Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you ever struggle with something that should just be easy?? >

Do you ever struggle with something that should just be easy??

Do you ever struggle with something that should just be easy??

Old 09-24-2010, 07:14 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by merrylouw
Has anyone heard of that galloping horse? Perfection is something to strive for, right?
It's kind of funny though, I can give this advice to others, but just can't seem to follow it myself.
It would be different if I wasn't going to try to sell some things. I just have to get some of these bills paid, and noone is going to do it for me.
Old 09-24-2010, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by grammyp
Yup, especially if I have started something, put it away, then come back to finish it. I have learned not to stress. If the points don't match the way I want, well, so be it. As long as they aren't horrendous it will be ok.
My daughter who introduced me to quilting told me "no quilt is perfect - only the love that went into it - is." So when a point wont match, I remember what she said, and just enjoy the creation of another piece of love.
Old 09-25-2010, 03:47 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Sadiemae
When I can stand to look at it, I will take a picture and post.
I finally have pictures. Edit: And now I see the mistake I have to fix. I will be so glad when this thing is quilted and finished.

Heart Patches Wondercut Pattern
[ATTACH=CONFIG]93540[/ATTACH]

Heart Patches Wondercut Pattern/This photo shows the true colors.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]93541[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-93535.jpe   attachment-93536.jpe  
Old 09-26-2010, 03:15 AM

I wonder if I am the only who once in awhile struggles with something I shouldn't. I was fnishing a UFO top called Heart Patches. I have made it before with absolutely no problems. It went together like a dream.
This top I wanted to just chuck in the trash(It is still tempting!). It has 18 hearts which each have 6 hst and a rectangle, and it has 34 4-patches and 34 squares. This shouldn't be any big deal, but I struggled with my points matching and my seams matching. The only thing I can come up with is that one of the fabrics stretched.

Have you ever had an experience like this? Can you tell about it? My sister says I am anal about matching seams, but it is extremely frustrating. When I can stand to look at it, I will take a picture and post.
I too have a pattern that I'm struggling with. I've made this top multiple times...it's not difficult. It's a type of bargello but looks like a Trip Around the World. I started this one, got off track or something, misplace a strip or something, the whole thing was off. I started ripping after I found out what was wrong. Finally finished that ripping stuff, put it on design wall and there it hangs. I don't want to even touch the thing. I loved the fabric, love the pattern but am so disgusted with it and myself I can't stand to even touch it!! I know, I know, I'm nuts but that's how I feel. I need to finish it so keep looking at it and telling myself to "Just Do It" but so far......
Old 09-26-2010, 04:11 AM

well of course!not sewing a straight seam, not cutting the patches exactly right measurements, and of course binding!
and yes again hard on myself,

just need to learn the "10 yard" moto! or what longarm just said, 65mph in a high wind, wow, hard to see that one!!
thanks ladies. I do love reading on this board!
Old 09-26-2010, 04:31 AM

Every time I sew...but like the little train....I think I can, I think I can.
Old 09-26-2010, 05:48 AM
Power Poster

I hate it when I get hung up in some little bitty detail that goes awry. Something that I know is easy to do, but for some reason...it isn't on a given day...so yes, I know how you feel. :roll:
Old 09-26-2010, 06:13 AM

My first REAL quilt from a Christmas pattern (also an ASG project)
had to be cut in squares, rectangles, triangles etc. It took me three months to make because I was a beginner and a perfectionist. (Notice I said WAS) When I finished it, I wondered why I had several squares left over but figured it was because I made some mistakes and had to make over some squares. WRONG!!!!! I left out two whole lines in the quilt. The funny part is I never knew it till a month ago I took it in for show and tell and another quilter pointed out my mistake. Oh well! I love it anyway.
Old 09-26-2010, 06:14 AM

Yes, its called LIFE! :lol:
Old 09-26-2010, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by Nancy11442
I wonder if I am the only who once in awhile struggles with something I shouldn't. I was fnishing a UFO top called Heart Patches. I have made it before with absolutely no problems. It went together like a dream.
This top I wanted to just chuck in the trash(It is still tempting!). It has 18 hearts which each have 6 hst and a rectangle, and it has 34 4-patches and 34 squares. This shouldn't be any big deal, but I struggled with my points matching and my seams matching. The only thing I can come up with is that one of the fabrics stretched.

Have you ever had an experience like this? Can you tell about it? My sister says I am anal about matching seams, but it is extremely frustrating. When I can stand to look at it, I will take a picture and post.
I too have a pattern that I'm struggling with. I've made this top multiple times...it's not difficult. It's a type of bargello but looks like a Trip Around the World. I started this one, got off track or something, misplace a strip or something, the whole thing was off. I started ripping after I found out what was wrong. Finally finished that ripping stuff, put it on design wall and there it hangs. I don't want to even touch the thing. I loved the fabric, love the pattern but am so disgusted with it and myself I can't stand to even touch it!! I know, I know, I'm nuts but that's how I feel. I need to finish it so keep looking at it and telling myself to "Just Do It" but so far......
Now pack it away for six months and forget it. You'll be rested by then and six months smarter.