Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you dare to break the rules? >

Do you dare to break the rules?

Do you dare to break the rules?

Old 12-19-2021, 05:54 AM

Yes, lately I’ve been making charity quilts using my stash and scraps. I have a few easy quilt patterns that are quick to sew up and I’m also piecing the backing. The fabrics are good quality, nothing ugly, I must have liked them when I bought them, perhaps it’s was a good deal. I think some of my stash was for some projects that I abandoned.
Old 12-19-2021, 07:02 AM
Power Poster

I do have some personal "rules/ quidelines" that matter to me.
Old 12-19-2021, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by juliasb View Post
I break the "rules" as often as I can. I want to be creative and refreshed when I complete a quilt. Quilting is fun and even if it is a commissioned quilt I want it unique.
Love ya, Julia! Rules are made to be broken!
Old 12-19-2021, 09:47 AM

I think it depends on what “rule” you are talking about. Sometimes you don’t have to flow a rule but that doesn’t mean you can totally ignore it. Just like the Wright Brother could not ignore gravity when creating a flying machine, quilters can’t ignore things like bias and fabric content. Doesn’t mean they have to limit your design choices, but you do have to keep your eye on anything you intentionally broke so that it doesn’t overwhelm your ability to create a flat quilt top that can be made into a finished quilt.
Old 12-19-2021, 11:04 AM
Power Poster

There are rules? Nobody told me!
Old 12-20-2021, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by RedGarnet222 View Post
There are rules? Nobody told me!
Hahahaha! Love it!
Old 12-20-2021, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by rjwilder View Post
Yes, lately I’ve been making charity quilts using my stash and scraps. I have a few easy quilt patterns that are quick to sew up and I’m also piecing the backing. The fabrics are good quality, nothing ugly, I must have liked them when I bought them, perhaps it’s was a good deal. I think some of my stash was for some projects that I abandoned.
I'll second this.
Old 12-20-2021, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by SuzSLO View Post
I think it depends on what “rule” you are talking about. Sometimes you don’t have to flow a rule but that doesn’t mean you can totally ignore it. Just like the Wright Brother could not ignore gravity when creating a flying machine, quilters can’t ignore things like bias and fabric content. Doesn’t mean they have to limit your design choices, but you do have to keep your eye on anything you intentionally broke so that it doesn’t overwhelm your ability to create a flat quilt top that can be made into a finished quilt.
So good.
My quilts lay flat and hang without warping. Bias: usually I follow these rules, but sometimes...... Quilting to a stable back usually will hold it in place. Fiber content: if it's a wall hanging, I might put silk, cotton, poly, metalic together.Even broadcloth, fish net, plastic vegetable bags, paint, acrylic spray, lace. If it needs to be snuggled and washed, it's cotton. That's all the rules I can think of.
What other situations do you think of?

Last edited by petthefabric; 12-20-2021 at 03:01 PM.
Old 12-21-2021, 03:01 AM

I haven't done this yet, but it does sound freeing! Its a great idea and sounds like you are having fun!
Old 12-21-2021, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by petthefabric View Post
So good.
My quilts lay flat and hang without warping. Bias: usually I follow these rules, but sometimes...... Quilting to a stable back usually will hold it in place. Fiber content: if it's a wall hanging, I might put silk, cotton, poly, metalic together.Even broadcloth, fish net, plastic vegetable bags, paint, acrylic spray, lace. If it needs to be snuggled and washed, it's cotton. That's all the rules I can think of.
What other situations do you think of?
One “rule” is that quilting should be distributed evenly over the quilt. If it is a quilt to be snuggled and washed, I would follow this rule. But I saw a fabulous quilt in a magazine recently that had a very closely quilted and intricate design that mimicked the piecing of the whole quilt, but was only down the center, leaving about 3/4 of the quilt more lightly quilted. And I could see doing that in a wall hanging.

The first quilt I ever tried to machine quilt was a panel. I used a bulky polyester batting because it was to be a gift and everyone loves fluffy quilts. It was a disaster. I wished I had used a different batting that was easier to shove under my tiny DSM.

And then there is the hand appliqué UFO I started using poly/cotton sheet fabric. Time to acknowledge that it’s never going to be finished and let it go. Sometimes the “rules” have developed because someone else has already made the mistake. Better to learn from others rather than proving you can do it just as badly.