Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Do You Let Your Pets in Your Sewing Room and, If You Do, How Do They Help?

Animal hair on quilts! Ugh! I used to judge a huge quilt show every year. Animal hair on quilts got to me, forget that I'm allergic to it--anyway, one had so much hair on it that I refused to judge it. My comment on the quilt card--"I don't judge animal hair."

I had dogs for 27 years and understand, but if you're going to give away/enter a quilt show, make sure that they are clean.

Sandy

I have three dogs. They always keep me company when I sew, look at the computer, take a shower etc. they just want to be with me...and that's ok with me. They don't mess with my fabric or thread or anything...they just want to be close.

Blog Entries
    My Yorkie, Max, comes in when he thinks he needs attention and jumps up into my lap. He will either try to stay there or will jump onto the machine table to look out the window in front of the machine. Either way, my sewing takes a break. LOL

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I used to but when I make things for people I know they might have hair or allergy issues,so they cant come in.That was the cats. I do let my little chihuahua in ,but she is only allowed on the doggy bed and she doesnt shed much and I clean daily.

Blog Entries
    I have four dogs, the 2 older ones usually do their own thing, but the 2 younger ones, both cocker spaniels, love to play together and always seem to want to play around my feet. The problem comes when they get too close and land on my foot pedal. I've gotten really quick at pulling the plug on the foot pedal to stop the run away sewing machine!! I definitely make sure it is off when I'm threading the needle, I have a horror of them landing on it and sewing my finger! When it gets too bad, I kick them outside, but what can I say...I love my dogs!! And yes, they are extremely spoiled!!

Quote Originally Posted by johans
    It's nice to hear a cat owner who restricts their cat away from sewing projects. I took our guild quilt to the LA'er yesterday. If it had been my quilt, I'd have left with my quilt as fast as I could. She tried once to get the cat off our finished top, but it kept coming back to where she was discussing our project. It's a good thing she's an excellent longarmer!! I was not happy with the scene.
    I have to agree. What happens with a personal quilt or fabric is one thing, what goes on with my quilt is another thing. I used to have an Amish lady to some handquilting for me...the smell was always so bad when the quilts came back, I finally quit using her to do quilting for me.

The only time my cat is interested is when I lay out squares on the floor. Then he messes them all up. My son( can't find a job) and his cat are on a long term visit.
    His cat will come and lay on the table and watch me sew or lay on the bed next to the table. Before they moved in I could leave the door open but my sons cat loves rubber bands. He can find a rubber band anywhere in the house. He takes off with it and doesn't care what it's attached to, like a spool of thread, a bundle of patterns. He just drags it all over the house.

I could never keep my kitty out of my craft room, She would never forgive me! She likes to measure things with my dress makers tape, (yes I regularly need to replace them) she also likes to swat at my fabric choices letting me know of her disapproval of that particular choice. She will often sit beside my machine checking the stitches that comes out on the other side :) Most often she's laying in her bed because helping mama is so exhausting!

My 2 dogs help by examining for possible edibility anything that falls on the floor. Fortunately they don't eat pins. he cat is not allowed in there if I am sewing! He likes to lie on top of the sewing machine. Diane C.

I have my grandson's cat Jilly that loves to be in my sewing room - she usually loves to watch me from my ironing board. I have a little pup, named Phyllis, who now sleeps in a basket on the floor, her little body buried in fleece, snoozing while I sew. She never leaves my side when I am in my workspace. Just got my sewing floor tiled and love it so much. Every fabric now organized and once again I know where everything is.

Blog Entries
    I have a large lab and he is welcome in every room but the quilting room. He knows he can't come in and usually doesn't try. He will lie outside the door and wait for me to come out. He is a wonderful dog and someone dumped him on our road 6 years ago. We have been blessed every day since!!

Blog Entries
    My baby is WHERE EVER I am! Bathroom, kitchen, sewing room, where ever! He just has to be close to me. I have a portable heater in my sewing room to warm it up quicker when I get in there & he lays right in front of that heater! I worry about his hair catching on fire but so far it hasn't!

