit of Dancing Horses
    Name:  Attachment-74662.jpe
Views: 27
Size:  78.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Lori L
    It's funny....I don't plan on naming them...in fact, I don't think I do. Seems like my family comes up with a name for whatever it is I'm working on. My daughter's quilt is being made for her and fiance.....she jokingly refers to it as "The Baby Maker".....thinks I'm pushing for a grandchild :) My first quilt I made my husband constantly referred to it as "momma's going back to school" quilt. My mom's table runner is "The Favorite One" because her's was the very 2nd project I ever worked on and everyone said "course you did her's first, she's your favorite!" Seems like if you listen....there's a name for every quilt ever made......some printable and some not! :) This weekend I worked on a project to hopefully put into the next International Round Robin and I named it before anyone in my family could jump in........I give it a week or two and they'll have come up with a different name!
    Perfect name!!!!

yes , the title comes to me while I'm working on it. I hada simple quilt top and e a friend and I were picking the pattern and material her husband fept saying I don't see the star so of coursethe top became "Do you see the stars!"

I always name all of mine and include the name on the back. I am currently working on "When Irish Frogs are Smiling" for my American/Irish granddaughter. The fabric has green frogs wearing Irish hats and shamrocks.

I'm a namer. Some recent ones - "Naomi's Quilt" used fabric won from my friend Naomi who passed away recently; "Betty in the City", New York versions of Betty Boop with two NY fabrics as background; "Ramaya, Ridha & Iman" was a batik quilt with three blocks separate from the rest of the quilt. When I tried to think of something "in three" our neighbors' girls came to mind. It won an award in a local show and they were thrilled.

Naming quilts is fun, usually the name just comes to you, and it's helpful when referring to it in conversation "Naomi's quilt" instead of "the quilt I'm making with the fabrics I won from Naomi in our grabbag".

Quote Originally Posted by mrs. fitz
    I'm a namer. Some recent ones - "Naomi's Quilt" used fabric won from my friend Naomi who passed away recently; "Betty in the City", New York versions of Betty Boop with two NY fabrics as background; "Ramaya, Ridha & Iman" was a batik quilt with three blocks separate from the rest of the quilt. When I tried to think of something "in three" our neighbors' girls came to mind. It won an award in a local show and they were thrilled.

Naming quilts is fun, usually the name just comes to you, and it's helpful when referring to it in conversation "Naomi's quilt" instead of "the quilt I'm making with the fabrics I won from Naomi in our grabbag".
    Great names!!! Thanks for sharing!!!

Usually I don't name my quilts, but if you enter them in a quilt contest, you are required to have a name for your quilt. Sometimes thinking of a name is harder than sewing the quilt!

The flip side to this post is.....if you don't name your quilt.....what DO you call it when you are working on it? Just "the quilt" .....I'm just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by Lori L
    The flip side to this post is.....if you don't name your quilt.....what DO you call it when you are working on it? Just "the quilt" .....I'm just curious.
    Good question!!!

yes. It may just be the name the designer gave it, or it may be the name it tells me.
    After the work that goes into the quilts, they deserve to have some identity, especially when they talk to you.

Pati, in Phx

I have trouble thinking up names for the quilts I make. Usually turn that over to a friend who comes up with neat ideas and "borrow" her naming ideas.

Power Poster
    I never really thought about it. If it is a pattern I don't think I have the right to name it other than what the pattern is. I am not a designer so I will never be able to design one but now that you mention it I think I will name all my quilts from now on. Wait a minute I did create some of my own quilts even if they were nine or twelve block squares. It is what design fabric you put into it that is creative.

last year a quilter that had her quilts for sale in a local crafters store challenged me to name my quilts. I try but i really suck at it. the names are usually kinda lame. i agree with Madquilter comment.

Quote Originally Posted by Annz
    I never really thought about it. If it is a pattern I don't think I have the right to name it other than what the pattern is. I am not a designer so I will never be able to design one but now that you mention it I think I will name all my quilts from now on. Wait a minute I did create some of my own quilts even if they were nine or twelve block squares. It is what design fabric you put into it that is creative.
    In the end....YOU are the designer!!!! Name it anything up want!!!

I have had 3 of my own design....sort of. I used patterns from quilter's cache to make one sampler with 9 blocks for my Gramma that I called Gramma's Sampler. Then one with 25 different blocks called "The Anniversary Sampler", and one signature quilt Honesty, Responsibility and Duty for the leader of our Boy Scout pack.

The rest pic up names as I go...but mostly they are named after the person I'm giving them to so I can keep them separated. I've just started a patriotic sodoku quilt called "fireworks" and a D9P with race cars called "It's Racing Day".

Quote Originally Posted by Patti
    In the end....YOU are the designer!!!! Name it anything up want!!!
    Duh!!! Name it anything YOU want!!!

I like to design my own quilts and they always get named for design, like garden path, over easy, spring fling etc. But when I make a quilt for a specific person it becomes Sharons garden, Ryans racetrack, Aunt Elsies Ocean View. After reading here I think I'll try to be a little more creative.

Yep! I do, always put a label with a date and my name too! Was always taught if you make something you should be proud enough to put your name on it, I also paint so you always sign your paintings too!

Blog Entries
    I give the name of the quilt pattern and I also embroidered a Bible verse on all the ones I have given to my family. If I have designed it myself I will name it.

I do name some of mine as I've noted earlier. But not all.
    Very often, while making a new quilt top from a pattern, I will use the exact (as exact as I can make it) colors and if possible even the name of the manufacturer of the fabric. After all, the picture is most likely the thing about the pattern that caught my eye. And if I do, I have very often used the name that the designer has given the pattern.

I find that the quilts I like the most and would be the hardest to part with however, are mostly unnamed ones. Sometimes I think it's because I'm not quite finished with them in some way. As I look at them, I remember that they were all a real intellectual challenge as well as a sewing challenge. (I don't know if that makes any sense to anyone.)

But if I make a scrappy quilt top, using more or less standard blocks, and my own color combinations, I usually come up with a name for it in my head while I am working on it. The name will sort of come to me while I'm busy, as I think about the quilt itself.

I name my quilts too. I made a blue batik quilt for my son. He has always liked batik; he also plays the piano. The quilt name: Paul Plays the Blues.

Several of my quilts don't have labels. The ones I give away always have labels; the ones I've kept for myself do not. I also have inherited all my aunt's lovely totally hand made quilts. She never labeled them! :-( I wish she had...I've been taking them, a few at a time, to an appraiser. The only quilts that I know the dates on are the ones she gave me. It would have been so nice to have the dates and the reason for making the quilts. She also never took pictures of her quilts...and she made hundreds.

My on-going project is making labels for my quilts and also for my aunt's. At least they will have her name and where she lived in case they sometime pass to someone's hand that wasn't related to her!

I also keep a provenance on all my quilts with pictures, size, date started, date finished, the story behind and the making of the quilt with picture. I was lucky enough to decide to do this early on in my quilting, so that I have all of them recorded.

Paul Plays the Blues
    Name:  Attachment-74543.jpe
Views: 74
Size:  118.3 KB

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast