Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Do You Let Your Pets in Your Sewing Room and, If You Do, How Do They Help?

Quote Originally Posted by cacarte
    Love the "bling" headgear!!
    Very stylish.
    they were in their halloween costumes. Molly's was a cowgirl hat. :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by mar32428
    Quote Originally Posted by cmw0829
    I'm always mystified when I see a "for sale" ad (here or elsewhere) stating that the animals aren't allowed in the sewing room. How do you keep them out?

If I tried to keep my cats out of the room, I'd hear nothing but wailing and scratching! They have the full run of the room and often try to help.

My avatar likes to supervise my ironing and help the thread move off the spool as I sew. She likes to squeeze under the closed cabinet and make sure the foot control is OK. My other cat just likes to lay on the chair.
    I have an animal gate across my sewing room door. If I let the cats in, there's cat hair everywhere. My little dog isn't interested.
    Keep a spray bottle of water handy Chase them out by spritzing them! They wii get the idea. Cats have good memories!
    You also might try the scent of orange or lemon in one of those wall plug scent vaporisers? Cats hate citrus!

I could not possibly do any quilting without the constant supervision of my dog, Casey. He is a great multi-tasker. He can nap and supervise at the same time He is a s sweet, 12 yo lasa apso.
    A hint...Keep him trimmed. His hair, if it sweeps the floor can pick up stuff.
    My car mechanic used to have a lasa-apso.. The dog clanked as it ran about the shop because it had picked up so many screws, nuts and bolts in its fur.

Casey is a mop dog without a mop. He goes to the doggie beauty parlor every couple of months to maintain his short hair style.

The groomer calls it his "Teddy Bear" cut.
    Having to constantly groom a dog with long hair would significantly cut into my quilting time.

I have attached a photo of him in his favorite supervising position. He is "on the job".

Cindy
    Attached Images Attached Images

OOPs!! NOT his supervising photo but cute anyway.

Casey is a mop dog without a mop. He goes to the doggie beauty parlor every couple of months to maintain his short hair style.

The groomer calls it his "Teddy Bear" cut.
    Having to constantly groom a dog with long hair would significantly cut into my quilting time.

I have attached a photo of him in his favorite supervising position. He is "on the job".

Cindy
    I love apsos! What a beauty he is! What a lovely friend you have! Thank you so much!
    (I forgot to say, I used to go to my mechanics place and trim his dog's fur to take out the nuts and bolts...The first time the mechanic was amazed at the large handful I gave him- He had not noticed the clanking! We had a good deal going - I checked his dog - and he checked my car!)

My dog, Shane (Spongedog Furpants), English Foxhound, lays on the floor directly in front of my ironing board so I can't get to it without disturbing him. Periodically he gets up and nudges me to remind me to take him out. Wouldn't have it any other way!

We have a dog that usually stays out of my sewing room, except at 5:00 for his dinner. I have no clue as to how he knows it's his dinner time. But, I hear this low growl, turn around, and there he is! :wink:

There's something about a closed door and a cat, they just can't STAND it. When I open the door to the sewing room, my cat is the first one in it. I can't tell you how many times I've shut him in there because I didn't know he was in there. Now we account for his whereabouts before we go to sleep at night.

Here's how my Buddy helps!

And here's how Floppy helps (my Avatar). She has a doggy bed in the sewing room but I guess it's not comfortable enough.

Floppy
    Name:  Attachment-121957.jpe
Views: 9
Size:  49.8 KB

Buddy, and YES, that is a project ON the machine that I was working on and stepped away from for a few minutes
    Name:  Attachment-121958.jpe
Views: 10
Size:  66.8 KB

I was just sewing the binding on a baby quilt and missing my recently deceased cat who always helped with anything that dangled....like binding hanging off the edge of the table. Once I couldn't figure out what my binding was hung up on ....looked down and it had fallen to the floor and become a cat bed! Gee I miss that guy.

Blog Entries
    My sweet BCs go where I go. In my sewing room, ShellSee will find a place to rest but my SueBee does a "You've got Mail" pup thing and gets up and follows me back and forth, back and forth, to and from my sewing room to my dining room where I do my pressing.

They have never found a resting place on my fabrics. They're good, sweet girls!! If inside, they stay beside me. I love them so much! :D :-D

Cute pictures!

Blog Entries
    My cats and dogs go everywhere except the room where I store fabric, and iron. My sewing collects enough hair as I work on it. DH has a short haired dog and cat. Both of mine have LONG fluffy hair. Ever seen how much hair comes off a malamute who doesn't live in the arctic? (Pounds of it!) :thumbup:

Dee
    My toy poodle Kokoa comes to my sewing room. I have a bed and water for her. Every so often she wants a kiss or hug. If she don't see me, she'll keep looking for me.

Quote Originally Posted by lalaland
    There's something about a closed door and a cat, they just can't STAND it. When I open the door to the sewing room, my cat is the first one in it. I can't tell you how many times I've shut him in there because I didn't know he was in there. Now we account for his whereabouts before we go to sleep at night.

Here's how my Buddy helps!

And here's how Floppy helps (my Avatar). She has a doggy bed in the sewing room but I guess it's not comfortable enough.
    Your Buddy is the most beautiful color! What a wonderful cat!
    He is almost too large to fit there. Look at it from his viewpoint, "It is just handy, I say"
    Maybe he would like a larger? softer? bed of his own,? with a pinch of catnip inside?

