Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Which do you like better, Moda Bella or Kona Cotton?

Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)
    Blog Entries

Which do you like better, Moda Bella or Kona Cotton?

Or is your favorite solid a different brand?

Please share with us which solid you like best, and why.

Never heard of Moda Bella,but I really like Kona...GeesH! Did I actually MISS something quilty? I AM getting old! I am really slipping up! Thanks for the 'heads-up". Now I have to check that out!

Never used Moda Bella, but love Kona.

Blog Entries
    I would like to know too.

I have Kona muslin (by Kauman! Kona Bay is a different brand), and it's very good. It's just that I used to be able to get an even better muslin, which I think was made by SpringMaid, years ago.

I believe both Kona solids (the ones manufactured by Kaufman, not Kona Bay) and Moda Bella solids are broadcloth, which is a slightly different weave than we are used to in quilting cottons. I have purchase Kona solids in black and navy blue, but don't like them as much as others seem to. They are thicker and heavier and, when cut into strips, fray a lot. I am thinking of ordering Moda Bella next time. Although it is also a broadcloth, I have read that it is soft and silky, so I assume it is a lighter weight than Kona broadcloth.

I wonder why solid colors always seem to be broadcloth?

I have typically used Kona for solids. Not sure why but they are priced cheaper than Moda Bella solids at least in my neck of the woods. Just not that much of a difference in actual fabric/quality in my opinion.

I just ordered some of Moda's Bella Solids! I got Leaf Green for a backing, Christmas Red & a Cocoa for binding. I have on backordered their Snow Solid for a backing. I haven't sewn with the solids yet but I have used Moda before and really like it so I hope their solids are just as good as their prints.
    Sabrina
    Mommy to a 6 year old little girl, 3 dogs, 5 cats, and 2 fish. lol Life keeps me busy but when I have a moment, I love to sew
    http://ataleofamilitaryfamily.blogspot.com/
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/HugsLove

I love the Moda Bella's and have heard the Kona reds bleed.

Blog Entries
    Never used Moda Bella, but do use and like Kona cotton.
    Joyce

Four things you can't recover: The stone.....after the throw. The word......after its said. The occasion.....after its missed. The time......after its gone

I love the Moda Solids. Actually I'm in love with anything made by Moda.

I prefer RJR cotton supreme, P &B color spectrum and of those two mentioned Moda Bella. I think the Kona is a little heavier and looser weave than I like, but it is made in every color imaginable which is probably why most stores carry it more than other solids.

Being a solids junkie, I've used both Kona solids and Bella solids...together in the same quilt even. They do play well together, despite their subtle differences. It's almost as if Bella is the feminine version of Kona.

Both are 60x60 broadcloths, but Bella is not as 'harsh' as Kona and she has both a softer hand and a smoother, almost glowing finish. If I were mixing with batiks, I'd use Bella, hands down.

That said, Kona has gotten thinner over the years (like what fabric hasn't, right?) and now works much better than it used to with regular quilting cottons, especially after it's washed since that tightens up the weave quite noticeably.

I don't prefer one over the other, but rather choose based on the project, the price, the color, and the availability. I always buy solids in person when looking for an exact color coordination, which is usually the case, and have also used the RJR solids as a result. They are comparable to the Bella.
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

I always go with Kona cotton for solids!

Blog Entries
    i've been using Kona cottons solids for years- have never had a problem with any color running- or fading- they are good quality fabrics with true colors- and much more reasonably priced than any of the other solids i have seen hit the market- i will drive a long way to find kona-s
    especially since i can usually get them for $3-$4 a yard less than the (designer solids)
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

I never used Moda bella either but I really like Kona.
    Suzanne
    Asking a seamstress to mend is like asking Picasso to paint your garage.

Blog Entries
    Thousands of bolts has/had a good sale and I ordered some black Moda Bella just yesterday. I'm anxious to see how it compares to Kona.

I really like anything Moda also.
    Lorraine

I have never used them - I use Maywood for blenders. Would love to try either one - which ever is better priced.

I like Kona.
    Some people visit paradise, I live there.

I only had to touch a Moda Bella solid once and I'll never go back to Kona if I can keep from it.

Quote Originally Posted by Scissor Queen View Post
    I only had to touch a Moda Bella solid once and I'll never go back to Kona if I can keep from it.
    Ditto! And a close second is Northcott Colorworks. They both feel so good and and are great to work with.

Quote Originally Posted by roselady View Post
    I prefer RJR cotton supreme, P &B color spectrum and of those two mentioned Moda Bella. I think the Kona is a little heavier and looser weave than I like, but it is made in every color imaginable which is probably why most stores carry it more than other solids.
    I agree completely! P&B ist just great for hand quilting, but it's not available here in Germany anymore. Even RJR and the Bella Solids are hard to find! Most shops offer Kona Cotton but for me these fabrics are too heavy and coarse.

I'm a Moda girl :-)

Put me on the Kona side. Used it as a background for a Double Wedding Ring that I handquilted. Worked great!

With that said, I haven't done anything lately with the Kona solids so I'm interested to hear what everyone is saying.

Blog Entries
    I'm I the only one on here that just found out that Hobby Lobby carries the Kona Solids. I was pleasently surprised when I found out. Only solid I've used. Would like to compare one of these days.
    Vonda-Texas MiMi of 4 Beautiful Grandbabies

Kona cotton. I do not buy the Moda Bella at all. I like their thickness and they have never faded on me. Kona is also significantly cheaper then Bella solids and more readily available in a tremendous ray of colors.
    Last edited by Annaquilts; 02-18-2012 at 08:01 AM.
    Anna Quilts

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast