Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do You Iron Seams Open Or Iron Them Closed???? >

Do You Iron Seams Open Or Iron Them Closed????

Do You Iron Seams Open Or Iron Them Closed????

Old 10-18-2014, 05:10 AM

Default Do You Iron Seams Open Or Iron Them Closed????

I've come across a few patterns that have instructed to iron the seams open but I'm a little nervous about doing that. I feel they wouldn't be as strong. And that goes against everything I've been taught. Grandma taught me to iron the seam toward the darker fabric but I can see how ironing them open would be beneficial when hand quilting like I do. Sometimes those seams are a little tough to get through. What are your thoughts?
Old 10-18-2014, 05:23 AM

It all depends on the pattern and how the seams line up. I personally don't give any thought to the strength of the seam. They aren't going anywhere
Old 10-18-2014, 05:31 AM
Power Poster

Quilts use to be pieced by hand thus the stitches were a lot looser. I press open when I have more the two seams matching. Remember girls weren't allowed to wear jeans to school and how silly was that rule? Some quilting rules are just as silly now.
Old 10-18-2014, 05:43 AM

I prefer to press open my seams -- as my quilts are well used and washed, there has never been any indication of weakness in the seams -- pressing seams open keeps down the number of layers to sew through and there is never any confusion about which directions to press -- some of the patterns that my bee has used do indicate a direction for seam pressing -- pressing is one of my least favorite of quilting chores but a necessary one -- I guess that all of this is a matter of choice -- quilt police haven't complained about my pressing yet!! Do what you like and what works best for you!!
Old 10-18-2014, 06:02 AM
Power Poster

I prefer to press the seams to the side, but that's because it's usually easier for me to nest the seams and get a nicer join.

When necessary, I will press them open.

And - one can even mix the techniques in one piece if it will make the project turn out better!!
Old 10-18-2014, 06:03 AM

Automatically to side....but I would open if I felt necessary, so far not though.....
Old 10-18-2014, 06:11 AM
Power Poster

I only press seam open if there is going to be a large bulk of seams joined together in one place. I agree with you on strength but others might tell you it is all poppycock. The other reason is batting migration but I assume with all the improvements made with modern cotton batting that the issue has ceased being a concern.
Old 10-18-2014, 06:15 AM

I only iron them open when I absolutely have to. I prefer to the side so the seams nest nicely. But there are times when you need to reduce the bulk and it helps in the quilting when you do.
Old 10-18-2014, 06:27 AM

Pressing to the side was necessary when seams were hand sewn, but it isn't necessary with machine sewn seams. A machine sewn seam pressed open will not be weaker than one pressed to the side.

However, there are other reasons to press to the side, such as nesting, and stitching in the ditch (there isn't a ditch to stitch in when a seam is pressed open). I prefer pressing to the side for a number of reasons, but sometimes it makes more sense with the pattern to press open (if, for example, you want both pieces of fabric to be at the same level, rather than having one raised above the other).
Old 10-18-2014, 06:34 AM

Most the time I press seams to one side.