Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Do You Let Your Pets in Your Sewing Room and, If You Do, How Do They Help?

My cat is always in the same room where I am. She loves to sleep on all the quilts I'm working on and she loves to play with anything not nailed down. I always wash my quilts and I keep my floor vacuumed so I don't mind.

My kitty LeLu makes every step I make. She is my constant and best friend. She loves quilting . While I have a big quilt spread out she sleeps under it and doesnt even fuss when I have to move the hoop elsewhere on the quilt. She has a perch in my sewing room and rules her domain from there.

I had a cat but when I sewed she could lay by me or in a bed but never on my material or sewing projects. I could not stand to have a cat or cats all over my stuff. Just me

Blog Entries
    Our cat thinks it isn't a quilt unless he tries it out first. I don't approve, but sometimes he sneaks in when I leave the room and makes himself at home.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltnmore
    A picture says a thousand words!

I have 4 dogs and they'll come in to help supervise and make sure that I don't get lost in my sewing room. I do a lot of my sewing with my 3 treadle machines, they've all learned not to stick their noses in the treadle wheel. :roll:
    They often lay on the floor or the 2 big dogs will rest their head on my knee.

I had a cat that was trained - yes trained. When I first adopted her she would reach out for the pins. I tapped her paw with my finger each time she did that. She finally learned not to touch anything I was working on. If she did reach out I would just ask her: do you need to be toe tapped, and she withdrew her paw. Sadly I had to put her down 2 years ago because of cancer. You can train cats but it does take some patience on your part.

I just adopted two more cats and they are good helpers. To use my mat I have to move Winnie. To iron I have to move the Tootsie.

my dog maggie loves to come into my sewing room when i am there , she lays on her pillow and naps while i sew, she does have a habit of sticking her nose in my little garbage can and loves to chew on scraps or candy wrappers, other than that she is a good girl while in there

Quote Originally Posted by cmw0829
    I'm always mystified when I see a "for sale" ad (here or elsewhere) stating that the animals aren't allowed in the sewing room. How do you keep them out?

If I tried to keep my cats out of the room, I'd hear nothing but wailing and scratching! They have the full run of the room and often try to help.

My avatar likes to supervise my ironing and help the thread move off the spool as I sew. She likes to squeeze under the closed cabinet and make sure the foot control is OK. My other cat just likes to lay on the chair.
    This kitty in your avatar is beautiful. Is she a Norweigan Forest Cat? Is she a tuxie or a calico? I always admire her when your avatar appears.

When I am in this room sewing (avatar pic) my big gray and white cat (Fella) comes and lays on top of a pillow which I put on top of the cedar chest at the foot of the bed right behind me. It is his spot and he likes being where I am. He also sleeps there during the day when I am not here is what a family member told me. The orange and white one in the avatar picture also likes to be near when he wants to sleep; he has a spot on the covered stash on the bed. The 3rd kitty, Cuddles just likes to be wherever! She is a sweet little female that sleeps with me and is very cuddly but during the day she in on her own. Pets are such sweet companions and friends.

Of course. They hold down the quilt or fabric so it won't get away. lol.

Quote Originally Posted by mimi423
    I have three cats and love when I'm in there and they join me. That being said, I have had cats for 34 years, love them dearly, and have in the last year given in to wool applique. I fought getting into this because I just didn't need another fixation. Boy, do I love it. Anyway, my newest cat, he's a year and a half just LOVES and I mean LOVES to eat my wool. He also eats shoelaces down to the nub too but he just made swiss cheese out of a $34 piece of hand dyed wool. Still, I let them in, just have to keep my wool locked up. LOL
    I knew of a cat that had to be put down because it loved and ate wool. Surgery did not remedy the wool that had clogged up the intestinal track.

I don't let my cats in because I make stuff to sell and the pupper would just destroy the place. She sits at the bottom of the stairs and whines till I come back down from the sewing room so I have started sewing at the dining room table till she gets a bit older

I dearly love animals, cats, dogs, horses, birds, chickens and wild things...
    but they don't mix with quilting, unfortunately.
    Only one of you mentioned the distinct smell that animals leave behind when they sleep on a quilt or fabric.
    The owner can't smell it anymore because they are used to it. Fortunately the smell will go out when you wash it - usually...
    but the smell of a big dog can be quite strong. Or the odor from a litterbox....both can be absorbed by fabric,
    In fact sometimes even new fabric has a wierd smoky smell,
    which is one reason every quilter is advised to pre-wash it.
    If you have pets and are making quilts to be a gift or sold, add an extra row of stitching around the quilt near the binding, and wash it, (maybe even twice) especially if it is meant for a baby, or small child.
    Did you know that the reason some animals love to hang around your feet or sleep near them is because they love their smell?
    If they fuss, give them an old smelly shoe!
    Please don't hate me!
    I am one of those (not blessed) that has an unusually strong sense of smell...
    I can smell if your cup of coffee has sugar in it or not...or it is pigs, or it is cows that live in that barn over there across the fields I am driving by...
    Don't ever wish that dogs ever learn to talk!

This is a true story! When I lived in a two story house the phone was on a small table with two chairs beside it at the top of the stairs in a nook. Ms Kitty and her grown kitten owned the house, of course!
    Anyway, one day I heard voices from upstairs. I was alone in the house and was mystified. I crept quietly up the stairs. Ms. Kitty and C'mere were up there by the phone, each sitting upright in their own chair. As I watched,
    Ms.Kitty put out her paw and pressed the talk button on my answer phone. They both listened to all the messages, looking exactly like two secretaries.
    I laughed so hard that I collapsed on the stairs with helpless tears.
    From then on, they listened at least once a day.
    Ever afterwards, I had to explain to my friends that I might not get my phone messages, because I never could teach my secretary how to use the "save" button!

LMB
    RobertaMarie I love your cat. He is just adorable~

We have a little weiner dog and she has her own quilt in the sewing room. She comes in and sleeps while I sew and when she thinks we've been there long enough, she tells me she needs to go out! She never bothers anything, just needs to be close.

Quote Originally Posted by vschieve
    This kitty in your avatar is beautiful. Is she a Norweigan Forest Cat? Is she a tuxie or a calico? I always admire her when your avatar appears.
    Hi vschieve, thanks - isn't it funny how many of us put our pets in our avatars - love that yours is guarding the window! We don't know what she is since we got her at a shelter. But we've decided she's at least part Norwegian Forest Cat based on her body and fur. She's a calico but without the big splotches of color. The shelter called her a tortiecal because her non-white fur is more mottled than splotchy.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by katigirl
    Of course. They hold down the quilt or fabric so it won't get away. lol.
    That's a very true statement. And my kitties take their jobs seriously.

My cats love my sewing room also, but I try to keep them out because when they get in I find all my common pins pulled from the cushion and on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by cmw0829
    I'm always mystified when I see a "for sale" ad (here or elsewhere) stating that the animals aren't allowed in the sewing room. How do you keep them out?

If I tried to keep my cats out of the room, I'd hear nothing but wailing and scratching! They have the full run of the room and often try to help.

My avatar likes to supervise my ironing and help the thread move off the spool as I sew. She likes to squeeze under the closed cabinet and make sure the foot control is OK. My other cat just likes to lay on the chair.
    I have an animal gate across my sewing room door. If I let the cats in, there's cat hair everywhere. My little dog isn't interested.

I could not possibly do any quilting without the constant supervision of my dog, Casey. He is a great multi-tasker. He can nap and supervise at the same time He is a s sweet, 12 yo lasa apso.

My boys, Rowdy and Jasper are always on hand - usually keeping the rug next to my machine from flying away. The take their job seriously though and if I ever tried to shut them outside of the room when I was in there it would be painful to listen to their pitiful moans and groans at being left out.

Quote Originally Posted by purplefiend
    I have 4 dogs and they'll come in to help supervise and make sure that I don't get lost in my sewing room. I do a lot of my sewing with my 3 treadle machines, they've all learned not to stick their noses in the treadle wheel. :roll:
    They often lay on the floor or the 2 big dogs will rest their head on my knee.
    Here are pictures of my 4 dogs.

Annie(little one) and Terra
    Name:  Attachment-156658.jpe
Views: 11
Size:  58.2 KB

Annie and Choop
    Name:  Attachment-156659.jpe
Views: 8
Size:  40.4 KB

Annie
    Name:  Attachment-156660.jpe
Views: 11