Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Do you know what they are called.

Blog Entries
    As often as I use different threads, I simply went to the dollar store and purchased a bag of the little hair elastic thingys....they come in different colors and there are so many of them, for $1.00.. if you loose em it's no big deal...just slip one over the spool it holds the thread in place till you use it again, I also use them on bobbins as well...

For the thread cones I use knee-highs that I have cut the toe out of.

Blog Entries
    That florist must not have understood what you are talking about because my shop use to get at least 5 types of flowers that had the netting on them. I recently ordered a BQ from a local shop and when I picked it up these nets were all over the floor along with lots of stems and foliage. They had just gotten a flower delivery and were cleaning and conditioning the new stems. Could you call another shop?

Take a $.95 shower scrubby apart. It's about a yard and a half of net in a tube. Cut off however much you need. This works for the large cones.

OMG LOLOLOL that struck me hilariously funny!!! I've never used a condom in my life, now at 57, I'm gonna buy them for thread covers, lollolol why do I find this so funny? Thanks for the laugh!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tothill View Post
    Once years ago I had nylon thread that kept slipping off the spool.

I used a condom with the end cut off. It worked like a charm.

LOLOL I don't feel so "warped" now, good to see I'm not the only one who found this really funny!!! I'm gonna start makin bibs sooner than I thought
    Quote Originally Posted by sandy l View Post
    LOL! I just wiped up coffee from the front of my shirt, what a hoot

If you have a florist in your town, their single flowers usually are shipped with netting over them. Even the florist shops at the grocery stores have them. I've asked them to save them for me so I haven't had to purchase any for years. The nettings are fairly long so for your embroidery threads, you can cut them in half.

Suz in Iowa

If you use one of the gadjets made to hold a cone of thread, that pulls the threas upward and through a loop, then into your machine, it will solve any problems of the thread not feeding properly.
    "If they give you ruled paper, write the other way."
    Juan Ramon Jimenez 1881-1958

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nanamoms View Post
    LOL...good thing I wasn't drinking my diet coke! Hmmm, just have to ask...are they in fluorescent colors and other specialities!! Waaahhhhhhhhhh! Since I am a single Senior Citizen, I can just see my sisters and DDIL's faces when they looked into my sewing notions "stash"!! HeHe
    Me too. I am 65 and never heard of these before. Have I sheltered myself from all these great things?
    A friend is someone who knows all about you and loves you anyway.

Blog Entries
    I am glad my tip has given lots of giggles.

I did have some explaining when a friend came over when my machines was set up and I was using the condom threat net.

I do appreciate all the tips on other things to use. No more condoms in this house. But there is a florist a block from where I work, so I will ask about flower nets.
    Attending University. I will graduate a year after my son and year before my daughter.

Dear Tothill, you have given alot of us a good laugh, I have tears running down my face from reading all the comments. Thank you and I will be laughing for days when I think of it. Makes me think of the joke about the old lady. Her minister came to call and when she went for coffee, he saw a bowl of oil with a condom in foil floating in it. He asked what she had that sitting on her panio for and she said she found it in the park. It said to use to preven disease and lubricate it. So she put it in a bowl and it had floated there all winter and she hadn't been sick once.

Quote Originally Posted by GailG View Post
    Actually this dunce here always thought that the mesh covers were used to STORE the thread to keep it from causing loose thread webs all over the place.
    You're not alone - that's what I thought they were for too! In fact I'm sure I saw them advertised for this on a website.
    Lang may yer lum reek. (I'm a knitter - hence - 'Knit-ette'. Confuses a lot of people!)

Originally Posted by GailG - Actually this dunce here always thought that the mesh covers were used to STORE the thread to keep it from causing loose thread webs all over the place.
    Quote Originally Posted by Knitette View Post
    You're not alone - that's what I thought they were for too! In fact I'm sure I saw them advertised for this on a website.
    GailG, you are not a dunce and nether are you, knitette. Thread nets are used for two main purposes - to avoid thread looping while you are embroidering, AND to stop thread from unwinding when it's not being used. In both cases, thread nets solve the problem easily and effectively.
    Alma
    Nami to 6

Walmart's in NY have cut mums with flower nets on and are only $5 - you would get several and also get to enjoy the flowers too!

Blog Entries
    Condoms!?!?!?!? Maybe that explains all the condom 'failures' ... lol

I am so glad I clicked on this thread - it has certainly been entertaining.

Blog Entries
    Donot have any condoms I'm a single lady but would the fingers from cheap rubber gloves work? I use any small nets I have free with different items. Lol about condom frightened the dogs.
    Finished is better than a UFO

thread socks
    I bought mine yrs ago at Joanne notions section. You cut it to lenght.
    Anna Quilts

Hi don't know what they are called but maybe you could use an old nylon stocking cut the top off and bottom if there pantyhose or just cut the the top off if they are knee highs maybe that will work , if you cant get to the store right away.

Smile thread nets vs condoms

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Tails View Post
    OMG LOLOLOL that struck me hilariously funny!!! I've never used a condom in my life, now at 57, I'm gonna buy them for thread covers, lollolol why do I find this so funny? Thanks for the laugh!!!!!
    So how many children did you have? Just saying. LOl

There is a gauze bandage you can get that is actually a tube....probably what you are thinking of.

Quote Originally Posted by kateyb View Post
    I knw someone who uses the cloth tubes (can't remember what they are called) that you can get as a medical supply. She cuts them to the size she needs and because they stretch they fit over the spools nicely. She says it is much less expensive and she thinks it works better.
    Marge Campbell
    TL18LS/Qbot automated quilter
    http://www.Lmcampbel.com

Would a bath scrubbie work?

In a pinch you can us panty hose cut to length. Or not in a pinch, but cheap ....

You can order them directly from Superior Threads also. They are called Thread Nets.

Power Poster
    I believe they are called thread socks.
    "Life's tragedy is that we get old too soon and wise too late".

Benjamin Franklin

LOL only 2
    Quote Originally Posted by psychonurse View Post
    So how many children did you have? Just saying. LOl

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast