Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Do You Buy Fabric Only For Your Current Project or Do You Buy Just Because You Like I

hmmm a creative place to store fabric..... maybe a small file cabinet? You can cover it with a skirt of fabric to hide it and put a lamp, picture and decorations on top? Under the bed? My fabric room is about 9x8 and the fabric is on bookshelves and wire cubes. Will I see you at Keepsake's tent sale??

piney

Super Member Luv Quilts and Cats's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by raedar63 View Post
    I have too stopped buying I have so much it overwhelms me and I find I do nothing . Now the fabrics keep getting prettier and I also find my tastes have also changed . I am in the process of gathering and sorting for a few projects and the rest is going in the dump as well I mush have room to sew and currently I do not It is a long and difficult decision but don't you feel better now !
    Please don't dump the fabrics you are not going to keep. People on this board would love to have them I am sure. Most will pay for the shipping. Please don't dump them. There may be a quilting quild in your area that would take them, or a senior center. There's lots of options besides dumping them so that someone else gets to use what you don't want. Thanks!
    Luv Quilts and Cats
    Never underestimate the healing effects of beauty. - Florence Nightingale

Oh, my.....I am so sorry you lost your stash. I have a fairly good amount but I am always making NICU quilts, so my fabric does get used within a reasonable (define reasonable) time. However, I do have some fabric that I just HAD to have, and it has been 'sitting' for about 2 years. I have a used computer armoir, all my fabric is washed and folded, I don't starch/size it till I am ready to use it. My sewing area is in the basement, and using a dehumidifer during the summer takes care of the moisture issue.
    Deb Watkins - I woke up today on the right side of dirt. It is a good day.

I'm sorry to hear of your loss! We moved from a 3 story house to a motorhome with nearly no storage room. The chair I sit in up front, sits in a 4" hover as I stuff bags of stash under it. I don't buy a lot, but my DH tells me to buy when I find some I really like.
    Live Simply, Love Generously, Care Deeply,Speak Kindly, Leave the rest to GOD

Super Member Luv Quilts and Cats's Avatar
    Sorry you lost your stash. I tend to buy what I like and try to get some coordinating fabrics at the same time. I store them in Rubbermaid tubs in my bedroom. I have tried to not buy anything new, and have been picking from the stash for new projects, or if I really like a quilt I see, I get the kit. My stash is not arranged by color, something I have been meaning to do!
    Luv Quilts and Cats
    Never underestimate the healing effects of beauty. - Florence Nightingale

Lots of churches make lap quilts for the elderly or for childrens hospitals too. They could put that fabric to good use. I know several churches where I am do that.

I buy fabric that I like but I try to have a pattern first (but often don't). I too, live in NH and have a few people who sew at our LQS every other Friday that also raise chickens! I'm sorry you lost your stash.

project only usually, one might sneak in every now and again, but I usually have an idea in mind

Quote Originally Posted by beckyj View Post
    Please don.t dump fabric. Places need donations. Thrift stores, quilt guilds, Lutheran world relief. We make quilts for others and can always use fabric. Older designs, out of date fabrics are still great. Call a quilt store , they can usually give you the name of a guild nearby, someone will be thrilled.
    I second that! There are dozens of places and people that can use our discards!
    If you feel like you're special...it's 'cause you are!
    Momto5

Blog Entries
    have you seen the plastic tots that are thin and long and used for under bed storage.......

Sorry you had to throw out your stash I think I would die. I keep some in the spare BR in one of the bureau's but if I have company come I have to empty it out so they have some drawers. I have the rest in those Rubbermaid locking boxes and some in those plastic drawers which are sitting in my spare BR and also under the table in my sewing area which I have to share with DH as the computer room. I have made up my mind not to go to Joanne's no matter what so I can't buy more. My sister-in-law is coming to visit and I have to take her to Joanne's for some yarn and I'm hoping I don't see anything while I'm there. Why do we have to buy all this fabric and I used to do the same with yarn and still have 3 rubbermaid boxes of yarn which I am also trying to use up and not buy more. I must get busy and can start to use my hand so that will help get things done. I guess it's hopeless to think I won't buy something when I go to Joanne's or WalMart. Good luck ladies and gents. Sue

Sorry to hear about the loss of your stash, it must have been difficult to have to get rid of so much. I only have a small stash but am fortunate to have an extra bedroom to do my sewing and other crafts in, so it is stored in a small bookcase and plastic shoe boxes I purchase at Dollar Tree. I keep telling myself not to buy any more fabric, but then I see something I just have to get for some l project in the future. I am involved with a group at my LQS and we are making a quilt a month. The next project is going to be something to use up the scraps from our previous quilt tops, and I have plenty.
    Wendy in FL

If I had a dollar for every time I got distracted I wish I had some ice cream.

