Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Do You Buy Fabric Only For Your Current Project or Do You Buy Just Because You Like I

Unhappy Do You Buy Fabric Only For Your Current Project or Do You Buy Just Because You Like I

For many years, I was "guilty" of buying fabric because I liked it and would say I'd use it someday. Well...I've had to stop this type of buying and let me tell you I miss it! DH and I have had to somewhat downsize and out went 90% of my stash, right into a dumpster! EEEKKKK! Some of my fabric had gotten moth eaten, some had become mouse nests. I stored my fabric in the large Rubbermaid tote boxes in a dry garage, which turned out to not be totally dry (mildew on some fabric). Now, I only buy fabrics for the project I am currently working on. I have less than 5 yards in my stash. Not really a stash now, is it? I guess my question is really this, how do you store your fabrics, so my types of mishaps won't happen (not the DH cleaning it out...LOL) but the bugs, rodents and mildew? I don't have room in my closets, and my sewing room is tiny (8 ft. x 9 ft) and shares space with book shelves and my DH's musical instruments., so neither of these is an option for me. Suggestions? Thanks for listening to my tale of woe...I'm a very sad quilter in New Hampshire!
    Anita

The only place that housework comes before quilting is in the dictionary.

Oh you poor thing! I feel so bad that your stash has gone. I don't have a sewing room, so my own stash is stored flat-folded in the drawers of three Ikea Pax units. Each unit has 4 drawers and at the moment they are stuffed to the top. I've made myself a personal promise not to buy any more fabric until I use some of what I have. This is a promise I probably won't keep, because when I see a fabric I like, I have to buy it. My most recent crush is on a fabric called Folklorico "In The Beginning". Found two yards of it, used it for a quilt I just finished this week and now I discover that it comes in other colorways. Must have.
    Again - my sympathies to you and your depleted stash.
    A fabric stash is always missing that one fabric needed to finish the quilt on which you're working.

This is a very sad story....I am so sorry for your loss!!
    Penny aka PLS 1946

I threw my husband out and his dresser is now my stash holder!! That and a hope chest and a few rubbermaid totes..Since I don't have a sewing room all this is on my bedroom, and it does have a cluttered look, but I really don't care!! It's what makes me happy!!! Of course guess where I am going today...Joannes with my coupons to buy more fabric!!!

Power Poster
    Sorry you have lost your stash! I store my fabric in my sewing nook. It isn't very big but a have a small closet with shelves. It's enough for me. Can you go through a clothes closet and free up enough space for a rolling shelf unit? How about the rolling sweater rubbermaid containers that are made to roll under the bed? I find it best to store fabric in the same space I live, if I'm confortable, I figure my fabric is bug free and moisture free.

i only buy for a current project. I do have a stash that comes from "i'll make this someday" and someday has never gotten here. The only thing that I do "collect" is '30-s fabrics. I WILL make something out of them sooner or later.
    my name is becca and i'm a quilt-a-holic :-)

So sorry your stash had to be thrown away. My stash is so out of control it is all over my sewing room. I made up my mind that if I find something I just have to have I will find a pattern and buy the fabric and all the matching fabrics and make the project as soon as I can.

I have too stopped buying I have so much it overwhelms me and I find I do nothing . Now the fabrics keep getting prettier and I also find my tastes have also changed . I am in the process of gathering and sorting for a few projects and the rest is going in the dump as well I mush have room to sew and currently I do not It is a long and difficult decision but don't you feel better now !

Blog Entries
    Sorry for your loss of fabric. I am lucky that I do have a 'sewing room' that also houses my stash (in the closet, on shelves). I do purchase fabrics that I 'love' for future use (usually from the sale area). But I am running out of room in that closet, so lately I have been shopping/sewing from my stash. But just when I am getting the stash down to a manageable amount, I find more in the sale area that needs to go into my stash.

But I will NOT purchase so much that I would have to store in the garage and or in bins or in other rooms then my sewing room. It would be to easy to forget that it is 'hidden' in other places and not get used.
    "I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand." -Confucius

https://picasaweb.google.com/home

Please don.t dump fabric. Places need donations. Thrift stores, quilt guilds, Lutheran world relief. We make quilts for others and can always use fabric. Older designs, out of date fabrics are still great. Call a quilt store , they can usually give you the name of a guild nearby, someone will be thrilled.

I feel sad when someone has to take their stash to the dumpster. If you give to local charties then it is not a total waste. I have been trying to buy only what I need to complete a project. It is part of the new years resolution to finish ufos and only buy to finish them. I have been pretty good until yesterday. I gave in and bought a kit for a wall hanging that looks like a flag and also a baby quilt kit that I have had my eye on for some time. It has been hard to resist the BOMs since there are so many cute ones.
    Lorraine

When yall are buying fabric becaue you like it, how much are you buying? I saw a fabric I fell in love with & got 1 yard, I was told later that was not enough lol.

I turned our dining room into my sewing space and store my fabric in small clear plastic totes by project, in fabric bins on a bookcase and in an old curio cabinet. I am not buying any more fabric until I use up some of my stash and complete more projects. Sorry about your loss!