Quote Originally Posted by madamekelly
    My cats and dogs go everywhere except the room where I store fabric, and iron. My sewing collects enough hair as I work on it. DH has a short haired dog and cat. Both of mine have LONG fluffy hair. Ever seen how much hair comes off a malamute who doesn't live in the arctic? (Pounds of it!) :thumbup:
    Do you know any spinners? Some of them love to spin dog hair from a dog like yours. and some of them will groom him too.
    Curiously, I once knew a lady that had a large furry white dog, she was a spinner, and eventually she spun enough yarn to weave enough sparkling white cloth to make herself a chesterfield style coat from her dog's fur!
    It was beautiful! It had a remarkable texture, very silky and shiny.

Blog Entries
    Up until recently I did. There isn't a lot of room for myself and 2 dogs in my sewing room - my girls are big (they are my avatar.) A quilting friend from this board told me she sometimes has her dogs lay down by the door and I thought that was a great idea! It is too easy to trip over them and I don't want to step on them. This way my girls can be close by.

Quote Originally Posted by nativetexan
    goodness no, i don't let mine in. i have 3 cats now. my earlier cat, we lost at 17 years, had evidently eaten a tiny, tiny bit of poly batting and started throwing up everything. he ended up getting a barium enema and x-ray and another enema to get rid of the barium.
    so my 3 stay out. i have a bi-fold door and have to put a gallon of distilled water in front of it to keep them from opening it. but they behave and wait for me.
    I have 4 cats. I love them dearly. They are not allowed in my sewing room at all. I have a separate room for my LA. Once they got in there and laid on top of a quilt I had loaded and made a hole in the batting. They aren't allowed in our bedroom either. It took awhile but I trained them by spraying water in their face when they would catch me unaware opening the door. I have one that does that and knows she is going to get squirted. She runs in, claws a couch in the bedroom then runs as fast as she can back out. It's a game to her.

If some of you are wondering "how do you train a cat?"
    Here are some ideas to think about.
    Most cats have a vocabulary of words they know and understand.. It may be only a few or maybe more than 50.(because they don't choose to react to them, doesn't mean they don't know them.)
    Try this first...
    Walk around your house pretending you are your cat. Look where they can nap on a clean comfy place. Look through their eyes. Cats love clean!!! - Which is why they will curl up on new quilts or projects underway, like something being sewed. They also are fond of low open boxes. Ask yourself "If I were Kitty where would I be able to sleep?"
    If there is no clean comfy place, maybe in the sun...
    maybe you could make it(or them) a clean soft cushy bed from scrap batting and maybe covered with a pillowcase that can be washed and will hold a pinch of catnip as an extra bribe. It can be the ugliest fabric you have and kitty won't care!
    To keep them out, a spray of water in their faces and a strong NO! that you realy truly mean will work. Curiously cats have conciences - haven't you seen them look guilty when you catch them doing something forbidden?
    Another convincer is a flat piece of newspaper on a ironing board or other sewing surface. Carry a long rolled up piece of newspaper, or leave it handy, and when kitty sits or lays on the newspaper, give the flat newspaper a good noisy whack with the rolled up piece!
    SaY NO loudly too. Don't Don't hit the kitty! Just make a sudden loud thwack! Kitty will probably jump off. Pick up the kitty and put it on the newspaper, and thwack the newspaper again. Do this a third time, kolding kitty down. It will run off, and likely will never come back to that place. This is one way people train cats never to get on kitchen counters or tables, or not to go in dangerous places.
    Using cat manners - the thwack = your warning hiss, eventually will work with even the worst offenders.

I inherited my dads dog after he passed away and she follows me where ever I go. She is Maltese/Poodle and her name is Susey. Susey will lay right inside the doorway so when I leave she knows.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PattyS
    I inherited my dads dog after he passed away and she follows me where ever I go. She is Maltese/Poodle and her name is Susey. Susey will lay right inside the doorway so when I leave she knows.
    The shepherd in my avatar was my Dad's dog and Dad had adopted her from a family that could no longer keep her so she was bounced around early on in life. She's a great dog.

One of my black persians will stand in the back of my machine, and drape his paws across the top of the machine, plop his head between his paws and go to sleep! He is the only one allowed in there (I sew in the living room in front of the TV) and I have a white persian that will "launch" the thread from the spool across the room. I think he is going for a personal best on a distance shot. My Mastiff will just calmly take something off the sewing table, usually my pin cushion. Gotta watch him, he is the thief.

Our dog, Rascal, had her bed under a table in my sewing room and a basket with her toys. She died several years ago so I put her can of ashes in the toy box and she's still under the table in my sewing room.

Blog Entries
    Now that my kitties are older (5) they don't bother anything. They do like to check out fabric, but that all and that's ok with me.

My Sleepy cat (that's his name as well as his usual occupation) can usually be found in the sewing room with me.
    Most of the time he sits in the window behind my sewing machine and watches the birds and the squirrels in the oak tree outside. There are times, though, that he can be a regular nuisance. Sometimes, he wants to play the spool of thread on the sewing machine when I'm using it. He has even been known to try to catch the needle as it goes up and down. Sometimes he will decide it is nap time and lie down on whatever I'm sewing. It is quite difficult to move anything with a 12 pound lying on it. He is a very affectionate animal. If he thinks he hasn't had enough loving that day, he will force himself between me and whatever I'm working on and with purrs, head buts, and even light bites, force me to take time out for some mutual affection.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 LastLast