My two dogs are always in whatever room I am in and my giant yellow long hair cat fifel lays behind the sewing machine to help pull material through and I have a little insane-a-cat who loves water and has to do dishes with me and hang out on the side of the tub when I take a shower

Blog Entries
    My sewing room belongs to my cat. He always jumps up on the table when I am cutting and I keep trying to tell him he is going to lose a little bit of his tail if he keeps doing that. I also keep trying to explain to him when he jumps into my lap when I am hand quilting that he is going to get a pin up his butt.

I can't keep my cats out of the sewing room, but I keep my machines and everything else covered. When I sew they don't like the noise, so I don't have to worry about them being in the way. I am careful about the thread pieces. I found the best place to keep them is in a plastic cup from fast food restaurant for milk shakes or floats. The cup has a small cutout hole and thread snips don't fall out.

Blog Entries
    I have a little Corgi and he comes in my sewing room when I am in there, but he doesn't bother anything, he just lays beside me, he has to be where I am all the time. He never has gotten on my fabric at all. He just lays there with me. I have 5 cats but they are outside all the time, so don't have to worry about them.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bunniequilter
    Hubby just gave me a chee-wawa puppy...too lazy to check the spelling right now. Her name is Lucy and she loves my sewing room. She tries to steal anything she can get ahold of and stash it in her bed. Couldn't keep her out anymore than I can keep Hubby or kids out.
    I have 4 chee-wawa puppies LOL
    They always want to test the quilts, they have full run of the house and let us live here.

Love my fur babies!

It depends, we have a cat - sometimes he will behave and sleep in his fav spot so I let him stay - but other times he wants to climb and get into things so he gets booted out ! :roll:

My cat is my sewing buddy. She is always in my sewing room when I am out there. I have a place all set up for her next to my sewing room. She can lay there while I sew and watch the birds at the bird feeder. I love having her out there.

I have birds but they are down stairs. I think a dog would be easy to train but a cat impossible. They would be master of the room.

Thanks for sharing. I really enjoyed reading about your pets and their attachments to you all and yours to them.

Some good points here though about possible sewing room dangers and allowing pets near items that will be donated or gifted to others.

My black lab and two cats come in the sewing room when I'm there. They help by keeping me company since I'm home all day by myself here in the middle of nowhere.

I have 3, and as you well know 3 personalities...#1 is like yours, sit on sewing machine and bites at thread or just sit and be in the way, #2 (she) will lay and watch me out of the way and then fall asleep with the hum...#3 is a pain in the butt, he is awkward, gets in front of me and then goes "what"?,knocks stuff off from his clumsyness...the dog, he stays away...

Blog Entries
    My pappillion has to be in what ever room that I am in or she will sit and constantly cry like a baby. The minute I open my guest/sewing room she will dash under the bed and stays there for hours[or till I go to the bathroom] Thats my baby!!!

Blog Entries
    I left my two cats run at large- not closing the spare bedroom door or my sewing area - but when I started to find yarn torn from the tassels on a very old pillow on the bed in the spare room, and I found needles in the carpeting in the livingroom, and the only place those could have come from was my pin cushion in the sewing room - it was time to close doors... so they are off limits now, and the cats know - i believe they even know why it is off limits, and although at first I saw the legs coming under the door pawing at anything to gain a bit of leverage to get in, they now just go lay on my bed and sleep - good place for them. I do miss them setting in the window and looking out - as they would see things and draw my attention to birds or squirrels galavanting around the yard outside. So, now I have to look out on my own periodically if I want to admire the signs of activity out there.

My female cat, Soxie, was my helping hand though - she'd check out my foot pedal and she got it to make a noise - the needle was going up and down and she loved the sound obviously - so she'd jump up on top to see what was making the noise; but none - then back down to the pedal where she could hear noise up on top - hmmmmmmmm, back and forth; one day as she was setting inthe window when I stepped on the pedal to sew a seam, and she saw the needle moving - that was when I paniced! What if she threw out a paw to catch that moving object - so that game had to end right there. She is fascinated with anythign that moves, as is her counterpart Yeller -he is a big yellow striped beautiful play baby - but he does not bother the sewing machine - he is more for his jingle balls, or anything laying around he can bat around; my pets are very entertaining - and I love them dearly - what more can I say?

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast