Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Do you ever find you want to sew something simple and easy between quilts?

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Needle View Post
    Granddaughters convinced me to make them aprons. Does that count?
    I think that is when I'd invite them over to learn to sew. Aprons are so easy------ideal beginner projects.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

I like to make crumb blocks....at least that is what I have heard them called....just something simple that requires no thinking. Occasionally, I will make something like pjs. Just fun to make something I can sew and finish in an evening.

Blog Entries
    Well, Miss Judy, I hope you will hop on over to the doll quilt swap!
    Krystyna
    Feel the fear and do it anyway!

Yes - that's when I start strippin', stringin' & charmin'. Strips & strings go on muslin bases for "sleeping porch quilts" to be donated. Charms are made into twosies & foursies until I get enough for a small to medium lap quilt, also to be donated. Uses up stash & fabrics that I no longer like or wonder "what was I thinking when I bought that??"

I usuall sew afew pillowcases or the Million Pillocase Challenge.

I make wine bags to save as gifts, little zipper pouches, aprons, simple tote bags - that kind of stuff. Simple and fast are the keys - get something finished and you'll be more inspired!

I seem to have too many things waiting to be sewed. . . .
    Marie

You don't stop laughing because you grow old. You grow old because you stop laughing.
    A smile is something you can't give away; it always comes back to you.

I put together flannel receiving blankets, something I can do in one evening. As a beginning quilter/sewer I haven't tackled other items, maybe someday.

I've been making mug rugs...
    http://www.craftsy.com/user/333534/pattern-store?
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 17 Album of Blocks I Made for Others http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19654.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Yea, I just finished a quilt and I have the fabric to start some dresses for my two year old DGD. They are always so much fun to make and she always loves them so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Jo Anne B. View Post
    I put together flannel receiving blankets, something I can do in one evening. As a beginning quilter/sewer I haven't tackled other items, maybe someday.
    I've got 3 very simple little blankets to do for my coming GGS, I ought to get them out of the way-----------------AND INTO HIS HOUSE!
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

Power Poster
    Absolutely. I worked like a demon to make bags and quilted items for a craft fair in Nov., and fortunately did very well, with even a few more orders for Bow Tucks bags. However, once those orders were completed, I had to switch gears and work on something "easy" and "not challenging". I picked up the 2012 Craftsy BOM blocks and started where I'd left off, now I have them nearly finished, but I also have more bags cut out to sew when the mood hits. I'm trying to clear my decks of some UFO's so that next month I can begin to seriously make this year's family reunion quilt so my niece can get it quilted in plenty of time before the July 4th reunion. Judy will keep me focused to be sure I have it done in time,however, it's nice to not be responsible for the entire quilt, as she says I can't "retire" yet, saying I still have a few more quilts in me yet. If one projects gets borning or troublesome, I just switch to another and switching back and forth keeps me from getting bored.

Quote Originally Posted by Krystyna View Post
    Well, Miss Judy, I hope you will hop on over to the doll quilt swap!
    Not this time, but maybe in the future. Thanks for the offer though!

Blog Entries
    Those little quilts sometimes take more time, energy and patience than the big ones.
    Martina
    Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Fabric!

I have to let my brain wind down after finishing a large project. I just made some simple ear warmers for the grandkids in Norway. That was a fun project, now onto a bigger project.
    Alma
    Nami to 6

Blog Entries
    Yes,me, me, me!

Quote Originally Posted by judylg View Post
    Did some searching and found something that is easy and I have everything I could use in it, in my fabric. ((Even better! !!) Here is the link to it, hope it works.
    http://nanacompany.typepad.com/nanac...ll-quilts.html
    Not planning on copying it, but using some of the ideas.
    I agree that is a cute little project that gives many different ideas...i liked them

Blog Entries
    -I'm doing some quilting for my car. Some one put a cigarette burn in the ceiling liner and its right in my liner of vision in the rear view mirror and it is driving me crazy-so the plan is to replace with a whole cloth quilted liner and some scrappy quilt for the pieces at the sides of back wind screen and my arm rest. I bought some old time oil cloth to make some quilted water proof seat covers for swimming season to keep the seats dry Summer time is just around the corner I got to get ready- : )

Blog Entries
    Pillowcase dresses for Africa - Nacy Zieman will ship them.

I started making quilts as my "in-between" project. I used to make shirts and vests. Watching my wife quilt infected me with the bug. I only make fairly simple quilts, not the elaborate ones like my wife does. Now my in-between projects are usually clothesline-wrapped baskets. I don't know why, but making baskets calls to me. Years ago, I crocheted baskets out of macrame cord.

Tate
    King of the Rocketeers!

Yes something fast and easy, like a day project.

Want to make a bag to carry my music stand in, so tomorow I will visit the LQS and see if Kay has any "music" type fabric.
    You can get older, but you never have to grow up! Tomorrow's just a future yesterday!-Greg Fergerson

I embroider or make rag rug balls.

Sometimes it takes two or three easy sewing projects before returning to something more complicated. It takes the stress out of it all. But, we do love our sewing.
    ABCDEFG

It is interesting to see what everyone considers stressful and no brainers. For me, those string quilts are HIGHLY stressful. I also about had a nervous breakdown when I tried to do the Bonnie Hunter method of organizing scraps.

I find that if I work continually on a quilt I get very bored and frustrated. So, I stop and do something more productive even if it is just sewing up baby burp cloths. I also get very overwhelmed by colors sometimes. So, I try to keep projects of multiple color types in waiting. For my BOM last year it was in feed sack fabrics. So, I did the practice blocks in an older, earthy CT collection called Root of the Madder. This year I am doing a CW BOM and I have brights picked out to make my practice blocks from.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast