Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Do you have a fabric "regret"? I do....

When my mom passed away I found her square hard plastic purse from the 50s (remember those?) full of all her pretty hankies . I washed and ironed them and put them back in the purse and want to put them in a quilttop some day. Mom has been gone 15 years now.. recently my oldest daughter and I were talking and imagine my suprize when she told me that one thing she wished she had taken of her grandmothers was the square plastic purse grandma used to let her play with. Her eyes lit up when I told her I had it.
    My dad is 97 and can only wear plaid all cotton shirts. When his time comes I am hopeing that I can ask my stepmom if its okay that I take all of dads shirts so I can make a quilt top with them.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Jane View Post
    Oh my, you guys are collectively breaking my heart!!!!!!! I refuse to think about regrets, in any compartment of life. Move forward.
    AMEN, sister! Life is too short. I just want to "learn my lesson" and move on.

Like one other post, I sometimes regret when I buy fabric for projects not yet conceived. I went to JoAnn's just the other day to buy two pieces of fabric. Because of sale prices and coupons, I just couldn't resist buying other fabric and left with 7 or 8 pieces of fabric. But, I got such a deal (at least that's what I tell myself).

I honestly don't have any of those type of regrets. I am grateful that my sons wore all of their t-shirts out (and are still wearing some) and never had any interest in a t-shirt quilt. I just don't like them and I know I would have hated making them.

I do regret buying fabric for curtains for every room in the house we built. After we moved in (when I planned to make them) I realized we live far enough back and had enough porches that our house just doesn't need them. It is a log home and the scenery makes it work. Now, I have yards and yards of fabric from the early 90s. It frequently appears on the backs of projects!

My friend is making a table runner, really long, for her daughter using the old handkerchiefs. She is mounting them with fabric spray on a plain white fabric probably 30 inches wide and then covering them with organza and stitching that down with designs in the handkerchiefs and in the remaining white space. All the ones she is using are white with embroidery designs and very delicate lace. It is going to be beautiful

I am with Jane -- this thread is sad =/

{{Ladies}}

Blog Entries
    My grandmother gave me some lovely material that her mom gave her. My grandmother was 84 when she died so the piece of material was very old. I treasured it and thought one day I would make use of it but in the meantime, I stored it in a hope chest. Then in July, about 9 years ago now. lightening struck the house and it burned taking not only the material but the hope chest made by my beloved grandfather.

I had a hand pieced quilt top and some hand croched lace that my great grandmother had made. It was the early 1970s when long granny dresses were popular. I cut up the top made a dress and sewed the lace onto the sleeves. I loved the dress and wore it often. Since it was hand pieced, it came apart where I had cut through DGGMs stitching. I had to stitch it back together each time I washed it. My regret is that I don't have a picture of myself wearing it!

Let's be thankful for what we have and get back to quilting. No regrets. Life is to short!

My regret is that I did not get my dad's flannel shirts. I would have loved to have made a flannel rag quilt or some sort of memory quilt out of them. My sister went in and gave them all away even though I had told her not to do that until I could get what I wanted.....she did it out of spite, but that's another story. I had managed to get my hands on two of them that she had overlooked, but that is all. My DH and I had given my dad many flannel shirts over the years and he loved them and always wore them.
    Diane
    If you want to make God laugh, just tell him your plans......

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dunster View Post
    I know this isn't what you're looking for, but I regret buying so much fabric, because now there's no room for more.
    This was my regret too, except my reasoning is because when am I ever going to use every square inch of it up myself? Can't figure out who to put in writing that deserves to inherit my overly large stash.

I did get my moms sweatshirts and flannel pjs. Thrilled about that!

Blog Entries
    I wish I had just a part of a quilt my Grandma B made me when I was 5, I remember it very well I think I wore it out. it was a Dresdin plate with lots of different fabrics with yellow background.

Quote Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
    And I'm right there with you, too. Only a lot of my fabric I have now I don't care for. I've had it around for years and I've looked at it for so long, I don't like it any more. I have fabric lines, but they are dated (to me) and I like the newer, brighter and cheerier fabric now. For now on, I am only going to buy fabric I am going to use right away.
    The fabrics you no longer like are the ones you should match up the best you can and make quilts for the people who desparely need them. If that is something you simply don't want to do then give that fabric to groups that do this. In the little of Sonora, CA (in the Sierra Nevada foothills) there is a place to which people donate unwanted fabric and can donate their time, to make quilts for children in crisis. Probably there are a lot of these types of places if one knows how to find them (I'm electronically challenged, but I make quilts for areas in crisis, and there are so many of these right now!

My daughter-in-law made me a beautiful beautiful vest made from neckties she had purchased from thrift shops. It is a favorite of mine,
    Dutchgirl

Wink

My only regret is I haven't sewed enough. There's so much beautiful fabric out there now & I've run out of room. You know what they say: "She who dies with the most fabric didn't sew fast enough.

I regret that I didn't buy more of some of my favorite fabrics. I have some oldies but goodies (from the 90's!) that now that I really look at them, I wish I had scads more of them! And I wish I had some of my Grandmother's & Great Aunt's scraps from all the wonderful quilts they made.
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2