Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you have a fabric "regret"? I do.... >

Do you have a fabric "regret"? I do....

Do you have a fabric "regret"? I do....

Old 07-11-2012, 07:24 AM

Default Do you have a fabric "regret"? I do....

I regret that when my father passed away at age 83 that I didn't keep his ties. It was my idea to have each pall bearer wear one of dad's ties to the service. My dad had a big tie collection since he wore one every day of his working life. He kept them even during his retirement years. The one my husband chose to wear was my favorite and looks like a stained glass window. I DO have that one.

But a few months later it hit me that I should have kept his ties!! Mom had already donated them to Good Will before I realized I wanted them. Afterwards I came across and bought an old quilting book on the subject of using ties to make some nice quilted items .

That is my "fabric" regret.

Do you have one?

Last edited by nygal; 07-11-2012 at 07:29 AM.
Old 07-11-2012, 07:53 AM

I do too. My mom had a box of crocheted motifs that my DGM made. They were going to be a tablecloth. She died before she made enough of them and my mom asked me if I could finish them. There was no pattern and I said no. She couldn't remember what she did with them when I decided that I could make a quilt or pillows with them as an accent. I've always regretted not taking them. Every once in a while I think about them and it bothers me. I know I need to get over it since they are gone. I'm glad to know that I'm not alone with this regret.
Sue
Old 07-11-2012, 08:15 AM

When my Mom passed years ago I lived to far away to be there to see to the selling of her things. As an only child everything was left to me so I took the things the meant the most to me and I took all her quilting things and quilts. After the sale I remembered a box of quilt tops from the 30's and 40's she never quilted but it was to late they were already gone. How I wish I had them now.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:42 AM
Power Poster

I did save my Father's ties but I haven't done anything with them yet. I want to do the Bow Tie pattern in 4 wallhangings for myself and my 3 sisters. They will be there waiting for me when I get around to them. For the first couple of years it was too painful to look at them but I think I am about ready. As soon as my sore shoulder gets better, I am going on a sewing blitz. Sorry you missed your chance with the ties. You could do a nice pieced shirt block and put the tie you have with it and put them in a Shadowbox for your wall.
Old 07-11-2012, 09:17 AM

I forgot to tell you all that I DID take some of his pairs of socks. My sister and I were at my parents apartment at the same time and she asked for some and when she said that... it sounded like a good idea. They are dress socks and light weight. I put them on once in awhile when my feet are cold. I am glad I was there when she suggested it.
Old 07-11-2012, 10:32 AM
Power Poster

I know this isn't what you're looking for, but I regret buying so much fabric, because now there's no room for more.
Old 07-11-2012, 11:03 AM

After our son got married and moved out, we cleaned out his closet and gave stuff away that he didn't want. I wish I had kept the T-shirts that he got from various programs he participated in to make him a T-shirt quilt.
Old 07-11-2012, 12:51 PM

I don't have a fabric regret based on sentiment as above. However, I made a feathered star several years ago. The hardest pattern I've ever tackled. It turned out very well but I despise the fabric I used in the center block. Because of it, the top remains a UFO.
Old 07-11-2012, 01:11 PM

After my husband died I gave away all his clothing including his leather motorcycle jacket. I wished I would of kept his shirts for a quilt and some of his jeans to make our granddaughters bags out of
Old 07-11-2012, 04:21 PM

Yes, I have my dad's ties, and I asked my brothers, brothers in law, and nephews for theirs.. I cut them up, and am going to start making pillows for everyone as soon as I finish the project I'm working on.. I 'm going to crazy quilt them, and each will have a piece of everyone's tie.. I have an idea what I'm going to put on the labels.. Can't wait..