Banned
    Wow - sympathy from a fellow New Hampshire-ite
    I live alone so store anywhere I want. Every room in my apartment (my ex-husband and I bought a 2 family house)
    has cloth, batts etc.stored in large labeled plastic (Rubbermaid mostly) bins, except kitchen and bathroom. Tom, my ex, used to complain that I'd taken over the entire cellar when 1/2 was supposed to be his. Unlike me, he threw out anything he hadn't used in the last 5 minutes and no need for storage space.
    Last edited by gollytwo; 04-06-2012 at 06:48 AM. Reason: spelling, punctuation and grammar

I think the woman had to get rid of a lot of it because it mildewed and had become great mouse habitats...
    my name is becca and i'm a quilt-a-holic :-)

Sorry you had to loose so much fabric, that hurts. Years ago my basement got flooded & ended up throwing several trash bags of scraps that were being saved for quilting in my senior years. This year I gave up buying fabric for lent, as of now I have made it, but tomorrow will be another story. We have employee appreciation, yes I will be buying fabric, however this is justified because what I will be getting is for the current WIP.

Think of it as a new beginning - I look thru my stash all the time and discard ( give away) stuff I no longer have any interest in -Raedar63 is right your taste change in a short period of time. I due have a rule that I should not buy any new fabric unless I have a quilt idea-- haha, my "rule" has not been working for me.

Quote Originally Posted by beckyj View Post
    Please don.t dump fabric. Places need donations. Thrift stores, quilt guilds, Lutheran world relief. We make quilts for others and can always use fabric. Older designs, out of date fabrics are still great. Call a quilt store , they can usually give you the name of a guild nearby, someone will be thrilled.
    I have tried this . The only quilt shop anywhere near me is an hour away , The ladies they knew only want "quilt shop quality" The only thrift store around me tries to sell things for retail price . I have tried to give it away too but the bombardment of "fabric snob" questions sickened me . I felt like screaming IT IS FREAKING FREE!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by raedar63 View Post
    I have too stopped buying I have so much it overwhelms me and I find I do nothing . Now the fabrics keep getting prettier and I also find my tastes have also changed . I am in the process of gathering and sorting for a few projects and the rest is going in the dump as well I mush have room to sew and currently I do not It is a long and difficult decision but don't you feel better now !
    Please do not throw away in a dumpster. Donate to Salvation Army store or Goodwill or give away here on the QB for the price of postage.

To the OP, I am so sorry you lost so much to mildew, rodents and bugs. I am fortunate that I have plenty of storage in my living area of my house. My guest room has a large chest of drawers that is full of fabric. Then I have 3 under the bed size Rubber made storage containers also full of fabric. The closet of my guest room which is really my sewing room has prepackaged batting. I store my roll of batting under the rack of my LA. I don't have as much stash as many here though.

I go through things often and at the first sign of mouse activity I put out poison. I keep replenishing the poison until it is no longer taken. My cats aren't allowed in these rooms and mice seem to know it! Some years we get more activity than others.

I usually buy for a planned project. I do have fabric for a quilt for my spare room that I have not gotten to. I have scraps from previous fabrics all in plastic containers, in the spare bedroom closet, out of light.
    I never believe in the word can't,unless you've tried

I buy fabric just because I like it. But I don't buy more fabric than I can store properly.

I thought my plastic totes would be mouseproof but your experience has me questioning that. I use "ugly" and "unsuitable-for-quilt" fabrics for quilts that go to dog rescue organizations. They don't seem to mind the type or color combinations or even my mistakes. My sympathies to your for having to put your precious items in the dumpsters.
    Make it a scrappy happy day!

Blog Entries
    I'm sorry you lost your stash. Instead of looking at this as a negative, try to see the positive. You can now focus on one project at a time. You are not blowing your budget on something you don't really need (no matter how good it feels). You will stay current on the latest fabric trends. Your space can be much more orderly.

I also store my fabric in the rubbermaid bins but mine are in the house. (I am lucky enough to have a sewing room).
    Martina
    Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Fabric!

Quote Originally Posted by raedar63 View Post
    Oh don't throw it in the dump, please..... If it must go give it to a charity. A church or a donation center. There are so many that would love your stash.... Or post on Freecycle. I'm sure there is somebody that can benefit from your stash...

I still sometimes buy because I like, but right now, I'm trying VERY HARD to restrict myself to fabric that I need to finish a project. I have so much fabric and plenty of UFOs to complete. However, I go through ALL my stash twice a year. Most of it is in Rubbermaid containers. I can't understand why 90% would have been damaged - they got into ALL the containers? So sorry that happened.

My suggestion, since living without a stash makes it darn near impossible to do some things, is to either join swaps (where you will get a variety of items) or have a stash, but limit it to ONE Rubbermaid container and make sure it is a foot or more off the floor. It should do fine in the garage provided you actually regularly access the stuff. My Mom did this when we lived in Massachusetts, so I'm even familiar with the climate!

I have a cutting table and am trying to work my stash down to the 12 half boxes that fit on the shelf under it. My sister has a tiny, tiny sewing room, but she has that cutting table as well and stores her fabric underneath.

By the way, for a good laugh, I just finished using up fabric into pillowcases that my Mom bought at Giant in Framingham in the mid-70s.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast