Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do You Let Your Pets in Your Sewing Room and, If You Do, How Do They Help? >

Do You Let Your Pets in Your Sewing Room and, If You Do, How Do They Help?

Do You Let Your Pets in Your Sewing Room and, If You Do, How Do They Help?

Old 02-24-2011, 04:16 PM

The rabbits are BANNED, though they'd love to chew cords and nibble cabinets. The bird is so tiny he only comes out of his huge cage when no one is cooking, no one is expected to come or go, and I can watch him carefully. I "lost" him in the house years ago and was terrified of what might happen. But, the rabbits have quilts. Belonging to a rabbit is hell for a quilt...chewing, tugging, piddling...it's where I send the *bad* quilts.
Old 02-24-2011, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by luvnquilt
My dog likes to lay under my sewing table when I'm working in the room- which is fine unless she gets comfortable before I start using the foot pedal- then she grumbles at me when she has to move LOL.
Same here and one time she rolled onto her side right on my foot pedal......close call!.....from then on I make sure she isn't laying next to my peddle :-)
Old 02-24-2011, 04:48 PM

My dog is trained to not go into the sewing room. He is also not permitted on the furniture or beds. I dont know anything about cats...friends say they cannot train them to do that...I dont know why, I never had any.
Old 02-24-2011, 04:55 PM

my dog came into my sewing room and just laied under the ironing board if i am using she lays by the computer i would talk to her if i was sitting after a while she would want to sit on my lap
Old 02-24-2011, 05:01 PM

my kitten comes to see what I'm doing and give to me a hug of and of course to see if I have something that might interest him. Or to do something silly to make me laugh
they are just so loveable
Old 02-24-2011, 05:03 PM

I have two dog beds and I usually have a friend or two sleeping nearby.

But do be careful about your pets being able to pick up pins or cloth or threads and swallowing them. Thread can be bad news.

I am careful to keep the trash in my trash cans and off the floor and my dogs are pretty good about not touching stuff set on a table.
Old 02-24-2011, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by SimpleCook29
LOL.. I have a 2 1/2 year old hyper as hell cocker spaniel. She is spoiled rotten. She loves to sit on my foot. While I am sewing (at the kitchen table) she sits on her designated kitchen chair like a good girl and just watches everything. She growles (nicely)at me when she has to go out. Other then that she pretty much just stayes at my feet no matter where I go. When the blinds are open she is positioned on the back f HER couch looking out the window keeping my apartment safe. Yes my do has her own couch.
LOL...I didn't know that Tinkerbelle had a twin! Tink has a bed next to my machine...but she stares at me if she has to go out. You need to understand her stares...she rarely barks. Unless someone has walked in front of HER house....in which she sits on the back of HER sofa looking out the window.
Old 02-24-2011, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by luvnquilt
My dog likes to lay under my sewing table when I'm working in the room- which is fine unless she gets comfortable before I start using the foot pedal- then she grumbles at me when she has to move LOL.
Ha ha ha..same with my two doxies..
Old 02-24-2011, 06:45 PM
Power Poster

The time I spend sewing is usually when the cats are napping.
It's like an old folks home around here between 10-2 or 3 hahahaha
But then they like to come in, walk around, nose around, find a spot and curl up somewhere.
I love my furbabies sooooo much!! :D:D:D:D:D
Old 02-24-2011, 06:51 PM

I have three fur-babies in my house. My chihuahua follows me everywhere. He lays in the floor in my sewing room. He cries if he can't be with me. LOUDLY.

My black lab and miniature poodle both want to be with me, but the lab is as big as my floor space and the poodle loves to snatch scraps and run. So, my dh built me a door into the studio. (besides the regular bedroom door) It looks like the bottom half of a dutch door. It's a little taller than my knee. It is on a hinge with a magnetic clasp. It is made of pegboard, so the dogs can see me through the holes. They can't open it because it swings outward, but the chihuahua can push it open if he needs to go outside, or get a drink of water. It is the perfect solution for us.