Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you have any old quilts from your grandmothers,family? >

Do you have any old quilts from your grandmothers,family?

Do you have any old quilts from your grandmothers,family?

Old 05-28-2010, 02:15 AM

I have inherited the ones that my grandomothers did not finish. A wedding ring quilt started by my fathers greatgrandmother, finished by my grandmother and I am now quilting it. Then My maternal grandmother cut a thousand ( it sure seems like it) hexagons and started piecing them together and now I am trying to hand finish those and make it into a quilt for my mother. I am hoping I will finish both in time to give to my parents for Christmas. It is kind of like I will be giving myself a quilt because I know someday they will come back to me but hopefully not for a long, long, long time.

Will try to take and post pictures later. The colors of the tops are not my choice. Do not know what they were thinking. I also have a polyester top that my paternal grandmother made. She loved polyester.
Old 05-28-2010, 03:10 AM

Oh, I do think I have the start to a wedding ring quilt, too.
Old 05-28-2010, 04:48 AM

I have several from my DH family. One, was his DGM's baby quilt. We have dated it to 1900-01. It is a full size monkey wrench in red, white, and blue. We rescued it when my MIL passes away. She stored it in a plastic bag, in a ceder chest!!!!!
I made reproductions of it for both his brothers last Christmas. Will post a picture when I fiqure out how.
We also have a compass rose quilt and several polyester and wool quilts from his DF's family.
Old 05-28-2010, 04:53 AM

I fiqured it out!!! Forgive me, I'm very new to this, and I am not computer savy!!!
This is the one we dated to 1900-01
Attached Thumbnails attachment-74814.jpe  
Old 05-28-2010, 06:04 AM

That is such a pretty pattern. Maybe you could draw templetes and post them ????? I've not seen that pattern before.
Old 05-28-2010, 06:30 AM

Quilt made by Great grandmother, GM, and my Mom, late teens or early 1920's.Mom was born 1897, and this was done for her "hope chest", but I don"t think they called it that back then. Quilt was always used, if not for the top of bed, thrn as a blanket. Fabric is thin, but really in very good shape.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-74776.jpe   attachment-74791.jpe   attachment-74792.jpe  
Old 05-28-2010, 07:07 AM
Pam

Oh, that is so pretty! I LOVE double wedding ring, always a favorite pattern.
Old 05-28-2010, 07:21 AM
Power Poster

Oh, its so neat to see all the old quilts. I dont have any either, guess my family wasnt into quilting!
Old 05-28-2010, 08:26 AM

My grandmother had an auction and sold her farm when I was a young teenager. I was offered any of her things that I wanted but I was young and STUPID and took nothing. She had quilts that she made that I remember sleeping under: I couldn't even move under these quilts they were so heavy. My dad crawled under them when she was quilting them to send the needle "back up". I should have my ... kicked for not taking them ALL.
Old 05-28-2010, 08:32 AM

We have 2 family quilts on a wall rack in our bedroom. One was made by my husband's grandmother. It was an unquilted top when she passed away. My SIL had it hand quilted by "the church ladies" in Tulsa OK and gave it to us for our wedding in 1981. The other is a tied log cabin quilt made by my grandmother. My mother gave it to me a few years ago. I don't know exactly when these quilts were pieced. We treasure them. Sorry I don't have a photo to post right now.