Power Poster
    I woud buy and buy then i said to myself you need to stop until you use what you have so for a whole year i didnt buy a thing so now i know i can go without buying i did it for one year. Lol
    QUILTNMO

Blog Entries
    I store my fabric in a couple of under the bed storage boxes. And my batting in a rubber maid tub. I quilt at the kitchen table. I had to move due to an abusive marriage. So I had to move from my home to my family home which is much smaller and already bursting at the seams. I traded my space for my freedom. And, I've never been happier. I gave away 3/4 of my stash to a group that makes quilts for nursing homes. And so far, I'm working on only buying for a specific project. And I do have a bit to play with and for specific quilts in mind. I do not need it all. It has taken me a long time to come to this. I have a very addictive personality. I still love my small stash and am using what I have saved for myself.

Treat yourself to a little "stash" and carve out a small place for yourself. Enjoy every minute your creating.

Don't forget, a church may want donations of fabric. And, there are a lot of people on this board who will use fabric that is not only quilt store quality. Maybe, more then you think. There is good quality fabric out there. I'm suprised someone hasn't snapped up your offer of FREE. I had no trouble finding people to donate my stash to.
    My little shinning stars. Brantley, Kaylynn, and Emmalee
    https://www.quiltinaday.com/eleanora...nontheFarm.asp

Thanks everyone for the support! Please, rest assured, I did NOT willingly toss my stash. It was bug, rodent and mildew infested - not usable to anyone because of the extensive damage. I would never, ever dumpster good, usable fabric. I am a quilt guild member and I help make charity quilts. If I was going to get rid of my stash, I would donate it to my guild for use in the charity quilts. I didn't want to toss my stash, I had to toss it. Thanks for the storage ideas. I am going to try the under bed boxes and possibly the rolling drawers in my clothes closet. We've put out mouse traps and "pantry pest" traps for moths. Don't know how to keep the garage dry, but I won't be storing anything good in there again. I've learned my lesson! Thanks again for your help! :-)
    Anita

The only place that housework comes before quilting is in the dictionary.

I have controlled stash, only what will fit in my closet in the sewing room. I cant resist a great sale but been trying to curtail myself. I don't want it to get to out of control, sorry your stash didn't work out so good for you. A good reminder for all of us not to get to carried away.

While I understand how you feel, please know there are organizations who would be happy to take your fabric. The ladies I quilt with make many quilts for donation and the fabrics are mainly received through the kindness of others.

Yes, this! She wasn't just throwing it away but had a reason behind it.

Quote Originally Posted by 117becca View Post
    I think the woman had to get rid of a lot of it because it mildewed and had become great mouse habitats...
    Anna Quilts

I store mine in plastic bins in my studio. Before we lived in the nice house I lived in a mobile home with ten children and a DH. DH and I used our walking closet to store a bolt of batting and several big bins of fabric. We also had under the bed storage boxes and the dressers were full of fabric. I miss the just going out and shopping for fabric also. My friends and I would have so much fun going on girl dates. We still go out but it is more for $1 ice cream at McDonalds.
    Anna Quilts

Blog Entries
    I store mine in plastic storage boxes and sorry for your loss

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ILoveToQuilt View Post
    For many years, I was "guilty" of buying fabric because I liked it and would say I'd use it someday. Well...I've had to stop this type of buying and let me tell you I miss it! DH and I have had to somewhat downsize and out went 90% of my stash, right into a dumpster! EEEKKKK! Some of my fabric had gotten moth eaten, some had become mouse nests. I stored my fabric in the large Rubbermaid tote boxes in a dry garage, which turned out to not be totally dry (mildew on some fabric). Now, I only buy fabrics for the project I am currently working on. I have less than 5 yards in my stash. Not really a stash now, is it? I guess my question is really this, how do you store your fabrics, so my types of mishaps won't happen (not the DH cleaning it out...LOL) but the bugs, rodents and mildew? I don't have room in my closets, and my sewing room is tiny (8 ft. x 9 ft) and shares space with book shelves and my DH's musical instruments., so neither of these is an option for me. Suggestions? Thanks for listening to my tale of woe...I'm a very sad quilter in New Hampshire!
    under the mattress...stored in space bags(which get opened and allowed to breathe once a month), stored in suitcases, the trunk of your car....if there is a will, there is a way!

I had problems with rodents in my previous house, then we downsized to a townhouse on the water and I have a tiny alcove in the garage that I share with laundry and dryer but it has 2 large windows and plenty of light and a great view. I bought utility cabinets and store my fabric by color or type in plastic shoe box size container. no problem with mildew nor rodents.

oh no i would cry if anything happened to my stash, when i start a new quilt i buy the fabric that moves me to make that quilt , if i have it in my stash i will use it , if i dont i go out and buy that certain fabric , or if i am just browsing thru the store and see something i lke i buy it !!

Have you ever considered the space bags, you know the kind that you suck out the air with a vacumn cleaner hose and store the bags under your bed. So sorry you had to throw away most of your stash

Blog Entries
    I have heard of people who store their stash between the mattress and box springs (this is usually to hide it from husbands). If you have a guest room, that might help.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast