Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you ever have difficulty letting go of gifts you've made? >

Do you ever have difficulty letting go of gifts you've made?

Do you ever have difficulty letting go of gifts you've made?

Old 11-22-2011, 01:38 PM

Default Do you ever have difficulty letting go of gifts you've made?

My sister-in-law's family has their Christmas gift exchanges at Thanksgiving so I've been working with her to complete several gifts. In fact, I should be on my way over to work on one now! It's been so much fun, but sometimes it's hard to let go of some of them! Her brother bought fabric that she pieced and I quilted. I love how it turned out. I know some people don't like puffy quilts, okay, a lot of people, but it looks so snuggly and cozy for his Colorado winters. Grandma's getting a pieced and quilted shawl, but once it was quilted, we couldn't bring ourselves to cut the wedge to make it a shawl, so Grandma's getting a lap quilt. We might bring a machine and if she wants a shawl, we'll cut it and bind it for her. We used faux suede for the backing. I wasn't sure how that would work on the LA, but other than tweaking the tension a little, it was fine and the end result looks very luxurious. Auntie was going to get a minky quilt-as-you-go blanket, but it turns out that it's not being let out of the house - my brother even likes it! So, we are working on a bag for Auntie. It is 1/2 done and I'm loving that project too! The bag is made out of micro-suede and will have a cotton bag cover that attaches to buttons and letting the suede show through.

Is it wrong to say to the recipients, "Now, tell me if you'd rather have something else, because I like it so much, I barely wanted to part with it!"

I'll have to take pictures before the gifts leave, so I can share here.
Old 11-22-2011, 01:50 PM

Oh yes! In fact, I have a rocking chair that has a slot near the top of the back that's just perfect to slip a folded quilt through. When a quilt is entirely finished, but before it goes to its new home, it lives there for a while. Then it just feels like it's supposed to be there!

I made a bright blue and yellow ducky baby quilt a while back and have had many occasions to send it on to a new mama, but .... it has stayed with me instead. (Now if my daughter gets on the ball and gives her 3-year-old a baby brother/sister any time soon then I may can part with it!)
Old 11-22-2011, 02:01 PM

No actually if I make something for someone else in mind I just always know it is going to leave my house once it is done
Old 11-22-2011, 02:18 PM

Once I finish a quilt I rarely have any feelings towards it!? Some I'm glad to be done with; some I enjoy the way they look but I don't seem to have an emotional attachment to them. Have no idea why this is so....
Old 11-22-2011, 03:02 PM

Usually I make a quilt with that person's taste definitely in mind, but occasionally, I do unexpectedly get attached and it stays that way until I see the recipient wrap it around their shoulders.
Old 11-22-2011, 03:12 PM

I have no problem giving up a gift if I was making something with the intention of giving it as a gift. It's when I make a project with nobody in mind that I have a hard time giving up.
Old 11-22-2011, 03:13 PM

Sometimes I just love it and will make another but the gift is theirs. Although I do enjoy seeing it used at their home.
Old 11-22-2011, 03:17 PM

I just always hope they will love it as much as I do.
Old 11-22-2011, 03:36 PM
Power Poster

the quilt i made for my sister last year---oh how i loved that quilt! when it was all finished and i laid it out on my bed i declared..."i don't want to give it too her---it's too good! i want to keep it! i will make her a different one!"
to which my darling hubby said---"no- you made it for her- you need to give it to her---yes it's nice- but you can always make yourself another one" so i gave it up---
boy---i sure didn't want to---
and i doubt i will ever make anything like it again-since i make them up as i go- there is no way to duplicate it
... oh well-
so many quilts- so little time...
Old 11-22-2011, 03:40 PM

There have been a few times I have had a hard time giving up something I have gotten or made to give as a gift...but then I think of the reason I bought it, or made it and know it is supposed to be given to the intended person...and I know I would feel really guilty if I kept it for myself.